If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How in the HELL do I make my Apple TV 4 direct play only?

hobottshobotts Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There has to be a solution for this. And no, my bandwidth is not an issue. .I have Fios Gigabit.. It just seems that no matter what I do, Plex Cloud wants to transcode for any media that I watch on the Apple TV. Help me... PLEAAASSSEEE!!!!

Best Answer

• hobottshobotts Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@BigWheel Direct play previously worked until the new update.. That is the issue. If nothing changed but the client, then can you really say that we can play things it can direct play when it would direct play before the new update.

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited July 27

You play things it can direct play, and change the quality to something equal or higher than the media being played. Look at your server logs after playback starts and it will say why it decided to transcode

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • pkonnektompkonnektom Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This app works for me with Apple TV and Plex Cloud: mrmc.tv

• mlee.mba2005@ivey.camlee.mba2005@ivey.ca Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same problem. Since most recent update, it does not direct play. Also converts to 720p 2mb no matter what I do. I change setting both in video setting and app settings to 1080p 8mb, but it defaults back to 720p 2mb. There is no save setting button. Please help.

• hobottshobotts Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@BigWheel Direct play previously worked until the new update.. That is the issue. If nothing changed but the client, then can you really say that we can play things it can direct play when it would direct play before the new update.

• agonmarcagonmarc Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Hello, I have the same problem. High quality movies take up to 5 minutes and I get a message indicating that the server is not strong enough to sync conversion, but I want that the Apple TV to do the playback job.
    I'm using Nfuse as a test mode and playback is immediate.
    On the iPad I get something similar with the Plex client.
    The funny thing is that I have tried with Android and I do not have this problem.
    There should be some option of disabling transcoding, especially for those who have a poor server.

• pkonnektompkonnektom Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

To try get rid of this problems I bought an Nvidia Shield a couple of days ago but I didn't liked it and it wasn't working very well at all. PMP didn't play all files (as expected though) but Kodi was also somewhat unstable and the srt-files didn't showed up (maybe like inspected but I wanted to try it anyway). Android really sucked in my opinion and I returned it today. Now back with my ATV4, setting it up for Infuse instead. Until Plex Cloud does their "solves everything"-update I think the best solutions is: Infuse, PMS or VPS.