Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

The app MrMC for Apple TV seems to work flawlessly with Plex Cloud!

pkonnektompkonnektom Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 2017 in Apple TV

The app MrMC for Apple TV seems to work flawlessly with Plex Cloud! It's direct play and playing subtitles!

Best Answers

• jayz78jayz78 Posts: 204Members, Plex Pass ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

It's because they use their own player which is fantastic and plays back virtually any format even though Apple doesn't support them.

Plex on the other hand chose to use the built in tvOS player and do a fairly not so good job of setting up their transcoder to deal with the Apple TV.

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 392Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Same with Infuse 5. I think Plex may need to explore their own player. I'd pay a little extra for this too. I'm now watching first time movies with DTS/7.1 through Infuse 5. It's a shame because I love my Plex but I do like perfect playback and strong sound options for action packed and Sci-Fi titles. #FingersCrossed

At home, I'm running Plex on a 48TB on QNAP 871-T i7 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 3D 48" TVs, 2 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 and Roku. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    Desktop: 2 x Mac Mini & 2 iMac.
    Mobile: 4 iPads, 1 x iPhone 6, 1 x iPhone 7 Plus, 1 x iPhone 8, 1 x iPhone 8 Plus and an iPhone X.

Works at: DigiRAW Disc-to-Digital

Answers

• jayz78jayz78 Posts: 204Members, Plex Pass ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

It's because they use their own player which is fantastic and plays back virtually any format even though Apple doesn't support them.

Plex on the other hand chose to use the built in tvOS player and do a fairly not so good job of setting up their transcoder to deal with the Apple TV.

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 392Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Same with Infuse 5. I think Plex may need to explore their own player. I'd pay a little extra for this too. I'm now watching first time movies with DTS/7.1 through Infuse 5. It's a shame because I love my Plex but I do like perfect playback and strong sound options for action packed and Sci-Fi titles. #FingersCrossed

At home, I'm running Plex on a 48TB on QNAP 871-T i7 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 3D 48" TVs, 2 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 and Roku. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    Desktop: 2 x Mac Mini & 2 iMac.
    Mobile: 4 iPads, 1 x iPhone 6, 1 x iPhone 7 Plus, 1 x iPhone 8, 1 x iPhone 8 Plus and an iPhone X.

Works at: DigiRAW Disc-to-Digital

• mrmctvmrmctv Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

MrMC and MrMC Lite 3.5.0, now with natural Siri remote handling for navigation focus

• yoghovyoghov Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a dedicated Mac mini running OpenPHT served by Synology DS1817+. The OpenPHT is my favorite client, but decided to switch to Apple TV 4K about two weeks ago. I really like it. The video quality is way better on Apple TV, everything is finally centralized and I even ditched my Harmony remote. Very happy with setup and ordered another two ATVs.

The problem is that there is no ATV Plex client that is flawless: sideloaded Kodi, installed MrMC, Infuse Pro and, of course, the official Plex player. All except Plex have excellent playback, but lacking in UI, specially MrMC. As a graphic designer being in the industry for a couple decades I must say the latter has one of the worst user interface executions I’ve ever seen, hence not using it at all. I know the dev is here and is actively supporting the app and hope they will listen us and overhaul the interface in near future.

I can’t wait to test the Infuse beta and hope to see ATV native Kodi and OpenPHT apps.

• Nik3shNik3sh Posts: 125Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 15

@mrmctv now that your playback controls are top notch, I hope that you improve your UX that hopefully has a similar look and features to other Apple TV apps like Plex, iTunes movies, infuse. I know you have that Apple skin but it’s just looks poorly executed and rough.

• ersanersan Posts: 92Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 15

Hate the MrMc/Kodi interface (even with skins) - looking forward to when they support the Plex for Kodi Plugin (they said they were working on it)

• FatalmuzzaFatalmuzza Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Using Apple's video player is the optimal option. All bespoke solutions are comparatively clunky and never implement standard navigation. Look at the recent youtube update on ATV, an unmitigated disaster.

So in saying in that, this should not preclude local transcoding on the ATV, passing the stream to the native player.

• gdiongdion Posts: 76Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mrmctv Great work with the natural Siri remote handling & timeline scrubber thumbnals, you're in the right direction. One suggestion, swipping down from the top of the trackpad during playback should bring subtitles & audio/video settings (and swipping down hides them) and also disappear automatically after 10sec if the settings bar stays idle.

@Fatalmuzza said:
    Using Apple's video player is the optimal option. All bespoke solutions are comparatively clunky and never implement standard navigation. Look at the recent youtube update on ATV, an unmitigated disaster.

So in saying in that, this should not preclude local transcoding on the ATV, passing the stream to the native player.

Sorry but using Using Apple's video player is NOT the optimal option. Apple's video player can only handle content in very few container formats. That would mean, for example, no xxx.mkv handling. No audio handling besides AAC. Restriction on sub-title types

MrMC Version 3.5.0 has changed player gui handling including scrubbing that almost exactly match the Apple's video player handling.

@gdion said:
    @mrmctv Great work with the natural Siri remote handling & timeline scrubber thumbnals, you're in the right direction. One suggestion, swipping down from the top of the trackpad during playback should bring subtitles & audio/video settings (and swipping down hides them) and also disappear automatically after 10sec if the settings bar stays idle.

Thanks the kind words, we will be expanding progress bar capabilities under TestFlight for v 3.5.1. I do have to say that the new scrubber is very sweet.

• ersanersan Posts: 92Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 22

@Fatalmuzza said:

"Standard Navigation" on the Apple TV is limited and terrible. OSD controls are better and offer more flexibility without losing any functionality.

@gdion said:

Added in Testflight for v3.5.1'

• gdiongdion Posts: 76Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mrmctv That’s very nice to hear, thank you for adding! I think other users too will find this as a welcome addition.

@jrcorwin said:
    When is the Python support coming? It's still ugly as sin, unfortunately, but that should help to some degree.

Still planned for this TestFlight series (v3.5.1). Excising a few issues before we begin.

• pecinkopecinko Posts: 960Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jrcorwin said:
    When is the Python support coming? It's still ugly as sin, unfortunately, but that should help to some degree.

Why do you think python support has positive effect on eliminating ugliness? :smile:

Quartz theme for PlexConnectApp (Apple TV 4)
    Amber skin for PHT, Quartz
  • pecinkopecinko Posts: 960Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jrcorwin said:
    It could dramatically improve the ability to use better Kodi skins and their plugins.

Plugins are mostly used in skins for home shelves and/or fetching additional info/art. Most of this is already available in Plex.

It looks like MrMC is going for full KODI experience on tvOS. If that is the case, python could be useful in a way that you may install any skin from KODI repo, without thinking about if it will work. I guess you are right.

Quartz theme for PlexConnectApp (Apple TV 4)
    Amber skin for PHT, Quartz

Showing your age @jrcorwin :)

Here the latest status, python is back, plex for kodi running under MrMC

• JakdublinJakdublin Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mrmctv said:
    Showing your age @jrcorwin :)

Here the latest status, python is back, plex for kodi running under MrMC

Looks nice, but you can’t run Plex for Kodi with MRMC ON the Apple TV can you? I thought all you could use was the built in Plex client.

Sorry, should have be more clear. That is Plex for Kodi with MRMC running on the Apple TV :)