If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Control RasPlex over network?

NeodudeNeodude Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey folks,

I have a number of RasPlex's setup around the house and 2 in remote locations. The 2 in remote locations are used by my Father and my Monster-in-Law. They are not the most tech-savvy people on the planet and struggle with the basics of RasPlex especially as they only use it occasionally.

With this in mind I was wondering if there was a way to control these boxes remotely? I have setup Dynamic DNS and can access them via SSH but was hoping there would be a way to control them via the GUI remotely, something like VNC possibly?

Plex Server: Home Server "Gandalf": unRAID Pro 6 | Case: Lian-Li PC-D600WB | MB: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS | CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2670 | RAM: 64GB Crucial PC-1600 ECC | Cache: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Array: 4 x 4TB WD Red, 4 x 3TB WD Red | Gaming VM: Win10 & MSI GTX1070

Players: 6x RasPlex on RPi3.

Best Answer

Answers

• NeodudeNeodude Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That will certainly do the trick for now. VNC server would be nice though :)

Plex Server: Home Server "Gandalf": unRAID Pro 6 | Case: Lian-Li PC-D600WB | MB: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS | CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2670 | RAM: 64GB Crucial PC-1600 ECC | Cache: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Array: 4 x 4TB WD Red, 4 x 3TB WD Red | Gaming VM: Win10 & MSI GTX1070

Players: 6x RasPlex on RPi3.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 290Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I dont understand what you are trying to do, a VNC server is really not needed

if you want a GUI you can use the original plex app and use the cast feature so it works as a remote, plus I remember that there were some other apps that worked as a remote and a web app that I think that used xbmc-send to send commands to the player

• oviziiovizii Posts: 30Members ✭✭

@videotecaCNSU said:
    I dont understand what you are trying to do, a VNC server is really not needed

if you want a GUI you can use the original plex app and use the cast feature so it works as a remote, plus I remember that there were some other apps that worked as a remote and a web app that I think that used xbmc-send to send commands to the player

But to be able to use the plex app on your phone you'd have to be on the same network as rasplex, right? So he could VPN into his father#s network then pley/cast from his phone using the plex app?

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 290Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ovizii said:

But to be able to use the plex app on your phone you'd have to be on the same network as rasplex, right? So he could VPN into his father#s network then pley/cast from his phone using the plex app?

Yes, a vpn should do the trick or you can vnc to a pc in that network from where you run the client itself. Even from the web player you can control it