Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Direct stream option removed

Jared575Jared575 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

My Apple TV 4th Gen plex app seems to have been updated recently and now the video streams from my server have reverted to being very choppy. This issue happened over a year ago and was resolved by turning off direct stream. once they were off the choppy video and audio popping stopped. Since the latest update there is no option for direct play or stream anymore and since there isn’t the option they are on and all my playbacks are now choppy. My server is about as powerful as it can get (intel Xeon 4 core hyperthreaded) and the files transcodes throttle easily and the load is low. Ugh! Any suggestions?

Answers

• pkonnektompkonnektom Members, Plex Pass Posts: 107 Plex Pass
    edited July 29

Yes the Plex team must fix this. Everybody got the same problem. My suggestion is that you use MrMC instead.
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/281063/the-app-mrmc-for-apple-tv-seems-to-work-flawlessly-with-plex-cloud#latest

• iFrogMediaiFrogMedia Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

@pkonnektom said:
    Yes the Plex team must fix this. Everybody got the same problem. My suggestion is that you use MrMC until it's fixed.
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/281063/the-app-mrmc-for-apple-tv-seems-to-work-flawlessly-with-plex-cloud#latest

I just purchased MrMC for my Apple TV 4 today after seeing a few updates about it on this thread. I haven't had a tone of issues with Plex on Apple TV but this looks like a nice app. Since it seems to be a KODI / XBMC clone isn't there just a version of KODI for the Apple TV? Anyway , since MrMC doesn't support Plex Stacking of multiple part movies I added Serviio as a UPNP device and it seems to work nicely. Since I don't currently use Plex Cloud does it matter if I use UPNP, or should I set up the media drive as a SMB share? Since both Serviio and Plex run on the same computer and share the same Library, and since they show up as UPNP devices, and it's over a local network. It just seemed easier, and my media is already organized by the server. I also have VLC for appleTV , but when I tried it, while playback was fine, it only gave me stereo, even for multi channel audio. At least with MrMC after setting the output for 5.1 I get dolby digital output. While my sound bar can process 5.1 PCM, it only works with a direct HDMI connection. Since I have reserved the HDMI port on the sound bar for my disc player for highest quality audio the Apple TV is forced to dolby digital for surround format which seems to work just fine being passed out the TV's optical.

I do wish Apple gave a few more audio options say for passing DTS as well as dolby, or the best available didn't always force PCM, but could auto detect, but at the end of the day it works, and it works well for what it's designed for.

edited July 29

@MacinMan said:

@pkonnektom said:
    Yes the Plex team must fix this. Everybody got the same problem. My suggestion is that you use MrMC until it's fixed.

I just purchased MrMC for my Apple TV 4 today after seeing a few updates about it on this thread. I haven't had a tone of issues with Plex on Apple TV but this looks like a nice app. Since it seems to be a KODI / XBMC clone isn't there just a version of KODI for the Apple TV? Anyway , since MrMC doesn't support Plex Stacking of multiple part movies I added Serviio as a UPNP device and it seems to work nicely. Since I don't currently use Plex Cloud does it matter if I use UPNP, or should I set up the media drive as a SMB share? Since both Serviio and Plex run on the same computer and share the same Library, and since they show up as UPNP devices, and it's over a local network. It just seemed easier, and my media is already organized by the server. I also have VLC for appleTV , but when I tried it, while playback was fine, it only gave me stereo, even for multi channel audio. At least with MrMC after setting the output for 5.1 I get dolby digital output. While my sound bar can process 5.1 PCM, it only works with a direct HDMI connection. Since I have reserved the HDMI port on the sound bar for my disc player for highest quality audio the Apple TV is forced to dolby digital for surround format which seems to work just fine being passed out the TV's optical.

I do wish Apple gave a few more audio options say for passing DTS as well as dolby, or the best available didn't always force PCM, but could auto detect, but at the end of the day it works, and it works well for what it's designed for.

No there's no version for Kodi on Apple TV. If you got an Apple Developer account  (cost 99$/y) you can install it on your Apple TV though (search youtube for that). I suggest you ask this questions regarding MrMC in their forum: https://forum.mrmc.tv/index.php

And yes, MrMC is really a nice app indeed. I some ways it's actually better than Plex I think, not at least when their 3.1.0 update shows up in the future. Could be a really good competition between MrMC and Plex ahead I believe. For now MrMC is the only thing that actually works well for Apple TV-users who wants direct play with Plex Cloud. Would also be very nice to see Infuse in this game in the future regarding Plex Cloud support. For now I looking forward for the new MrMC skin.

• jayz78jayz78 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 159 Plex Pass

Agreed, MrMC and it's playback capabilities is what the Plex client should be. That thing is bulletproof and plays anything you throw at it and plays it exceptionally.

I'm not a fan of the Kodi user interface though so I'm hoping when they release their skin in V3.1 that it'll be something nicer.

As for the Plex Apple TV client, its playback is a mess and the developers MUST fix it or the app is just not useable.

• GrobinsonGrobinson Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

Interesting thread. I hadn't had a problem playing a file in ages until this week.

I downloaded MrMc and it played the file without issue.

edited August 4

@jayz78 said:
    Agreed, MrMC and it's playback capabilities is what the Plex client should be. That thing is bulletproof and plays anything you throw at it and plays it exceptionally.

I'm not a fan of the Kodi user interface though so I'm hoping when they release their skin in V3.1 that it'll be something nicer.

As for the Plex Apple TV client, its playback is a mess and the developers MUST fix it or the app is just not useable.

Do you think they will do that? (or must they rewrite the core for that maybe - and they are not gonna do that I suppose, but who knows..). I'm very close buying a Nvidia Shield right now, tired of allt this problems with the the Plex client for ATV.

@pkonnektom said:

@jayz78 said:

Do do think they will do that? (or must they rewrite the core for that maybe - and not they are not gonna do that - who knows..). I'm very close buying a Nvidia Shield right now, tired of allt this problems with the the Plex client for ATV.

I've considered a Shield TV, but more of a replacement for ROKU with all their bugs lately. I love Apple products, I have a 5k iMac, and a few iOS devices, a MBP that has aged badly, and the Apple TV 4. For me, Plex on the Apple TV hasn't given me many issues as a whole, but what Ive found is Apple just hasn't designed their product with the support I would prefer..

With all of this said though, because a majority of what I stream is direct rips to MKV of my blu-rays, and DVDs, I have decided to use Plex's DLNA server as I can stream all those formats directly to my Sony UBD-X800 with the exception of Dolby TRUEHD, that will not stream, but standard Dolby does, DTS, and DTS HD MA, also stream.

I've considered going back to physical media strictly for movies and TV for the following reasons:
    Best quality possible for Audio / Video
    Guaranteed codec support. While my 5.1 sound bar doesn't have HD codec support from DD, or DTS, it does support the standard Dolby and DTS 5.1 formats, and when connected via HDMI can receive and process multi channel LPCM.. This means I can still hear uncompressed lossless audio by having the player decode, and send out as PCM.

With all of this said, I like the Plex client, and what it offers, and why I got a lifetime pass. However, the more I use it with multi channel audio, vs stereo, I find DLNA is a more reliable way to stream (especially for blu-ray rips), standard DVD rips seem to work much better in the Plex client.

edited August 5

@MacinMan said:

@pkonnektom said:

@jayz78 said:

Do do think they will do that? (or must they rewrite the core for that maybe - and not they are not gonna do that - who knows..). I'm very close buying a Nvidia Shield right now, tired of allt this problems with the the Plex client for ATV.

I've considered a Shield TV, but more of a replacement for ROKU with all their bugs lately. I love Apple products, I have a 5k iMac, and a few iOS devices, a MBP that has aged badly, and the Apple TV 4. For me, Plex on the Apple TV hasn't given me many issues as a whole, but what Ive found is Apple just hasn't designed their product with the support I would prefer..

With all of this said though, because a majority of what I stream is direct rips to MKV of my blu-rays, and DVDs, I have decided to use Plex's DLNA server as I can stream all those formats directly to my Sony UBD-X800 with the exception of Dolby TRUEHD, that will not stream, but standard Dolby does, DTS, and DTS HD MA, also stream.

I've considered going back to physical media strictly for movies and TV for the following reasons:
    Best quality possible for Audio / Video
    Guaranteed codec support. While my 5.1 sound bar doesn't have HD codec support from DD, or DTS, it does support the standard Dolby and DTS 5.1 formats, and when connected via HDMI can receive and process multi channel LPCM.. This means I can still hear uncompressed lossless audio by having the player decode, and send out as PCM.

With all of this said, I like the Plex client, and what it offers, and why I got a lifetime pass. However, the more I use it with multi channel audio, vs stereo, I find DLNA is a more reliable way to stream (especially for blu-ray rips), standard DVD rips seem to work much better in the Plex client.

I understand and I also love Apple products. It's mostly huge problems with ATV and Plex Cloud due to some issues, PMS worked better for me.

I just bought an Nvidia Shield for testing, but I don't think it's a very affordable device and I'm already missing my ATV a little. I will try the Nvidia Shield for a couple of days and then decide what to do.

• jayz78jayz78 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 159 Plex Pass

@pkonnektom please let me know how you find the Nvidia Shield after a few days. I now have a xiaomi Mi box Android TV along with my Apple TV 4 but everyone keeps praising the Shield as being good with Plex and Live TV so I'm willing to consider it. At the moment Plex Live TV doesn't work anymore on my Mi Box since the last app update.

I don't play games so the Shield would be purely for Plex/DVR stuff. However if it doesn't work very well then I may be better off just spending a bit less and buying a dedicated PVR/DVR set top box.

edited August 5

@jayz78 said:
    @pkonnektom please let me know how you find the Nvidia Shield after a few days. I now have a xiaomi Mi box Android TV along with my Apple TV 4 but everyone keeps praising the Shield as being good with Plex and Live TV so I'm willing to consider it. At the moment Plex Live TV doesn't work anymore on my Mi Box since the last app update.

I don't play games so the Shield would be purely for Plex/DVR stuff. However if it doesn't work very well then I may be better off just spending a bit less and buying a dedicated PVR/DVR set top box.

Yes I will but I only use Kodi with the Plex add on sorry. I don't use PMP at all cause no direct play (and then with Plex cloud it becomes a real nightmare). Maybe Plex Live works on this thing, dunno. But it's a way to pricy for such an Android-device.

Myself I thinking about either going for some Libra elec solution (or something similar) or just use Infuse for my Apple TV4.

• sogalitnosogalitno Members, Plex Pass Posts: 88 Plex Pass

@pkonnektom said:

@jayz78 said:

I hate that I have to do this... seek out other programs instead of PLEX... but this issue with the direct stream and also ALL My videos that are NOT WORKING ANYMORE after the latest upgrade (and this happens several times a year) and WERE working FINE just before the upgrade (and i have direct network connection to my ATV4 box and the same network as the computer with PMS and files ).

I did install MRMC last night but Man that interfaces kinda sucks... a list of all my tv shows... and a very rudimentary search function... ugh. but at least the files played...so its the Plex app.

I did try on the Roku i have and same issues with Plex on that box (which is also directly wired to the network)

I may try Infuse tonight. I hate that I am having to do this but I want to see my shows... and this last upgrade by Plex is not working for me.

edited August 7

What are the file types that are usually giving the most problem here? As I've stated in prior posts, most of my files are DVD, or blu-ray rips with the original structure from the VOB, or m2ts files from disc. With the Apple TV selecting convert automatically in the Plex quality settings usually fixes any stutter for me, and my other video files are usually mp4 with stereo AAC, such as the Security now Podcast from Twit, which plays directly. Typically, if I want the best audio quality, I don't use the Apple TV, or ROKU when it comes to multi channel audio. The Only device I have that will internally decode DTS Master, from disc, or stream, and Dolby TRUE HD, from disc, and standard DD, or DD+ via stream is my Sony UHD blu-ray player.

The other thing is, even if you have a direct connection between the AppleTV, and an AVR / sound bar that has HDMI, and can process multi channel audio, I don't think the ATV will even process the HD codecs, it will send multi channel PCM though if it's connected to a supported receiver.

The only way I've found to get lossless. audio, is for the Sony to decode from disc, or supported streamed codecs, and pass them to the sound bar as 5.1 PCM. Oh, and I didn't want to forget to mention that DLNA seems to be much more reliable source of direct streaming then the Plex Client. The person who is considering trying inFuse, if you have any DTS tracks, let me know if you get passthrough to a supported receiver. It's supposed to play DTS audio, but I didn't want to pay for it just yet, since I have other solutions.

• sogalitnosogalitno Members, Plex Pass Posts: 88 Plex Pass

Plex settings do not stick in ATV... i have to go in EVERY TIME i use plex and change the general settings to change the conversion options.

this is a HUGE bug.. and also for the individual item .. either an episode or a season or a movie - the setting is NOT sticky... each time i start up ATV and open Plex i have to go to the episode and then click on settings for that episode and then select convert auto

whats the point of having that as an option in the General settings of Plex .... when it is not remembered in EITHER place

i am really frustrated by this ... either its broken and they didnt test it or check it before releasing this option or they dont care to fix it... sloppy programming and annoying as h###

edited August 7

@jayz78 said:

I returned the Nvidia Shield today. I don't think to many people who usually prefer Apple can stand that device. Sorry I could not answer your other questions but I hope somebody can.

@pkonnektom said:

@jayz78 said:

I returned the Nvidia Shield today. I don't think to many people who usually prefer Apple can stand that device. Sorry I could not answer your other questions but I hope somebody can.

What's wrong with the Shield? just curious. I don't own one, but my 4k Sony TV runs android TV, and while I would prefer a dumb display and smart functionality only on external devices, I don't hate Android TV, in fact I find it a nice alternative for certain things.

edited August 8

@MacinMan said:

@pkonnektom said:

@jayz78 said:

What's wrong with the Shield? just curious. I don't own one, but my 4k Sony TV runs android TV, and while I would prefer a dumb display and smart functionality only on external devices, I don't hate Android TV, in fact I find it a nice alternative for certain things.

Maybe it's a nice alternative in some ways for others. The speech recognition were really good which where kind of cool I guess. It's a matter of taste and feeling of course. For example Kodi froze a couple of times for me. A couple of times in four days or something.. It was not my kind of device in any way. Android just feels unpleasant for me. The pleasant feeling due to the bulletproof stability, sleek design and logically built, that's my experience with Apple-products, to compare.

• ateluzateluz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 35 Plex Pass

Try Infuse Pro...