Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Open source & Version control

Hi,

This question is more for the developers of the plex app for Samsung smart TVs.
I've been using the app for a couple years now and I want to thank you for all the work and effort you've put into this.

That being said, I have a few remarks on the development process for this particular app.
The way I understand it, you work on a new version then push it to samsung smarthub and after it goes through validation, it becomes available on our TVs. The problem with this is that when there is a bug with a version, it takes a while before we can get a fix.

I personally own a H (2014) series samsung TV. The recent 2.008 update to the plex app broke some things as you can see in these threads: downgrade-to-2-007 or any-workaround-for-direct-play-from-remote-server-until-2-009-comes-out. For me it's even worse because my internet router doesn't really allow for loopback traffic, therefore accessing resources inside my LAN going through the internet from within my LAN doesn't work, so I've been living without plex on my TV since I upgraded to 2.008.

Because my TV is a 2014 model, I can load apps on a USB drive and use them on the TV as described here. This is very practical if, for instance, there is a bug on the latest version and I want to load an older version on my TV. Probelm is, you haven't been disclosing the sources for the app since version 1.020.

It would be great if the source code for the app was available on Github or Gitlab or any other online version control system for that matter. This would enable users to always have access to the latest features without having to wait for validation by samsung smarthub and you would also potentially get more people contributing to the app and getting features rolled out faster. It would also save you the trouble of having to host the resources (code, manual...) on Dropbox as they would all be available from the same place and hosted for free.

What are your thoughts on this?

Idalvar