If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Conversion Failed. The transcoder crashed or failed to start up" after upgrade

sd_iconoclastsd_iconoclast Posts: 19Members ✭✭

A couple weeks ago I upgraded my Plex Media Server to version 1.7.5.4035. Afterwards, When I tried to play some files, I would get the error "Conversion failed. The transcoder crashed or failed to start up."
I am running Centos Linux version 6.9 (x86-64).
I cannot provide a log file because I solved the problem and now I cannot reproduce the error. Here is what I found:

My server contains three, two terabyte drives and my media files are distributed between them. Lets call them Drives A through C.
When I first started my upgraded Plex Media Server (PMS), I played a movie from drive C and it worked fine. Over the next few days, I noticed that many other files would not play and gave the error message listed above. I then noticed that all of the files that would not play were on drives A and B. After reading forum posts, I tried to find differences in how the drives were configured, but I could find none. In particular, I spent a lot of time investigating the whole "noexec" issue reported in other places. No luck.

In an attempt to produce a log file, I rebooted my sever and tried to play a movie on drive B that had not worked before. It worked!
Furthermore, all files on Drive B now worked, along with those on drive C. Files on Drive A still did not work.

So I rebooted again, but this time I played a file from Drive A that had not worked before. Now it worked, along with all files on drive A.

It appears that the first file you play after rebooting PMS "unlocks" that drive for all media located on that drive. In order to "unlock" all drives, you just have to play a file each drive first after rebooting.
After the fact, I noticed that files would show as "unavailable" in the intro screen if they would produce the error.

I don't know why this happens. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,839Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

There is no 'unlock'. Linux does not behave that way at all.

It sounds like you're having basic Linux permission problems. Drive letters internally are named sda, sdb, sdc, etc.
    If your media is eternal (USB) or not formally defined in /etc/fstab, you are at the mercy of the graphical file manager to mount wherever it wants and issue whatever permission it wants. Default Linux rules are to give your username full control and to deny access to every other username on the system (of which plex:plex is one).

I suggest you look through the Linux Tips at the top of this forum regarding this.

Next, when the drives are properly mounted at boot time you will no longer have media accessibility issues.
    Also, I suggest you check the location of the Transcoder temporary directory. If this is placed in a location where user plex cannot read & write, you will get the errors you describe in your OP.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• sd_iconoclastsd_iconoclast Posts: 19Members ✭✭

Thanks for the reply ChuckPA,
    But I think you have missed the point entirely.
    I understand that Linux does not have an "unlock" feature. I merely used the term to help describe what seems to happen with Plex.
    This is clearly not a Linux related issue. My previous version of Plex worked fine for years with this configuration.
    The change that produced the problem was my upgrade of Plex.
    All my drives are internal and are formally defined in fstab.
    I have seen many others post this same issue where the above error message appears after upgrading Plex. I was merely trying to provide my insight to the community to help them solve it as I did.
    I was also hoping that it might give your developers some insight into the problem should they choose to fix it.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,839Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Given you stated you cannot provide any logs and were After the fact, I noticed that files would show as "unavailable" in the intro screen if they would produce the error. the most common error associated with this are Linux mount and permission errors.

This isn't an error for the developers. It's a local configuration issue.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

• the_shoethe_shoe Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

this happens to me with latest upgrae on ununtu. sucks. never happened before and every movie played back consistently crashes after maybe 40 mins of playback

reboots and all the above make no sense. if playback works and then crashes mid way its because this version of PMS has a defect

when all else stays the same but PMS changes then PMS is the culprit

hope it is fixed soon. i will enable logging to hopefully capture something useful as this consistently crashes on me

@the_shoe said:
    this happens to me with latest upgrae on ununtu. sucks. never happened before and every movie played back consistently crashes after maybe 40 mins of playback

reboots and all the above make no sense. if playback works and then crashes mid way its because this version of PMS has a defect

when all else stays the same but PMS changes then PMS is the culprit

hope it is fixed soon. i will enable logging to hopefully capture something useful as this consistently crashes on me

Please recreate and grab the log files for me (Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs) immediately thereafter. Attach that ZIP file here. Without them there's no way I can help resolve whatever is happening.

Useful links

• wyattgormanwyattgorman Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Hi ChuckPA, I've seen you helped with this situation previously and I'm hoping you can help with mine. I'm getting an error around the transcoding temp files folder, it appears to be permissions related but I can't find the issue. I cleared the Cache and Plug-in Support/Caches folders, optimized and analyzed the library, and tried changing the location of the folder somewhere where I set the permissions to 777 to be sure, but I saw the same issue. Let me know what I should focus on. This happens with every file that requires transcoding.

@wyattgorman

May I see the XML for the movie?
    Also, where is transcoder temp directory?

Useful links

edited August 2

Hi ChuckPA, I don't have any XML file for the movie I'm currently looking at as an example, or any others for that matter. The movie I was previously using as my known-bad movie is actually working now after I removed the subtitles in the movie folder (didn't believe I had any). However, that doesn't appear to be the case with this movie (no subtitles).

I don't have the transcoder temp directory set manually. From the logs it looks like "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sessions/plex-transcode-XXX-YYY-ZZZ". I saw in a previous thread you mentioned that the Transcoding temp files shouldn't be in the Cache folder, but that's what seems to be default. I believe that running the optimize database & analyze library helped with many movies, but hasn't resolved the issue completely. I've attached a new log bundle and recreated the issue with several movies before collecting. Is there something I can look for about these files that might cause this issue? Thanks.

Where PMS puts it by default is ok. Some folks have been putting it in the other Cache directories (which do get purged). Also, when downloading other things (like metadata), things get erased before PMS can completely import the information .

The obvious first thing to do is check the ownership of everything in /var/lib/plexmediaserver. The absolute quickest way is to let Linux slam through it (sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver &) because it's faster to set than read, test, then set.

As an experiment, if you wish,

sudo mkdir -p /home/plexdir/transcoder
    chown plex:plex /home/plexdir

Point the transcoder temp there /home/plexdir/transcoderand repeat. See what happens.

I should also ask if any part of /var/lib/plexmediaserver is out on a network share (e.g. nfs mount to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/......) ?

Useful links

edited August 3

Thanks ChuckPA, I chown'ed the /var/lib/plexmediaserver dir. Tested the movies I know are bad immediately after as well as after restarting PMS just in case. No dice. I then created a directory, chown'ed it, and pointed PMS transcoder to it, as I've done before, and tested it before and after restarting PMS. Again, I still see the crash. I've attached the latest logs just after recreating the issue. If this is an issue with the formatting of the video then there are an awful lot of them. The PMS folder in var is on the local boot disk, though it's running in a KVM instance. The media is on a smb mount.

I'm confused. I see the transcoder running correctly for some items. I see it failing for another.

It looks like Secret Garden is failing. Can you confirm?

Whatever is failing, would you please go to Get Info -> View XML and past that here (use 'Code' paragraph formating ^^) so the forum does not obscure it?

Useful links

• Mikeee404Mikeee404 Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been having the same issues, it has nothing to do with permissions. I noticed this was happening with all movies in "SD" format. All 720P and 1080P movies work fine. Originally resync of the metadata would fix the issue, but that no longer works. I have since replaced all SD format movies with HD equivalent and the issue has gone away.

@Mikeee404 said:
    I have been having the same issues, it has nothing to do with permissions. I noticed this was happening with all movies in "SD" format. All 720P and 1080P movies work fine. Originally resync of the metadata would fix the issue, but that no longer works. I have since replaced all SD format movies with HD equivalent and the issue has gone away.

Resync or Reanalyze? Analyzing the media again, after the 576p vs SD discussions was formalized in PMS, should have resolved it for everyone. The primary issue there was 'What consititues "SD" vs "HD" ?'

Useful links

edited August 7

Thanks ChuckPA, That's right, the transcoder appears to work for some and not for others. Secret Garden is one example of a failure. I've analyzed the file without any change. Here's the XML:

<MediaContainer size="1" allowSync="1" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library" librarySectionID="1" librarySectionTitle="Movies" librarySectionUUID="79c9b5e5-00a8-4468-b930-05030d61452e" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1498655992"><Video ratingKey="123081" key="/library/metadata/123081" guid="com.plexapp.agents.imdb://tt0108071?lang=en" librarySectionID="1" librarySectionKey="/library/sections/1" studio="American Zoetrope" type="movie" title="The Secret Garden" titleSort="Secret Garden" contentRating="G" summary="A young British girl born and reared in India loses her neglectful parents in an earthquake. She is returned to England to live at her uncle's castle. Her uncle is very distant due to the loss of his wife ten years before. Neglected once again, she begins exploring the estate and discovers a garden that has been locked and neglected. Aided by one of the servants' boys, she begins restoring the garden, and eventually discovers some other secrets of the manor." rating="8.5" audienceRating="8.0" year="1993" tagline="The timeless tale of a special place where magic, hope and love grow." thumb="/library/metadata/123081/thumb/1501711403" art="/library/metadata/123081/art/1501711403" duration="5843000" originallyAvailableAt="1993-08-13" addedAt="1501635205" updatedAt="1501711403" audienceRatingImage="rottentomatoes://image.rating.upright" chapterSource="agent" ratingImage="rottentomatoes://image.rating.certified"><Media videoResolution="576" id="142578" duration="5843000" bitrate="2800" width="720" height="576" aspectRatio="1.78" audioChannels="2" audioCodec="ac3" videoCodec="mpeg4" container="avi" videoFrameRate="PAL" videoProfile="advanced simple"><Part accessible="1" exists="1" id="142663" key="/library/parts/142663/1501627450/file.avi" duration="5843000" file="/mnt/borgcollective/movies/Secret Garden, The (1993)/The Secret Garden.avi" size="2044919996" container="avi" videoProfile="advanced simple"><Stream id="138119" streamType="1" codec="mpeg4" index="0" bitrate="2602" bitDepth="8" chromaSubsampling="4:2:0" frameRate="25.000" height="576" level="5" profile="advanced simple" refFrames="1" width="720"/><Stream id="138120" streamType="2" selected="1" codec="ac3" index="1" channels="2" bitrate="192" audioChannelLayout="stereo" samplingRate="48000" streamIdentifier="1" title="aptemp_audio"/></Part></Media><Genre id="25" filter="genre=25" tag="Family"/><Genre id="127" filter="genre=127" tag="Drama"/><Genre id="134" filter="genre=134" tag="Fantasy"/><Director id="23490" filter="director=23490" tag="Agnieszka Holland"/><Writer id="13152" filter="writer=13152" tag="Caroline Thompson"/><Producer id="7015" filter="producer=7015" tag="Fred Fuchs"/><Producer id="150705" filter="producer=150705" tag="Tom Luddy"/><Producer id="17238" filter="producer=17238" tag="Fred Roos"/><Country id="136669" filter="country=136669" tag="US"/><Role id="150691" filter="actor=150691" tag="Kate Maberly" role="Mary Lennox" thumb="http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/q2oMXChB6jfIKAEBWcoHptdH7ud.jpg"/><Role id="150692" filter="actor=150692" tag="Heydon Prowse" role="Colin Craven"/><Role id="150693" filter="actor=150693" tag="Andrew Knott" role="Dickon" thumb="http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/nmTFWkyOUNs7z9JvXuPO4libXlS.jpg"/><Role id="19897" filter="actor=19897" tag="Maggie Smith" role="Mrs. Medlock" thumb="http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/8OtS7JhL12Qa8QzSuZZAzNRbFnu.jpg"/><Role id="40587" filter="actor=40587" tag="Irène Jacob" role="Mary's Mother / Lilias Craven" thumb="http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/vjlwVgbpb22S4rriqkfOd9H4kmU.jpg"/><Role id="150694" filter="actor=150694" tag="Laura Crossley" role="Martha"/><Role id="14964" filter="actor=14964" tag="John Lynch" role="Lord Archibald Craven" thumb="http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/2OHQ4Hck4QlCqDjQ4mK6OMW65n3.jpg"/><Role id="150695" filter="actor=150695" tag="Walter Sparrow" role="Ben Weatherstaff"/><Role id="59944" filter="actor=59944" tag="Frank Baker" role="Government Official" thumb="http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/fSYn9ESiVpuJtEuS67ttAGceEQW.jpg"/><Role id="150696" filter="actor=150696" tag="Valerie Hill" role="Cook"/><Role id="150697" filter="actor=150697" tag="Andrea Pickering" role="Betty Butterworth"/><Role id="150698" filter="actor=150698" tag="Peter Moreton" role="Will"/><Role id="150699" filter="actor=150699" tag="Arthur Spreckley" role="John"/><Role id="150700" filter="actor=150700" tag="Colin Bruce" role="Major Lennox"/><Role id="150701" filter="actor=150701" tag="Parsan Singh" role="Ayah"/><Role id="150702" filter="actor=150702" tag="Eileen Page" role="Grandmother at Dock"/><Role id="150703" filter="actor=150703" tag="David Stoll" role="Grandfather at Dock"/><Role id="150704" filter="actor=150704" tag="Tabatha Allen" role="Girl at Dock"/><Similar id="150736" filter="similar=150736" tag="A Little Princess"/><Similar id="150737" filter="similar=150737" tag="Little Women"/><Similar id="150738" filter="similar=150738" tag="Cannery Row"/><Similar id="150739" filter="similar=150739" tag="The Blue Lagoon"/><Similar id="150740" filter="similar=150740" tag="Ever After: A Cinderella Story"/><Similar id="150741" filter="similar=150741" tag="A Family Thing"/><Similar id="150742" filter="similar=150742" tag="Jimmy Hollywood"/><Similar id="150743" filter="similar=150743" tag="Freaky Friday"/><Similar id="150744" filter="similar=150744" tag="Triumph of the Spirit"/><Similar id="150745" filter="similar=150745" tag="The Girl Most Likely to..."/><Similar id="150746" filter="similar=150746" tag="Don Juan DeMarco"/><Similar id="150747" filter="similar=150747" tag="Blue Ridge"/><Similar id="150748" filter="similar=150748" tag="Satan"/><Similar id="150749" filter="similar=150749" tag="A Triumph of the Heart: The Ricky Bell Story"/><Similar id="150750" filter="similar=150750" tag="O"/><Similar id="150751" filter="similar=150751" tag="My Girl 2"/><Similar id="150752" filter="similar=150752" tag="The Man from Snowy River"/><Similar id="150753" filter="similar=150753" tag="Remote"/><Similar id="150754" filter="similar=150754" tag="The Black Castle"/><Similar id="150755" filter="similar=150755" tag="Sense and Sensibility"/><Extras size="0">
    </Extras></Video></MediaContainer>

moderator edit: added triple-grave set for readability

I agree with you this should work without issue based on XML.

AVI files are fragile and cause problems but that can be addressed later.

Would you please create a sample for me? approx 20 MB would be enough for me to test with.

You can upload the file here in a ZIP (easiest) or some attach direct .

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201035968-Generating-Sample-Files-from-Media

Useful links

edited August 8

Thanks, ChuckPA. I've attached the 20MB sample I made. Let me know what is being looked for and hopefully I can script a check/correct loop.

Here's how I see the file:

[avi @ 0x6cd525dc00] non-interleaved AVI
    Input #0, avi, from 'sample.avi':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : #1 DVD Ripper  6.0, Jan 15 2008  13:26:23
        JUNK            : 
      Duration: 01:37:23.00, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 28 kb/s
        Stream #0:0: Video: mpeg4 (Advanced Simple Profile) (XVID / 0x44495658), yuv420p, 720x576 [SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
        Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 ([0] [0][0] / 0x2000), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
        Metadata:
          title           : aptemp_audio
    At least one output file must be specified
    [chuck@lizum wyatt.104]

Here's a problem: bitrate: 28 kb/s a video file shouldn't have a bit rate of 28 Kbps. The audio is 192 Kbps.

Conduct this test please.

Run the file through HandBrake. Of specific interest here is to preserve any sense of quality and figure out if only the header is damaged.

For the encode, Video tab, Manually specify the bit rate. Start at 3000 Kbps, two-pass encoding.
    Verify the audio is selected in the Audio tab.
    Process that . (shouldn't take long at all)

Save the original file and put the processed one in its place.
    Have PMS 'Analyze' the file again to detect the new file parameters.

Now try to play it

If it plays, the file indeed is damaged. You can process the original input again if the initial '3000' value was too low

Useful links

@sd_iconoclast said:
    A couple weeks ago I upgraded my Plex Media Server to version 1.7.5.4035. Afterwards, When I tried to play some files, I would get the error "Conversion failed. The transcoder crashed or failed to start up."
    I am running Centos Linux version 6.9 (x86-64).
    I cannot provide a log file because I solved the problem and now I cannot reproduce the error. Here is what I found:

My server contains three, two terabyte drives and my media files are distributed between them. Lets call them Drives A through C.
    When I first started my upgraded Plex Media Server (PMS), I played a movie from drive C and it worked fine. Over the next few days, I noticed that many other files would not play and gave the error message listed above. I then noticed that all of the files that would not play were on drives A and B. After reading forum posts, I tried to find differences in how the drives were configured, but I could find none. In particular, I spent a lot of time investigating the whole "noexec" issue reported in other places. No luck.

In an attempt to produce a log file, I rebooted my sever and tried to play a movie on drive B that had not worked before. It worked!
    Furthermore, all files on Drive B now worked, along with those on drive C. Files on Drive A still did not work.

So I rebooted again, but this time I played a file from Drive A that had not worked before. Now it worked, along with all files on drive A.

It appears that the first file you play after rebooting PMS "unlocks" that drive for all media located on that drive. In order to "unlock" all drives, you just have to play a file each drive first after rebooting.
    After the fact, I noticed that files would show as "unavailable" in the intro screen if they would produce the error.

I don't know why this happens. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I started this thread with the above report of how I solved this problem. It turns out that I was too optimistic.
    After a couple days, all files on drives A and B became "unavailable". I have tried rebooting PMS several times and found:
    1. Files on drive C never have a problem
    2. All files on drives B and/or C will become "available" after the reboot but will become "unavailable" sometime over the couple days.
    3. Files become "available" or "unavailable" on a per drive basis. Once a file Drive X becomes "unavailable", all files on that drive become available.

So this time I attached my log file. I would appreciate your insight.

Having more log file information would be better (Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs) but, given what you supplied,

The server mount is dropping out from under PMS.

Aug 09, 2017 02:08:16.810 [0x7f464d3ff700] DEBUG - Auth: Came in with a super-token, authorization succeeded.
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:16.811 [0x7f4641f2a700] DEBUG - Request: [192.168.1.121:35141 (Subnet)] GET /library/metadata/1168?checkFiles=1&includeExtras=1&includeRelated=1&includeRelatedCount=1 (11 live) TLS GZIP Signed-in Token (sd_iconoclast)
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:16.823 [0x7f4641f2a700] ERROR - Error opening file '/SERVER/DRIVE_A/ANIMATION/TV Shows/Futurama/Season 07/Futurama - s07e19 - Saturday Morning Fun Pit.mpg' - No such file or directory (2)
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:16.858 [0x7f4641f2a700] DEBUG - We're going to try to auto-select an audio stream for account 1.
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.902 [0x7f4641f2a700] DEBUG - Request: [192.168.1.121:35156 (Subnet)] GET /library/metadata/1169?checkFiles=1&includeExtras=1&includeRelated=1&includeRelatedCount=1 (4 live) TLS GZIP Signed-in Token (sd_iconoclast)
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.911 [0x7f4641f2a700] ERROR - Error opening file '/SERVER/DRIVE_A/ANIMATION/TV Shows/Futurama/Season 07/Futurama - s07e20 - Calculon 2.0.mpg' - No such file or directory (2)
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.927 [0x7f464d3ff700] DEBUG - Auth: We found auth token (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), enabling token-based authentication.
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.927 [0x7f464d3ff700] DEBUG - Auth: authenticated user 1 as sd_iconoclast
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.990 [0x7f463c2b3700] ERROR - Couldn't find the file to stream: /SERVER/DRIVE_A/ANIMATION/TV Shows/Futurama/Season 07/Futurama - s07e19 - Saturday Morning Fun Pit.mpg
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.990 [0x7f464d3ff700] DEBUG - Completed: [127.0.0.1:48406] 404 GET /library/parts/2098/1450759986/file.mpg (5 live) 63ms 240 bytes
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.991 [0x7f464c077700] ERROR - [Transcoder] http://127.0.0.1:32400/library/parts/2098/1450759986/file.mpg?X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Server returned 404 Not Found
    Aug 09, 2017 02:08:38.992 [0x7f464a63b700] ERROR - JobManager: child process returned: 1 (Operation not permitted)

Verify your network connection and then Scan your Library Files again to update PMS. At present, it doesn't know whether the files are present or not. It thinks they are but fails when attempting to play.

Useful links

Are you asking for more log files? If so, which ones? Or are you asking for verbose logging?
    From the file browser in Linux, I can access all the files that show up as unavailable. In other words, I can copy, rename etc. Is there some other test that I should perform to prove I can "access" them? I believe I have already "rescanned" the libraries as I just had to recreate all libraries after upgrading. Also, remember that the files (most of the time) start off available and then they become unavailable over time.
    So I guess the question is "why didn't this happen with my previous version of plex?"