"Conversion Failed. The transcoder crashed or failed to start up" after upgrade
A couple weeks ago I upgraded my Plex Media Server to version 184.108.40.20635. Afterwards, When I tried to play some files, I would get the error "Conversion failed. The transcoder crashed or failed to start up."
I am running Centos Linux version 6.9 (x86-64).
I cannot provide a log file because I solved the problem and now I cannot reproduce the error. Here is what I found:
My server contains three, two terabyte drives and my media files are distributed between them. Lets call them Drives A through C.
When I first started my upgraded Plex Media Server (PMS), I played a movie from drive C and it worked fine. Over the next few days, I noticed that many other files would not play and gave the error message listed above. I then noticed that all of the files that would not play were on drives A and B. After reading forum posts, I tried to find differences in how the drives were configured, but I could find none. In particular, I spent a lot of time investigating the whole "noexec" issue reported in other places. No luck.
In an attempt to produce a log file, I rebooted my sever and tried to play a movie on drive B that had not worked before. It worked!
Furthermore, all files on Drive B now worked, along with those on drive C. Files on Drive A still did not work.
So I rebooted again, but this time I played a file from Drive A that had not worked before. Now it worked, along with all files on drive A.
It appears that the first file you play after rebooting PMS "unlocks" that drive for all media located on that drive. In order to "unlock" all drives, you just have to play a file each drive first after rebooting.
After the fact, I noticed that files would show as "unavailable" in the intro screen if they would produce the error.
I don't know why this happens. Maybe someone can explain it to me.