If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Anyone here using Plex Cloud with your device?

pkonnektompkonnektom Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  1. Which device?
  2. Does it work without buffering issues?
  3. Does it work without any issues at all?

Really appreciate your answers.

Best Answers

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 403Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 30 Accepted Answer

@pkonnektom
    Was at work when I typed earlier. Home now.
    So a couple more points. I am talking about the Amazon TV box and not the stick.
    The stick may work but I NEVER do wireless streaming on principal.

There are cheaper options too.
    I had three separate Android TV boxes recommended to me on these forums and Reddit.
    Some people swear by them. Personally the first one I ordered was garbage and the other two were much worse. The point being.... never take one persons recommendation as fact!!.
    That said I generally don't do these type of appliances... Roku, Android TV, AFTV etc...
    But for me the AFTV box is a sweet spot without going overboard on an Nvidia Shield or an NUC.
    Personally I DO go overboard with a full HTPC set top box.
    I have it so I use it. If it ever dies I will no doubt go the AFTV route.

Keep us up to date with what you decide and how it works out. :)

HitsVille

Accepted Answer

@pkonnektom said:
    The problem with AFTV for me seems to be that it doesn't support mkv as container so mkv with ac3 doesnt work with direct play. That's a problem for me who mainly uses mkv. Either kodi with AFTV I suppose or some android device would be the best thing for me. Nvidia shield seems to be a good one but to damn expensive (I don't game much and if I do I use my PS4 for that).

I wonder if Google Nexus maybe could be something.

Well I know little about the Nexus.
    However, I was startled to see that comment about the AFTV not supporting MKV files natively (and indeed just researched it to find its true)
    Now what I can add is I use the Plex for Kodi app on the AFTV (I have the 4K AFTV)
    So natively they don't play, in the Plex app from the store they play with issues according to these forums.
    But with Plex for Kodi they 100% direct play. So I guess I struck lucky because of my choice of client.

Sadly Plex for Kodi is currently only available to Plex Pass users, so definitely not a solution for you.

Ask around some more or do as I do when in doubt... I only order from Amazon because of their free and easy returns policy. That's where I ordered those Android TV boxes and swiftly returned them,

Sorry to build your hopes up and I hope you sort something out. If you have the same lax returns policy wherever you are give the Nexus a go as long as you can return it.

I'm still pretty shocked at the lack of native MKV support... Nowadays its not something I would research. MKV is just basic nowadays or so I thought. (I have a 45TB server and 99% of my videos are MKV.)

HitsVille

Answers

edited July 30 Accepted Answer

@pkonnektom
    So a couple more points. I am talking about the Amazon TV box and not the stick.

I had three separate Android TV boxes recommended to me on these forums and Reddit.
    Some people swear by them. Personally the first one I ordered was garbage and the other two were much worse. The point being.... never take one persons recommendation as fact!!.
    That said I generally don't do these type of appliances... Roku, Android TV, AFTV etc...
    But for me the AFTV box is a sweet spot without going overboard on an Nvidia Shield or an NUC.

HitsVille

• pkonnektompkonnektom Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 30

@HitsVille said:
    @pkonnektom

Thanks alot for your answer. :)

I will :)

It's this common buffering issue with Apple tv and Plex cloud that I got. Everyone with Apple tv seems to have this problems.

edited July 30

The problem with AFTV for me seems to be that it doesn't support mkv as container so mkv with ac3 doesnt work with direct play. That's a problem for me who mainly uses mkv. Either kodi with AFTV I suppose or some android device would be the best thing for me. Nvidia shield seems to be a good one but to damn expensive (I don't game much and if I do I use my PS4 for that).

Accepted Answer

@pkonnektom said:

However, I was startled to see that comment about the AFTV not supporting MKV files natively (and indeed just researched it to find its true)
    Now what I can add is I use the Plex for Kodi app on the AFTV (I have the 4K AFTV)
    So natively they don't play, in the Plex app from the store they play with issues according to these forums.
    But with Plex for Kodi they 100% direct play. So I guess I struck lucky because of my choice of client.

Sadly Plex for Kodi is currently only available to Plex Pass users, so definitely not a solution for you.

Ask around some more or do as I do when in doubt... I only order from Amazon because of their free and easy returns policy. That's where I ordered those Android TV boxes and swiftly returned them,

Sorry to build your hopes up and I hope you sort something out. If you have the same lax returns policy wherever you are give the Nexus a go as long as you can return it.

I'm still pretty shocked at the lack of native MKV support... Nowadays its not something I would research. MKV is just basic nowadays or so I thought. (I have a 45TB server and 99% of my videos are MKV.)

HitsVille

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 30

This response moved here from the other cross posted thread.

When I tested Plex Cloud it worked fine on every device I own, (Shield TV, Fire TV, Roku, Raspberry PI(running PMP) and various PCs also running PMP. It showed no buffering as long as my internet connection was good and I had no unexpected glitches to speak of.

Having said that I cannot reasonably recommend using it to most people. There are several major problems with the implementation.
    Your data must be stored without any form of encryption. While this is not a problem for those of us that own our libraries it does expose what you have to the prying eyes of whatever provider you are using and most of us that own our data have actually broken a law is the US (and possibly other countries) in that we have defeated copy protection. I believe that is a wrong law BUT it is the law and I would just as soon not make it easy for the snoops to find out.
    I REALLY do not like depending on the internet to access my library. I want to be able to watch stuff, without jumping through major hoops. even if my connection to the outside world is inoperative.
    As far as I am concerned the "cloud" is a poor place to store my library. Everything can be gone at the whim of a faceless and uncaring entity that can go away at any time. Words expressed in the ether are COMPLETELY meaningless as far as actual protection goes. So, in order to be mostly safe, I have to store my library locally anyway.
    For many people with a large library it would take more than a year to get everything uploaded when you take into account that upload speed varies and you cannot saturate your upload all the time. Plus uploading that much data can trigger unwanted notice from your ISP.
    Along with that there are a lot of other reasons to avoid dependence on the cloud.

Also I am unconvinced that with a large library you save much if anything except with one provider where you must knowingly violate their TOS so they can, at a whim, just delete everything.

I had no problem with subs but I do not use them much.

That is just my opinion and many others will disagree but it is, I believe, a valid position

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

edited July 30

@HitsVille said:

@pkonnektom said:

I will check out this more. Do you know if extended subs (srt-files) works with Kodi when streaming form Plex cloud ? Would be really cool if AFTV worked with that. I'm not an android fan to be honest.

Why did you thought I wasn't an Plex pass user btw?

Really grateful for your answers.

This is really annoying. Som problems with my iPad, I have to try use safari instead of Opera I think.

Hope it works now:

I have to answer in a couple of days. AFK a couple of days and my a few years iPad seems so give me some problems herre in the countryside, I thinks it lacks of memory and my long postanswer got deleted

This thread is in a totally mess right now. Sorry everyone.
    I hope the moderators could clean all this. Will answer in a couple of days.

I think Odroid C2 or Raspberry 3 is the right option for me. Seems stable, sleek and very affordable.

Syncovery?

@HitsVille said:

@pkonnektom said:
    I will check out this more. Do you know if extended subs (srt-files) works with Kodi when streaming form Plex cloud ? Would be really cool if AFTV worked with that. I'm not an android fan to be honest.

Why did you thought I wasn't an Plex pass user btw?

Really grateful for your answers.

Oh lol. Yeah I looked twice and still missed you were Plex Pass. In my defence its been a long day.
    I use .srt and though I can confirm I have no issues be they side loaded or embedded I do only use Plex cloud as a second server for myself.
    Those I share my Plex cloud with have never mentioned issues with subs... Though all our usage is limited as only need "foreign parts only" subs.

I don't know if you noticed @Elijah_Baley post but he is a font of knowledge in these forums so please bear in mind his thoughts.
    Personally I have no issue with Plex cloud on Google. (Well I have had a couple of 24 hour bans in the past)
    I also have a VPS pointing to the same files... So basically two Plex Clouds lol.
    BTW how are you planning on getting your media on the cloud?

I bought an Nvidia Shield a couple of days ago. I didn’t liked it and returned it today. Now back with my ATV4 again and using Infuse instead as long as it takes.