If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Make Plex accessible on LAN

brpazbrpaz Posts: 3Members

Hello.
I want to be able to access my Laptop media files on my LAN, so I have installed Plex Server for that. I dont want my Plex Server in my laptop to be accessible outside of network so I have not enabled "Remote Access".

The problem is, for example the Plex client on my Android phone, always see my laptop Plex as offline. It can only access it if I enabled remote access.
My Phone and Laptop are both connected to the same network.

I found out than I cant even reach my Plex server while accessing via web browser from my phone, and I think its because my Plex Server is only listening on localhost interface in my laptop.

Here is the result of netstat command on my Laptop:

tcp 0 0 localhost:48124 localhost:32400 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 localhost:32400 localhost:45788 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 localhost:32400 localhost:48124 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 localhost:45788 localhost:32400 ESTABLISHED

How can I make Plex listen on 0.0.0.0 instead of localhost?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• brpazbrpaz Posts: 3Members
    Accepted Answer

I found the issue. Somehow, I had iptables service active. I disable it and now it works.

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,852Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Plex Media Server does listen on 0.0.0.0

Do netstat -a -b or whatever is the equivalent on Linux

If you can get through remote access then maybe you have DNS Rebinding Protection for secure connections.
    You could try with it disabled on the server network setting and on the client apps, select allow fallback to insecure connections

if it is that, then you could look into whitelisting plex.direct if the router allows configuration of the DNS Rebinding Protection setting

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• gjaltembagjaltemba Posts: 309Members ✭✭✭

The netstat report is for established connections but it is the LISTEN report that matters.

netstat -tulnp |grep -i listen

Maybe it would help if you mention the linux distro you are running. My guess is that a firewall is block access to port 32400.

I am running Linux Mint 18.2

Plex appears in netstat report:
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32400 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1623/Plex Media Ser

I can ping my PC just fine from my phone, but if I try to access the plex interface with :32400 in the browser I get a Connection timeout.
    I think I dont have any firewall configured.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,852Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@brpaz said:
    I am running Linux Mint 18.2

Plex appears in netstat report:
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32400 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1623/Plex Media Ser

I can ping my PC just fine from my phone, but if I try to access the plex interface with :32400 in the browser I get a Connection timeout.
    I think I dont have any firewall configured.

Look into secure connections area. First see web setting in plex web app to try with allow fallback to insecure connections - bearing in mind that browser cannot have mixed mode so if one server connection is secure then all others must be as well.

Secure connections could be the issue if there is DNS Rebinding Prorection

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Accepted Answer

I found the issue. Somehow, I had iptables service active. I disable it and now it works.