If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Transcode Format Changes from Auto to HLS automatically?

mark40511mark40511 Posts: 75Members ✭✭

On my Roku TV. I fell asleep watching a show and woke up to it buffering. I went to settings and noticed the transcode format (which I had set to auto) had changed itself to HLS....I changed it back to automatic and the buffering stopped. Just wondering if this is normal behavior - I've never seen it happen before. Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• j-staj-sta Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 9

I've been having this happen frequently. Probably since July'ish.
    In the middle of streaming a movie. Suddenly starts buffering. Check and shows stream type hls.
    Fails to continue, so thinking bad file.

So... start up next movie. Soon as I start, check stream info. Shows direct play, and mkv.
    Less than 7 minutes in, movie buffers. Check stream info, now showing hls.

Might this also be what's causing PlexScriptHost processes to constantly hang on to the media files even after I've completed watching them? Both issues started around the same time.

This is on my Roku Ultra.

• jdgrensjdgrens Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Mark, check roku forums for roku firmware 7.7 issues. a lot of plex users are having similar issues since Roku FW 7.7 was forced on us. all of my movies stop multiple times then transcode one stream or the other even though they are always 100% compatible. I have been trying to get back on ver 7.6 but nobody at roku has been responding.