If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

EAE Error: Cannot Transcode TrueHD audio

anhtuan99anhtuan99 Posts: 45Members ✭✭
edited August 6 in Linux

I'm running Plex 1.8.0 and cannot get TrueHD audio transcoding to work. Had this issue on 1.7.5 as well as earlier versions. I've attached my logs. Please help diagnosis.

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,447Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

could you check that there is enough space in /tmp

Easy Audio Encoder was using this path
    /tmp/pms-3088c15b-9476-480a-b295-5c4c4e6ba9fc/EasyAudioEncoder

where is the error text displayed?

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• anhtuan99anhtuan99 Posts: 45Members ✭✭
    edited August 2

@sa2000 said:

There's plenty of space in /tmp.

Error on my Android TV Plex App: "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry."

I know the error is misleading because I get this error whenever the transcoder crash or when there's permission issue.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,447Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@anhtuan99 said:

@sa2000 said:

Error on my Android TV Plex App: "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry."

I know the error is misleading because I get this error whenever the transcoder crash or when there's permission issue.

Some questions that may help understand the problem

• Does the file play ok on other plex apps - other than the android TV app
    • Do all TrueHD / Dolby media files fail
    • When you start playing such a file, a process gets run and remains running. The executable run was this
      '/opt/plex-config/plex-hd/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-141-linux-ubuntu-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder/EasyAudioEncoder'
      Can you tell if it remains running? Does it start running?

• What do you have specified as the Transcoder Temp Directory? (Settings / Server / Transcoder / Show Advaned)

Do you know if the iNotify functionality is working in your environment ? It is relied on for EasyAudioEncoder -
    I notice that you do not have it in use for library updates

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

edited August 2

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

@sa2000 said:

Some questions that may help understand the problem

• Does the file play ok on other plex apps - other than the android TV app
    • Do all TrueHD / Dolby media files fail
    • When you start playing such a file, a process gets run and remains running. The executable run was this
      '/opt/plex-config/plex-hd/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-141-linux-ubuntu-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder/EasyAudioEncoder'
      Can you tell if it remains running? Does it start running?

• What do you have specified as the Transcoder Temp Directory? (Settings / Server / Transcoder / Show Advaned)

Do you know if the iNotify functionality is working in your environment ? It is relied on for EasyAudioEncoder -
    I notice that you do not have it in use for library updates

Ionotify works in my environment because I use the "Update my library automatically" settings and it works.

This is error is particular to Android TV Plex App because I know it's using EAE to do TrueHD -> AC3/EAC3 conversion. Playing from Plex Web app works fine because TrueHD -> AAC conversion isn't an issue because I believe it doesn't use EAE. I use /dev/shm as the Transcoder Temp directory and it still doesn't work when I change it to /tmp.

Will have to test it again later when I get home on the Android TV app to see if EasyAudioEncoder starts running at all.

And next of evidence please also include android app log

@sa2000 said:

Can you show me how to grab the log from the android app?

And FYI, I've increased the fs.inotify.max_user_watches & fs.file-max in /etc/sysctl.conf to 524288. This fixed an issue with EAE previously but it stopped working again a few updates again.

@anhtuan99 said:

@sa2000 said:

It is through the ip of the tv and port 32500
    See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-Android-TV-and-Fire-TV-Logs

@anhtuan99 said:

And FYI, I've increased the fs.inotify.max_user_watches & fs.file-max in /etc/sysctl.conf to 524288. This fixed an issue with EAE previously but it stopped working again a few updates again.

There are no references to iNotify in the log you provided

In fact it says auto library update is off

Aug 01, 2017 00:37:59.754 [0x7f83797fd700] DEBUG - Starting scheduled updates, every 3600 seconds
    Aug 01, 2017 00:37:59.754 [0x7f83797fd700] INFO - LibraryUpdateManager path watching is disabled

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

@sa2000 said:

It is through the ip of the tv and port 32500
    See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-Android-TV-and-Fire-TV-Logs

@anhtuan99 said:

There are no references to iNotify in the log you provided

In fact it says auto library update is off

Aug 01, 2017 00:37:59.754 [0x7f83797fd700] DEBUG - Starting scheduled updates, every 3600 seconds
    Aug 01, 2017 00:37:59.754 [0x7f83797fd700] INFO - LibraryUpdateManager path watching is disabled

I did turn it off when I was trying to reproduce this error because it would spam the log with thousands of "Watching..." messages.

This issue seem to be related to a combination of the Plex Media Server and the Plex App on the Android TV. On the Android TV app, I get the error if I try to play the video at Original quality I get the error. However, if I reduce the quality to 1080p 8mbps the video plays fine. I've attached both the server log and the Plex App log here.

@anhtuan99 said:
    This issue seem to be related to a combination of the Plex Media Server and the Plex App on the Android TV. On the Android TV app, I get the error if I try to play the video at Original quality I get the error. However, if I reduce the quality to 1080p 8mbps the video plays fine. I've attached both the server log and the Plex App log here.

Thank you will be looking at the evidence. Does look like the Andoid TV App did not like the high rates.

It does not help the investigation when the clock on TV app is 2 hours 23 minutes and 11 seconds out from the server !

Six tests - first and last streamed media, the rest failed within the android app with a Video Player Error

e.g.

08-06 11:53:58.411  i: [Exo1VideoPlayer] Player state changed: 3, Restarting: true
    08-06 11:53:59.083  e: [Exo1VideoPlayer] Player error detected
    08-06 11:53:59.087  e: An exception occurred: com.google.android.exoplayer.j: java.lang.IllegalStateException
    08-06 11:53:59.089  e: Stacktrace: com.google.android.exoplayer.j: java.lang.IllegalStateException
        at com.google.android.exoplayer.p.handleMessage(SourceFile:244)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:98)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:148)
        at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)
        at com.google.android.exoplayer.g.y.run(SourceFile:40)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException
        at android.media.MediaCodec.native_queueInputBuffer(Native Method)
        at android.media.MediaCodec.queueInputBuffer(MediaCodec.java:2165)
        at com.google.android.exoplayer.w.a(SourceFile:724)
        at com.google.android.exoplayer.w.a(SourceFile:531)
        at com.google.android.exoplayer.am.a(SourceFile:128)
        at com.google.android.exoplayer.p.j(SourceFile:432)
        at com.google.android.exoplayer.p.handleMessage(SourceFile:211)
        ... 4 more

08-06 11:53:59.212  i: [video] Error detected before playback

Subtract 2 hours 23 minutes 11 seconds from this time to match the PMS log extracts in the table

@anhtuan99 said:

I am referring it to the android team but I need a sample that gives the problem
    See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201035968-Generating-Sample-Files-from-Media

@anhtuan99 investigation suspended . Waiting for a sample file

Sorry was finding a place to upload the sample file. Here it is 100MB sample using the dd method:

http://depositfiles.com/files/cpdiw2idq

@anhtuan99 said:
    Sorry was finding a place to upload the sample file. Here it is 100MB sample using the dd method:

Thank you - I have passed the link to the android team

@anhtuan99 said:

The evidence was showing the problem when resuming
    Did you try when starting that same file from the beginning?
    There are some issues with the sample because dd was used - the length more than the actual clipped file

• nebur692nebur692 Posts: 7Members ✭✭

The same thing happens to Me, the movies with audio TrueHD or Dolby Atmos give error.

There could be different reasons for similar symptoms. Please raise a new forum topic with your diagnostics and screenshots - see

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

There are some issues with the sample because dd was used - the length more than the actual clipped file

It did occur from the beginning of the movie as well as when resuming. Here's another sample video created with mkvmerge:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8bz0mbBf1djVE5UVFllb2hybEk

@anhtuan99 said:

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

It did occur from the beginning of the movie as well as when resuming. Here's another sample video created with mkvmerge:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8bz0mbBf1djVE5UVFllb2hybEk

Thank you