If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sound/subtitle problem Samsung tv with plex 1019

So I have a samsung tv from 2011 that uses the plex 1019 version. And I have a PMS set up on my pc.

When I a play a mkv movie with internal srt, problems seems to occur in a weird way.

1. If I choose playback to "auto select" in my plex on my samsung tv, the audio shows DTS 5.1 The movie plays with great sound and picture quilty, but no subtitles are shown, they are just greyed out.
  2. If I choose direct playing, I have the same issue
  3. If I choose direct streaming or transcoding, audio shows as DTS 5.1, subtitle shows and are not greyed out, and sub mode shows embedded subtitles. When I watch the movie the quality is great, subtitles shows, BUT the sound does not come in DTS 5.1 anymore but as stereo 2 channel, even if the plex says it's DTS 5.1

What am I doing wrong? Now my only options seems to be to choose from watching in DTS 5.1 with no subtitles, or enjoy subtitles but then with only stereo sound 2 channel sound.

Would appreciate help very much

Thank you in advance

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,342Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

First: you should update to v 1.020 which can be found here. It has some updates for known issues.

In direct play mode only srt (sidecar) subtitles are supported. For all other types of subtitles you need transcoding.
    When you have a movie with a DTS 5.1 track, the audio will be transcoded to Dolby Digital surround.
    Could it be possible your audio amp has a problem with that or needs to be set in a different mode?

PS, if you haven't done so, you might want to download the manual for the app here.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• tottlefreetottlefree Posts: 2Members

Hello, and thank you very much for your answear!

I have now downloaded and installed v 1.020, but all the same issues remains. About my receiver it is set up to play the sound straight as it comes from the source. It is connect to my tv via hdmi arc. And it plays dts perfectly when I chose the auto playback option on plex app samsung tv. I can see it in the display of the receiver, since I have set it up to show me what kind of signal it plays and gets from the source. Though at this setting in the plex app the subtitles is not working.

The weird part though, as I select transcoding as playback on the plex app, since you say that is needed for all other subs than srt (sidecar), the subtite will show perfect, but the sound is then only in 2 channel stereo even though the plex app indicates that it is dts 5.1 in the setup. I know it is in stereo 2 channel, since that is the signal my receiver gets. When i press the green button on my remote control to access the audi and subtitle options when running the movie, I see that I have the correct subtitle, but the Audio field is just completely greyed out (??). It says nothing there. So I would clearly say the sound problems lies within the plex program or the mkv file, and not my receiver.

I do have an apple tv 4 also, that works with plex there. But the sad thing about the apple device is that it don't support dts playback. Thats why I wanted to use plex on my samsung tv instead, since it support dts signals to my receiver over the hdmi connection. But when I can't get subtitles to work with the right sound quality, I am hitting the wall here also. I did try allshare a little while, but find it very unstabel and it lacks a lot of functionality compared to Plex.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,342Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You may try to change the Samsung.xml file as described here.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation