If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Screensaver mixing photos and fanart

CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 474Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited August 1 in OpenPHT

Since today the screensaver in my OpenPHT embedded 1.8.0 mixes fanart and photos randomly although I specially selected photos in screensaver settings and until today this was also working fine.

Dunno if this has to do with the recent upgrade to PMS 1.8 but it was the only thing I have changed so it is not impossible ;)

Edit: Same happens on OpenPHT for Linux.

Best Answer

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 474Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

In the meantime I opened an issue at GitHub..

Answers

• smoldersonlinesmoldersonline Posts: 283Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 here. I switched skins, that may have caused the issue here.

• terranocuusterranocuus Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here as well. OpenPHT now shows media images with my photos, which I don't want. I believe it's related to PMS 1.8, as I ran that update the other day.

edited August 7

Good that I am not alone with this issue. I had to disable the photo slideshow screensaver although I enjoy looking at my photo library while listening to music.
    But is there any chance of this getting fixed? Should I file a bug report with GitHub?

Accepted Answer

In the meantime I opened an issue at GitHub..

• smoldersonlinesmoldersonline Posts: 283Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ Coxeroni: Thank you!

• PhtPht Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been using openpht 1.8.0 since release on a Raspberry PI 3 with the plex black edition skin, screensaver has shown photos exclusively for months until the latest plex server update to 1.8.0.4109.
    Just reverted to the non plex pass 1.7.5.4035 to see what happens.

@paulhuntterry I am interested in the outcome, but I guess this will solve the problem as it worked flawlessly before as you say.

Reverting to 1.7.5.4035 returned the screensaver to its previous photos only behaviour. I’m always cautious reverting software but haven’t seen any ill effects so far.

1.8.1.4140 is now out, does anyone know if this has fixed the screensaver issue?

edited August 16

@paulhuntterry said:
    1.8.1.4140 is now out, does anyone know if this has fixed the screensaver issue?

I just updated the server but the issue persists :(

• JimmyUkJimmyUk Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass, Plex Pro Installer Plex Pass

Glad this has been highlighted. Is the GIT public?

• Elessar01Elessar01 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JimmyUk said:
    Glad this has been highlighted. Is the GIT public?

https://github.com/RasPlex/OpenPHT/issues/262

I can confirm the same issue on the same version of the server.

• gwrankingwrankin Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Server 1.8.1.4140 and OpenPHT 1.8.0..
    I hope that Plex can look into this.. They mentioned a change to metadata in the release notes.. I have a feeling that somehow OpenPHT is just seeing both your photo library and its internal fan art/background art as the same 'library'.

I hate reverting to older versions and I'm ticked at myself for upgrading when PMS 1.7 was working just fine for me..

I'm upgrading my main drive tomorrow and cloning this one.. Maybe I'll revert on the new SSD and so long as there are no ill effects, just stay on version 1.7.xxx until it can be verified that OpenPHT works as expected..

With an HTPC I feel that OpenPHT (and Plex Black Edition skin) is a must.. Awhile back I had to use Plex Media Player and hated missing my photos so much that I went back to OpenPHT even though it had errored and deleted all my preferences..
    Maually re-doing all my prefrences so I could get a photo slideshow back was well worth it.. I'd do it again if I had to..

I'm mainly just worried that the regression is going to mess with shows watched since the last version...

Can you verify @paulhuntterry that your 'watched' shows didn't change when you downgraded PMS?

edited August 26

Did anyone try the new PMP release yet whether there is a similar photo screensaver? I have neither Windows nor Mac running so I can't test, maybe it's time to spin on my Win-VM ;)
    I would hate to turn my back on OpenPHT but the photo screensaver is something I miss really a lot...

Edit: The new PMP only has a boring "Plex graphic" screensaver :(

@Coxeroni , so what did the new PMP update bring?
    Are you talking about the unreleased version they sent an email about a few days ago?

I just can't stand the look of PMP (and the fact that you need mouse enabled to navigate quickly..) I really with they hadn't abandoned PHT..

@gwrankin said:
    @Coxeroni , so what did the new PMP update bring?
    Are you talking about the unreleased version they sent an email about a few days ago?

I just can't stand the look of PMP (and the fact that you need mouse enabled to navigate quickly..) I really with they hadn't abandoned PHT..

Yep, the new one available to Plex pass users. Just checked the screensaver and then I was done with it :)

Yep, the new one available to Plex pass users. Just checked the screensaver and then I was done with it :)

Well I guess I'm not that upset about it since I like OpenPHT WAY better than PMP...
    I just figured that the Server Update changed the way images were listed, and that may have been the case and PMP hasn't taken full advantage of it yet.

When I do my SSD upgrade today I'm going to downgrade to server version 1.7.xx
    I'll let you know how that goes..

I'm actually starting to get used to the mixed Photos and Fanart.. It reminds me I have shows/movies I have, but haven't watched yet. I'd still prefer just Photos (or even the option to do both), but I'm not losing my mind about it anymore.

• lukecrolukecro Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been getting a mix of both fan art and photos for a while (even I have OpenPHT set to just use fan art) - but I mostly like it, so I wasn't worried ... Until today, when the screensaver changed to just a blank dark screen... No photos or art. This latest problem seems to have started with Plex Server 1.9.1.4272. I haven't tried rolling back yet. Anyone else running into this?

• JimmyUkJimmyUk Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass, Plex Pro Installer Plex Pass

Another problem is the screen saver shows fanart from films from libraries that are not visible to the logged in user. So the kids play room user shows fan art from libraries that it's not able to access. I am hoping that we can get it back to how it was before with having the option of fanart or photos.. adding the option for both would be good also.