If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Which NAS should i buy?

vollervoller Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I want to upgrade to a better NAS due to limited CPU power with Plex (I currently have an ASUSTOR 1002T)

Was recommended an ASUSTOR AS3102T. But is it enough?
I want a NAS server which can handle my media without any issues (getting annoyed by the message "The server has no power to convert..."

Was hoping for some inspiration :)

Answers

• GoSpursGoGoSpursGo Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm currently in a similar boat. You really need some powerful hardware and it seems that QNAP is the best packaged NAS solution for that. It seems like the best solution would be a custom-built NAS, however that requires some computer expertise which you might not have. My computer knowledge is above average but I'm far from a pro so I'm leaning towards a QNAP for my next purchase. They have some pretty beefy hardware specs. Check em out: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/items_by_series.php?CA=2&ref=header

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 22,241Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited August 2017

The most basic question: "Convert audio only or convert audio & video?"
    Next comes the obvious: "How many at the same time?"
    Followed by: "What do you intend to play these on?"
    Lastly, and most importantly, "What formats and bitrates are your media?""

We often think it's a simple question but there is a lot of thought to put into NAS purchase. How much we intend to offload to it and what we're going to ask of it should be as defined as possible upfront.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,566Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What Chuck said !!

The most basic question: "Convert audio only or convert audio & video?"
    Next comes the obvious: "How many at the same time?"
    Followed by: "What do you intend to play these on?"
    Lastly, and most importantly, "What formats and bitrates are your media?""

Plex related : NAS Qnap TVS-1282, (Plex server & main storage) Synology 1817+ (backup Plex server & backup storage), 2x NUC (Skull i7 , i5), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (backup Plex servers)(2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• Sven68Sven68 Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the Asustor AS3202T (not 3102) and I would recommend it to you if you're intending to play 720p und 1080p files locally or over the internet. 10-15 GB files 1080p x264-mkv-files are transcoded to play over my 4 MBit upstream and it works like a charm but if you're playing 1080p files with a very high bitrate you might run into problems.