Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Live TV on the AppleTV

sarahfelldownsarahfelldown Members Posts: 2

According to the announcement, AppleTV gets Live TV but no DVR. But when I read about the requirements to view live TV everything says I need a DVR Tuner and digital antenna. I've got the antenna, but must I get a DVR tuner even though the AppleTV doesn't support the DVR function? I'm confused.

Sorry if the answer's right under my nose. I've been poking around the support and FAQs and I can't seems to find my answer.

Answers

• darciliciousdarcilicious Members, Plex Pass Posts: 586 Plex Pass

That's really bad wording on Plex's part. You don't need a "DVR" tuner, you need a TV tuner -- Plex really shouldn't be calling them DVR tuners since you can "just" watch TV with TV tuners.

So, yes, to watch live TV, you need a TV antenna AND TV tuner (or what Plex is calling a DVR tuner) per the list here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/225877427-Supported-DVR-Tuners-and-Antennas

• beekermd03beekermd03 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I am using the new live tv within plex and it works but I have to be honest. The experience is sluggish and changing channels sucks. I am used to using the Channels App on Apple TV and am spoiled. I highly recommend that app for live tv viewing on appletv.

Just my two cents.

• jayz78jayz78 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 159 Plex Pass
    edited August 3

@beekermd03 said:
    I am using the new live tv within plex and it works but I have to be honest. The experience is sluggish and changing channels sucks. I am used to using the Channels App on Apple TV and am spoiled. I highly recommend that app for live tv viewing on appletv.

Just my two cents.

100% agree. They can claim that Live TV is now inside Plex but you'd be pretty silly to use it when there are better options. Channel changes are slow, no program guide, time shifting doesn't work properly, app randomly goes back to the menu while watching live TV, no DVR functionality AT ALL (unless you do it via another client)....

Why would you ever use this abomination? Channels App is 100x better and stable as a rock or even use MrMc app with a tvheadend add on. I've got both and they are infinitely more mature and useable than Plex...yet Plex gets all the marketing attention.

• adrianwiadrianwi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 199 Plex Pass

Absolutely! Whilst it's a good step forward to have live TV in Plex, until it can get some way to replicating the ease of use of the Channels App it's little more than window dressing. It doesn't even have the same functionality as the iOS App, which at least provides some controls over the DVR.

That said, I didn't buy a lifetime Plexpass to have live TV, so it's better than nothing, although about as useful at the minute!

SuperMicro X10SL7-F with Intel Xeon E3-1231 and 32GB RAM running FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 (9x4TB RAID-Z2)

Running jails for Plex Media Server (1.7.5), PlexPy (1.4.20) and PlexEmail (0.8.7)
    Various non-Plex related jails (ownCloud, openVPN, unbound, VirtualBox, calibre, WordPress)
    Clients running macOS, iOS, tvOS and Linux plus library shares with ~20 friends and family

• tvillinitvillini Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Agreed with everyone here. I too use Channels and Plex. I'm on a mission to simplify, specifically for the family. And if I could get us down to Plex/Channels and DirecTV Now (for our "cable" channels) it would be nice. In order to do that, Channels would need to do the functionality that Plex has for DVD/BluRay content, or Plex would need to match MOST of what Channels has. For me that's stability, and faster channel changing, etc. What would be really nice would be if either integrated with the TV app. But I'm guessing there's a reason they don't do that.

• BehinderBehinder Members Posts: 4

If only there is a way to get somehow cable tv via tuner uncoded.
    HDHomeRUN has such model but this is only for CableCard. And yes, I am outside USA so no CC here, we use CAM I suppose.

• darciliciousdarcilicious Members, Plex Pass Posts: 586 Plex Pass

@Behinder said:
    If only there is a way to get somehow cable tv via tuner uncoded.
    HDHomeRUN has such model but this is only for CableCard. And yes, I am outside USA so no CC here, we use CAM I suppose.

There are THREE HDHomeRun products: Connect, Extend, and Prime. You want Connect (or Extend). PRIME is for CableCARD customers.