If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku Stream Stick Sudden Random Buffering on Direct Play

AmbrodogAmbrodog Posts: 6Members ✭✭

I am running a Gigabyte network with the wifi within 5 feet of the Roku streaming stick , i have never had any issues but now media will suddenly stop buffer and restart quickly.This occurs almost daily I have tested the PC, network, firewall everything I could think off.Issue might have started with the upgrade to PMS Version 1.7.5.4035? Can someone provide some advise on how to track this issue down.

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,695Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

I would first try accessing the same media from another Plex player app. You can use Plex Web on the browser of a computer, tablet, or phone other than your PMS computer. Connect wirelessly (since the stick is wireless) and make sure you are in the same area as your Roku (do not stand next to your router if your Roku is on the other side of your home).

It will help you isolate the issue and determine if this only occurs on the Roku.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• AmbrodogAmbrodog Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Thanks for responding Tablet works fine, although stream was transcoded. Seems to be a Roku Thing

• AmbrodogAmbrodog Posts: 6Members ✭✭

@shopgirl284 said:
    I do not have issues with my Roku Stick, but I have the free HDMI extension from Roku and the HDMI ports on my TV are on the edge, so there is no interference.

Make sure your Plex Media Server is hardwired (having both on WiFi leads to more buffering issues). Also, if this just started occurring, it could be related to the Roku v7.7 firmware release that is causing issues for others.

Thanks for all your help, My guess is its the firmware.I looked through the logs and noticed it was not buffering but switching from direct play to direct stream. I disabled direct play for now and everything is good