If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMP for 4K HDR

ianegertonianegerton Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been trawling the forums but can't find a definitive answer to this.

I currently run PMP on a Windows 10 machine using onboard video from my ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M. This is limited to 1080p over HDMI.

I have a 4K HDR enabled TV and can view HDR on 4K Blu rays using my Xbox One S.

If I update my graphics card to something like the Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 will plex be able to direct play 4K HDR content to my TV?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• GhostmGhostm Posts: 234Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I dont think it can pass hdr, i dont know how it handles it, its the only feature missing playback wise from pmp...

After that the video and audio engine can do everything one could reasonably hope for.

edited August 6

Speaking of hdr has @vlang implemented anything to remap hdr titles for sdr output?

My hdr titles instead of showing to dark (since we have no hdr support) now appear to be blown out brightness and contrast wise after the update. I am getting weird artifacts/noise/banding in some blacks on hdr titles. I like the idea, it is just having some unusual side effects.

• ianegertonianegerton Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any advances on this question?

Is there still no all round solution for 4K HDR with full audio bit-streaming?

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,609Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

4K should work with reasonably capable hardware (and hardware decoding enabled). There is no guarantee the performance is good enough - this is a bit shaky because 4K is so heavy.

HDR is still an open question.

@vlang said:
    4K should work with reasonably capable hardware (and hardware decoding enabled). There is no guarantee the performance is good enough - this is a bit shaky because 4K is so heavy.

HDR is still an open question.

Yeah 4k works fine with my cheap rx 460, hd streaming audio is working fine such as atmos and dts:x, the only thing missing to make this a perfect high end player is hdr unfortunately. Then pmp would be able to handle pretty much everything.

Also on that note I dont know how difficult anything like this would be to implement for pmp in comparison to madvr. I use amd but i could switch to nvidia. Point number 5 appears to use nvidia api to switch in and out of hdr in madvr.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1810891#post1810891

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,609Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Ghostm yes, that seems about trying to put connected TVs properly into HDR mode. This talks about using private nvidia APIs - I certainly wouldn't appreciate such a solution, and I don't even have a Windows test machine with a nvidia card to test. I'm hoping the Windows OS APIs improve so that they're actually useful.

For whatever its worth i did finally get around to installing windows 10, and tried hdr files in windows built in windows 10 media player and they all played and looked good on my rx 460, at least i can rule out any issues with my graphics card creating hdr issues with pmp currently since i get weird artifacts in dark scenes.

I thought about using it for my hdr files, but its just not the same as using pmp designed for a tv with a remote. Pulling out the keyboard using windows media player is very tough.

If Windows Media Player can do it, it's at least a good sign that the Windows standard APIs actually work. (Assuming it doesn't use any private/secret APIs.)

• ianegertonianegerton Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So essentially if you want 4k hdr with atmos/dts:x the only game in town is still the nvidia shield?