If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback error "shaka3015" keeps interrupting my viewing pleasure

Ronin_pHRonin_pH Posts: 2Members

The web app has worked splendidly ever for several months, but ever since this Friday, when my web app got some sort of update (the GUI changed over night for me), my videos keep on interrupting. It's the same error code. Please tell me what this code means, and if it's something I can fix!

Plex Media Server: macOS Sierra
Plex App: Safari on same macOS Sierra

Thank you for your help!

Tagged:

Answers

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,200Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the report. Could you help by providing some more details?

• Does it happen with every video or just particular videos? If specific videos, a sample we could use to reproduce the error would help a lot.
    • Does it happen in the middle of playback or at the start? If in the middle, does it happen at approximately the same time into the video?
    • What version of Plex Media Server are you running?
    • Could you restart your server, reproduce the error, and provide Plex Media Server logs?
  • WavieWavie Posts: 2Members

Hi I have been receiving a similar error too "shaka3016(Media)"

Does it happen with every video or just particular videos? If specific videos, a sample we could use to reproduce the error would help a lot.

For me, it has happened since the new update as well. It has happened with every video I have watched. All of which have been quite large videos about 44 mins long and about 4GB in size.

Does it happen in the middle of playback or at the start? If in the middle, does it happen at approximately the same time into the video?

It has happened within the last 3 minutes everytime without fail.

What version of Plex Media Server are you running?

Could you restart your server, reproduce the error, and provide Plex Media Server logs?

I am running the most recent as of today: Version 1.7.5.403
    My server has restarted multiple times in between the errors.

• WavieWavie Posts: 2Members

I've just tested the videos outside of plex and they all play through fine using any other media player. Additionally, if I change the viewing settings to be anything other than "Original" the errors cease.

• nowaydown1nowaydown1 Posts: 1Members Plex Pass
    edited September 7

UPDATE 9/7/17: I'm still experiencing this on 1.8.3.4235.

Another user here with the same experience.

Does it happen with every video or just particular videos? If specific videos, a sample we could use to reproduce the error would help a lot.

I haven't thumbed through the rest of my catalog to see where else this is happening, but I am able to reproduce the error with a particular video. It's Ed Sheeran's 2014 iTunes Festival performance. I've made the file available through my OneDrive so you can do some testing with it. Apologies for the high bitrate / filesize (~6.4GB).

You can get the file here:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvvL4T_f2J2x4zzS0YSkngQ4xK18

I've played the file in question back successfully many times in the past using PLEX without issue. File plays fine through Windows Media Player.

Does it happen in the middle of playback or at the start? If in the middle, does it happen at approximately the same time into the video?

Haven't been able to get it to happen starting right from the beginning of playback. One thing I've noticed is that it's always related to me skipping to random points in the video file. Interestingly, small skips (one or two minutes) don't seem to reproduce the error, only large skips (25%+ of the video's total length). If I do small skips to get to the timecode marker where a large skip crapped out, it will normally play through that section just fine. Occasionally I can jump from the start of a video to almost the end without any problems. But then if I jump back in the video I'll get the error. Normally only takes 3-4 big jumps before I get the error.

I'm running 1.7.5.4035.

Could you restart your server, reproduce the error, and provide Plex Media Server logs?

Sure. You can grab the log file from here:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvvL4T_f2J2x4ztFtiC66gPF_9jN

Environment Notes
    Host machine is Windows 10 machine running an Ubuntu VM that hosts PLEX. Playback was done with Chrome on my main desktop environment by connecting to PLEX via the network (via plex.tv). The media files are accessed by PLEX through a mounted folder share that connects to a local storage array on the machine running the PLEX VM. Virtualization is done by VMWare Workstation 12.5.7 build-5813279. About 26GB free on the disk. VM has 6GB of ram and 4 cores dedicated to it.

• xFilosofxxFilosofx Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I received the same error. Here is information on the situation:
    Host: Windows Server 2016, PMS 1.8.0.4109, file storage on SMB Share
    Client: PlexWEB CHrome 60.0.3112.90 х64
    **File: **
    Time: 3:27:39
    Size 610.71 MB
    Container MKV
    Video Profile main
    Codec H264

• FrontixFrontix Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since this summer play server is fucked up.
    Got the same error.
    Sometimes at the start of the movie, or in the middle.
    Error = Shaka3015

• frizkiefrizkie Posts: 3Members ✭✭
    edited August 17

Same issue. Only had the issue since I started watching a new series. 60 minute length H.264 MKV, around 11000 kbps, 24fps, 1080p. Had the issue intermittently with all episodes of both seasons I have. The first 5-6 times it happened in the last 3 minutes or so, conveniently always within a few seconds of the credits rolling. Not sure if this is coincidence or not. The time that spurred me to write this is that it started happening in the opening theme now.

Ubuntu Server 16.0.4.2
    Plex Media Server 1.7.5.4035
    Streamed remotely to Chrome 60.0.3112.90 on Windows 10
    Video direct stream
    Audio transcoded EAC3 5.1 to AAC

• boran_blokboran_blok Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I get the 3016 error as well in chrome

debian server buster/sid
    Plex media server 1.8.1.4139
    Streamed remotly to chrome/IE/Edge on windows 10 (all these browsers give same error, firefox works)

I am trying to play back music (mp3 files)

if I check the chrome://media-internals I get this info:

duration    332.2459
    error   Append: stream parsing failed. Data size=731 append_window_start=0 append_window_end=332.286
    origin_url  https://app.plex.tv/
    pipeline_error  CHUNK_DEMUXER_ERROR_APPEND_FAILED
    pipeline_state  kStopped
    player_id   0
    render_id   50
    url blob:https://app.plex.tv/214b6a5c-55d6-4faa-8c11-8e48dee05b48

And this log:

00:00:00 00 pipeline_state  kCreated
    00:00:00 00 origin_url  https://app.plex.tv/
    00:00:00 00 url blob:https://app.plex.tv/214b6a5c-55d6-4faa-8c11-8e48dee05b48
    00:00:00 01 pipeline_state  kStarting
    00:00:00 195    error   Append: stream parsing failed. Data size=731 append_window_start=0 append_window_end=332.286
    00:00:00 196    pipeline_error  CHUNK_DEMUXER_ERROR_APPEND_FAILED
    00:00:00 196    pipeline_state  kStopping
    00:00:00 196    pipeline_state  kStopped
    00:00:00 102    duration    332.2459

• chutzler@thfn.orgchutzler@thfn.org Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting this as well on files I know have previously played fine. The only thing I see in my plexmediaserver.log is...

Aug 24, 2017 10:16:33.228 [0x7f850cffe700] ERROR - get - invalid frameRate value: 23.976
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:35.109 [0x7f850d7ff700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [dash @ 0x1e21f40] Cannot use rename on non file protocol, this may lead to races and temporary partial files
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:35.392 [0x7f8519ddf700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [mp4 @ 0x1efa800] Application provided duration: -16 / timestamp: 236520 is out of range for mov/mp4 format
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:36.311 [0x7f850cffe700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [mp4 @ 0x1efa800] Application provided duration: -16 / timestamp: 724952 is out of range for mov/mp4 format
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:37.255 [0x7f850cffe700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [mp4 @ 0x1efa800] Application provided duration: -16 / timestamp: 1447896 is out of range for mov/mp4 format
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:39.151 [0x7f8518fff700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [mp4 @ 0x1efa800] Application provided duration: -16 / timestamp: 3120104 is out of range for mov/mp4 format
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:41.257 [0x7f8518fff700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [mp4 @ 0x1efa800] Application provided duration: -16 / timestamp: 4589544 is out of range for mov/mp4 format
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:47.495 [0x7f8519ddf700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [mp4 @ 0x1efa800] Application provided duration: -16 / timestamp: 9377768 is out of range for mov/mp4 format
    Aug 24, 2017 10:16:52.202 [0x7f85113ff700] ERROR - [Transcoder] [mp4 @ 0x1efa800] Application provided duration: -16 / timestamp: 12991448 is out of range for mov/mp4 format

• GatrieGatrie Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just started receiving the same error today. (shaka3015) I also noticed there was a server update, run that, restarted everything and am still getting the error.

For me it happens on multiple files all around 200MB-700MB and at any interval (beginning, middle, and end of playback). It will happen about every 3-5 mins as another user has stated above.

Anyone found a workaround for this yet?

• thisgoeswherethisgoeswhere Posts: 1Members

I'm getting the same and it's so annoying. For me it doesn't matter what it is, I get a shaka3014, shaka3015, shaka3016 error, one of the 3. Happens with longer movies, almost always 1 hour and 45 mins in. Every single time. The only device the videos play on correctly is the Roku. Does it on my laptop in chrome/safari, desktop in chrome/IE/Firefox, PS4 plex app, Xbone plex app. Does not matter if an AVI, MKV or MP4.

I can skip about 5 mins ahead and it'll continue to play fine and finish the movie, but this is a royal pain on every single device because I have to restart from the beginning and fast forward to about the 1 hour and 50 min mark. I can't resume and fast forward, it errors immediately.

I even get the errors trying to play from my plex server itself. Happened with the update near the beginning of august, I'm now on the latest, 1.8.1.4139 on a Mac Mini with all updates installed, rebooted everything, still does it.

• Fiala06Fiala06 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just received this error for the first time as well. I'm only 3 mins into a TV show.

Playback Error
        An error occurred trying to play "Episode 2".
        shaka3016 (Media)

Never had this issue till I updated PMS yesterday.

This is kinda interesting also. After I got that error it keeps saying I'm playing it multiple times! I'm the only user.. (https://us.v-cdn.net/6025034/uploads/editor/qv/gcy2idxg3j6i.png "")

Server Version 1.8.1.4139

Chrome
    Converting
    Video Direct Steam
    Audio Transcoding EAC3 to AAC

• slotcargeekslotcargeek Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am getting shaka3016 error. It is

Does it happen with every video or just particular videos?
    It is happening on specific MP3s, which have played fine w Plex in the past and still play correctly when I tested w VLC.

It happens at the start of the MP3

Version 1.7.4.4017

I have re-started PMS several times and the errors are still occurring.

• jad257jad257 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am getting the same error with multiple files. One after 8:32, one after 53:00. It provides the error in the browser, but on Apple TV and PS4, playback just stops.

I'm on PlexPass, 1.8.2.4209, and it's happened for the last several releases.

Running in an LXD container on Ubuntu LTS 16.04. ZFS filesystem.

I have restarted the server and PMS.

• 1backa1backa Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm suddenly getting the same error as well, shaka3016, 3015 and 3014 (Media). It happens after about 30 minutes in the Plex Web app (both Chrome and Safari). I'm on MacOS.

There has not been a problem ever before today and I've been using plex for years. I'm on 1.8.2.4209 (Plex Pass).

• jad257jad257 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@daniel.enbacka said:
    I'm suddenly getting the same error as well, shaka3016, 3015 and 3014 (Media). It happens after about 30 minutes in the Plex Web app (both Chrome and Safari). I'm on MacOS.

There has not been a problem ever before today and I've been using plex for years. I'm on 1.8.2.4209 (Plex Pass).

Same for me. It's been completely flawless. I now have no idea where to watch media, I've become so reliant.

Just took the latest version as of todays update (1.8.3.4235) and it's still doing the same thing. I can bring up plex media player and play the files just fine, I can play them via the app on my samsung tv's just fine, my android phone works fine, but the web app continues to give me this stupid "shaka3015(Media)" error (Hell, I even installed Emby beside my plex server on the same machine and it serves the media to all clients and the web app just fine).

As a long time user and monthly plex pass member, this sudden change in whatever caused this is really getting annoying, and the lack of a response from the folks at plex in these forums to assist the people who are posting about having the problem is, IMO unacceptable.

• sk0rp10sk0rp10 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue on the Synology Plex server, latest server release . The issue shows up with Safari, while it works fine on Chrome.

edited September 5

It's still doing it for me in 3.20.4 as of 30 seconds ago, but I'm getting shaka3015 errors, that message says it fixed shaka1001 error.

I'm going to attach a debug log to this message for anyone from plex who cares to look, I tried to cut it so the relevant parts remain.