Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex PS4 App vs PS4 Media Player

chrisfro_plexchrisfro_plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass
edited August 6 in PlayStation

I have a Plex Pass for few months now and I can say that I'm happy about it.

I like what Plex is doing and that I see new things coming out from time to time. That's great.

I have my PMS installed at home on a Synology DS214se - so it's a cheap one, not very powerful, but works ok for what I need.

I used to have a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with RasPlex and it worked perfectly for months.

Recently I bought a PS4 and I was very happy thinking that I could use the official Plex App to watch all my movies & tv shows.

But (there's always a but, right?)... Nothing works on the app (well, maybe I'm exaggerating because I did not test everything). Anyway, the idea is that all that I tried to launch brought me this error :disappointed: :

There was a problem playing this item.
This server is not powerful enough to convert video

Being pretty disappointed, I started to look a possible solution online. And, at one point, found a guy who used the PS4 Media Player to watch Plex movies. So I activated DLNA on my PMS, installed the Media Player app on the PS4 and it works like a charm. There are still few titles that aren't playing, but it's like 2 from 30 I've tried, compared to 30 from 30 that I've tried with the Plex PS4 app.

And now my question : if using DLNA works great, why we cannot use this in the Plex App? I'd love to be able to use the Plex App on my PS4 - this way I can use the users I've created, saving the progress for each user, etc... Or maybe it's possible and I don't know how to activated?!?

Does someone have any idea?

Thanks