If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What version of PMS do you have running on your Shield?

StuartWildmanStuartWildman Posts: 18Members ✭✭

I understand the PMS Shield version isn't on the play store, however I was having " Connection to the server was lost" problems (annoying as the server and app are BOTH on Shield), so ended up deleting Data, getting stuck, uninstalling the software, then re-installing an APK i found.
So probably not running the correct version.

The Plex Media Server 1.8.0.4109-42bd8c63f
The Plex for Android 6.3.2.1332

If this is the wrong version, is there a way to reset / reinstall?
Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,441Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

On a regular computer you should go to the Google play store (be sure you are logged in with the account you are using on your Shield) and search for "Plex Server" and then push that version to your Shield. You may have to uninstall the version you have first as the current official (beta) version for the Shield is 1.7.4.4017

I am in the beta for the Shield so I am not completely sure what the latest "regular" version is but I am pretty sure it is not the version you have.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• rouqrouq Posts: 361Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Actually, 1.7.4.4017 is the official release. The beta release is at 1.8.x

• StuartWildmanStuartWildman Posts: 18Members ✭✭

Thanks for the replies.
    Seems I signed up for the Beta, when trying to resolved issues last week.

I read somewhere on a Plex site that you can't actually download the office Plex Shield PMS, as it comes pre-installed.

I can however remove myself from the Beta and wait for the next upgrade (If I can't see a way round this)

"Tip!: If you no longer want to use preview releases, you can visit the same page and choose to no longer be a tester. You'll then need to wait for the next regular Plex Media Server release, which will update over the previous preview release."

• StuartWildmanStuartWildman Posts: 18Members ✭✭

I factory reset.
    And back to watching.
    I now think the issue of lost connection is, when PMS is processing the shows, it can't load the full list of shows.

• ilbossilboss Posts: 19Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@StuartWildman said:
    Thanks for the replies.
    Seems I signed up for the Beta, when trying to resolved issues last week.

I read somewhere on a Plex site that you can't actually download the office Plex Shield PMS, as it comes pre-installed.

I can however remove myself from the Beta and wait for the next upgrade (If I can't see a way round this)

"Tip!: If you no longer want to use preview releases, you can visit the same page and choose to no longer be a tester. You'll then need to wait for the next regular Plex Media Server release, which will update over the previous preview release."

What is the page to remove from the plex beta tester?

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Posts: 194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ilboss said:

See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/220583/help-us-beta-test-the-android-tv-app

Click on "Go to Play Store..." link.

• ilbossilboss Posts: 19Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@FordGuy61 said:

@ilboss said:

See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/220583/help-us-beta-test-the-android-tv-app

Click on "Go to Play Store..." link.

thank you so much