If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

CCU Crashes with AC3 Audio

intrepidpursuitintrepidpursuit Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited August 7 in Google Chromecast

I have a CCU running cast version 1.26.92486 connected via a wired network to my plex server running PMS 1.8.0.4109. When I play any video with an AC3 audio stream, the chromecast goes to a black screen and reboots without warning. Sometimes it plays pulsing snippets of audio for a few seconds first, sometimes it just reboots without doing so.

If I cast from the server itself and set the debug settings to not allow direct stream or direct play (either one being checked causes the crash) then it will stream fine. In the streaming info it says the video is transcoding h.264 to h.264 and audio is Direct Stream.

I've tried many different video files with h.264 and h.265 and various resolutions and frame rates and the only commonality that causes a crash seems to be AC3 audio.

I don't know exactly when this started, but it was in the last couple of weeks.

I did at one point modify the chromecast.xml file trying to get it to play h.265 files. I think Plex overwrote it anyway, but I deleted the profile files and did an install repair on plex and they all reappeared, so I believe it is back to the default profile.

Please let me know if there is more I can do to help troubleshoot this problem. Thank you.

Answers

• SacalmMSacalmM Posts: 6Members Plex Pass

@intrepidpursuit said:
    I have a CCU running cast version 1.26.92486 connected via a wired network to my plex server running PMS 1.8.0.4109. When I play any video with an AC3 audio stream, the chromecast goes to a black screen and reboots without warning. Sometimes it plays pulsing snippets of audio for a few seconds first, sometimes it just reboots without doing so.

If I cast from the server itself and set the debug settings to not allow direct stream or direct play (either one being checked causes the crash) then it will stream fine. In the streaming info it says the video is transcoding h.264 to h.264 and audio is Direct Stream.

I've tried many different video files with h.264 and h.265 and various resolutions and frame rates and the only commonality that causes a crash seems to be AC3 audio.

I don't know exactly when this started, but it was in the last couple of weeks.

I did at one point modify the chromecast.xml file trying to get it to play h.265 files. I think Plex overwrote it anyway, but I deleted the profile files and did an install repair on plex and they all reappeared, so I believe it is back to the default profile.

Please let me know if there is more I can do to help troubleshoot this problem. Thank you.

Delete the second audio AC3 ;)

I'm using mkvtoolnix.