If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

UI Mouse/volume

benetahbenetah Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

UI just updated. General changes and look are fine, but the mouse used to turn up/down volume using the scroll function natively. (windows 10, chrome, web app) seams like this was a nice feature. I guess I can macro the Logitech mouse to do the same function, but would be nice if that was native again. This looks like a forum post, is there a better place to post my observation/suggestion to fix for the Plex developers?

Tagged:

Answers

• rspeicherrspeicher Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I miss this feature too, seems like a regression.

• evulhotdogevulhotdog Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It is most definitely regression.

I hope it comes back. I can't go back to CLICKING AND DRAGGING! gasp

But really. It should be brought back because it was a really great feature, as small as it was.

• media_pc01media_pc01 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 10

Please return the option to change volume with the mouse.

The Plex team updates the UI and it looks very nice, I like it a lot but you also take away a wonderful convenient feature that helps people with disabilities who can't use both hands and only use the mouse and the wheel for full control.

I am hoping this is a bug and will be returned in a patched version of the webUI client.

Thank you,

• imarotteimarotte Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed. I have forgotten and tried to use the scroll button at least once every time I've used the webclient since the change. I've even caught myself trying to do it on netflix and becoming frustrated they don't have it.

It was a great feature. And it's not like the scroll button is being used for something else now. So from a user standpoint, we don't lose anything by adding it back

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,129Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You can still use the mouse wheel when you move the mouse pointer over the volume slider on your screen.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

The whole reason that it was absurdly convenient is because you don't have to move the mouse onto that small section. You just move it to the video area (on the modern OS's it takes focus from mouse input) and scroll.

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,914Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It was not convenient when I would play music, then try to browse through photos. When I rolled the wheel expecting to scroll through photos, the music volume changed.

I haven't used Plex for photo storage in a while, but does the scroll wheel have any use in that viewer?

Last time I used it, everything was click or arrow key oriented, not scroll wheel. I feel that your particular situation would fall under user error.

That being said, I would expect the use case to change when viewing different parts of the application. It could have more than one use.

• beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,914Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 6

@evulhotdog said:
    I haven't used Plex for photo storage in a while, but does the scroll wheel have any use in that viewer?

Yes, it does, exactly as I described it. If the player was off, the scroll wheel scrolled the page of photo thumbnails, just like any web page. When the player was present, its commandeering of the wheel adversely affected the expected behavior.

That being said, I would expect the use case to change when viewing different parts of the application. It could have more than one use.

I can agree with that.

• BrownsoundBrownsound Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please bring this feature back, this is a huge loss.

• KryieSinKryieSin Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed this is a major inconvenience. I use the UI from a distance regularly and not having to target the volume slider was extremely convenient. This change is extremely frustrating.

• nauipnauip Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Time to be part of the vocal majority.

And in @Beckfield's case you could do some fancy computer mathematics and figure out which function is primarily in use (video, photo, music) and adjust the scroll wheel function accordingly.

Screen full of photos? Let's scroll those photos!
    Screen full of pretty movie? Let's adjust volume!
    For the music album I'd give the nod to scrolling all the music album tiles.

Hey, look at all this feedback. It's like something that should occur BEFORE sweeping & drastic UI changes.
    Like swapping the Close & Fullscreen buttons. WTF was with that?

• EnddaEndda Posts: 69Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please bring this feature back

• nauipnauip Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I need my mouse scroll = volume adjust back!