Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why are HD channels not available on Plex TV in the UK?

andyp250andyp250 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD connected to an Nvidia Shield TV in the UK but when I use Plex to scan for channels I don't get any HD channels. Please advise.

Best Answer

• daz98daz98 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

i contacted regarding this
    they replied

There’s a driver issue currently with the Hauppauge tuners. Hauppauge has fixed it on their side and updated their Windows and Linux drivers, but the shield needs a firmware update to get the latest drivers, so it might be a little bit. In the meantime you could plug the tuner into another machine and use it fine, until the next Shield firmware update.

so is a driver issue with Hauppauge but does homerun hd work then?

I then asked about hd homerun would work.
    they replied
    So there is 2 present issues we’re working through. The channel scan problem you experienced means the HD channels never show up, because they are DVB-T2. This is the issue I mentioned previously, and only affects Hauppauge USB tuners.

The other issue is for some reason Gracenote has removed ‘Freeview’ for UK channel listings, so you have to map with ‘YouView’ which a few channels is missing. We’re working with them to correct this, but this affects all tuners, including hdhomerun.

If you can manage with this issue present, then an HDHomeRun is a great solution

so should get hd channels with hd homerun in uk with Nvidia shield.

I personally can confirm I have now homerun connected and I can get hd channels in uk on plex dvr, however when watching them on other Android device very stop start weak signal message keeps appearing also it seems to be causing havoc with Nvidia server keeps going on and off!! but when using homerun app works perfectly! just note it did not automatically enable hd channels I had to manually assign epg channels to them presume due to homerun finding freeview channels and plex using youview epg channels which are different I think.

Answers

• AtanuBoseAtanuBose Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I'd like to know too... I am having the same problem , and am not sure whether this is right as I was expecting HD as well

• mrtammrtam Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

+1 here. FWIW, I've tested the tuner on a standalone Linux server, same deal when using Plex to manage the TV. When I hand control of TV over to tvheadend w/kodi, it works flawlessly. This is an absolute dealbreaker for me, and the sole reason I purchased a Shield, tuner and Plex pass. How they can call this 'out of beta' is beyond me! Will be 14-day returning.

• Phil EvelynPhil Evelyn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

What part of the UK are you in? All worked fine for me from the DVB Crystal Palace transmitter.

• daz98daz98 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

i contacted regarding this
    they replied

There’s a driver issue currently with the Hauppauge tuners. Hauppauge has fixed it on their side and updated their Windows and Linux drivers, but the shield needs a firmware update to get the latest drivers, so it might be a little bit. In the meantime you could plug the tuner into another machine and use it fine, until the next Shield firmware update.

so is a driver issue with Hauppauge but does homerun hd work then?

I then asked about hd homerun would work.
    they replied
    So there is 2 present issues we’re working through. The channel scan problem you experienced means the HD channels never show up, because they are DVB-T2. This is the issue I mentioned previously, and only affects Hauppauge USB tuners.

The other issue is for some reason Gracenote has removed ‘Freeview’ for UK channel listings, so you have to map with ‘YouView’ which a few channels is missing. We’re working with them to correct this, but this affects all tuners, including hdhomerun.

If you can manage with this issue present, then an HDHomeRun is a great solution

so should get hd channels with hd homerun in uk with Nvidia shield.

I personally can confirm I have now homerun connected and I can get hd channels in uk on plex dvr, however when watching them on other Android device very stop start weak signal message keeps appearing also it seems to be causing havoc with Nvidia server keeps going on and off!! but when using homerun app works perfectly! just note it did not automatically enable hd channels I had to manually assign epg channels to them presume due to homerun finding freeview channels and plex using youview epg channels which are different I think.