If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why are HD channels not available on Plex TV in the UK?

andyp250andyp250 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD connected to an Nvidia Shield TV in the UK but when I use Plex to scan for channels I don't get any HD channels. Please advise.

Best Answer

• daz98daz98 Posts: 18Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

i contacted regarding this
    they replied

There’s a driver issue currently with the Hauppauge tuners. Hauppauge has fixed it on their side and updated their Windows and Linux drivers, but the shield needs a firmware update to get the latest drivers, so it might be a little bit. In the meantime you could plug the tuner into another machine and use it fine, until the next Shield firmware update.

so is a driver issue with Hauppauge but does homerun hd work then?

I then asked about hd homerun would work.
    they replied
    So there is 2 present issues we’re working through. The channel scan problem you experienced means the HD channels never show up, because they are DVB-T2. This is the issue I mentioned previously, and only affects Hauppauge USB tuners.

The other issue is for some reason Gracenote has removed ‘Freeview’ for UK channel listings, so you have to map with ‘YouView’ which a few channels is missing. We’re working with them to correct this, but this affects all tuners, including hdhomerun.

If you can manage with this issue present, then an HDHomeRun is a great solution

so should get hd channels with hd homerun in uk with Nvidia shield.

I personally can confirm I have now homerun connected and I can get hd channels in uk on plex dvr, however when watching them on other Android device very stop start weak signal message keeps appearing also it seems to be causing havoc with Nvidia server keeps going on and off!! but when using homerun app works perfectly! just note it did not automatically enable hd channels I had to manually assign epg channels to them presume due to homerun finding freeview channels and plex using youview epg channels which are different I think.

Answers

• AtanuBoseAtanuBose Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd like to know too... I am having the same problem , and am not sure whether this is right as I was expecting HD as well

• mrtammrtam Posts: 1Members Plex Pass

+1 here. FWIW, I've tested the tuner on a standalone Linux server, same deal when using Plex to manage the TV. When I hand control of TV over to tvheadend w/kodi, it works flawlessly. This is an absolute dealbreaker for me, and the sole reason I purchased a Shield, tuner and Plex pass. How they can call this 'out of beta' is beyond me! Will be 14-day returning.

• Phil EvelynPhil Evelyn Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What part of the UK are you in? All worked fine for me from the DVB Crystal Palace transmitter.

• daz98daz98 Posts: 18Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

they replied

There’s a driver issue currently with the Hauppauge tuners. Hauppauge has fixed it on their side and updated their Windows and Linux drivers, but the shield needs a firmware update to get the latest drivers, so it might be a little bit. In the meantime you could plug the tuner into another machine and use it fine, until the next Shield firmware update.

they replied
    So there is 2 present issues we’re working through. The channel scan problem you experienced means the HD channels never show up, because they are DVB-T2. This is the issue I mentioned previously, and only affects Hauppauge USB tuners.

The other issue is for some reason Gracenote has removed ‘Freeview’ for UK channel listings, so you have to map with ‘YouView’ which a few channels is missing. We’re working with them to correct this, but this affects all tuners, including hdhomerun.

If you can manage with this issue present, then an HDHomeRun is a great solution

I personally can confirm I have now homerun connected and I can get hd channels in uk on plex dvr, however when watching them on other Android device very stop start weak signal message keeps appearing also it seems to be causing havoc with Nvidia server keeps going on and off!! but when using homerun app works perfectly! just note it did not automatically enable hd channels I had to manually assign epg channels to them presume due to homerun finding freeview channels and plex using youview epg channels which are different I think.

• HTPC-14HTPC-14 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@daz98 said:
    they replied

they replied

This seems to suggest this is fixed under Windows, I just got a WinTV-DualHD USB tuner and use Plex Server under Windows but when scanning cannot find any HD channels. The latest driver I can find for the tuner came out in 2016, so the question is where can I find these mentioned updated drivers which fix this issue?

• JohnnieWalkerPlexServerJohnnieWalkerPlexServer Posts: 13Members ✭✭

I recently switched boradband provider and as a replacement for my VirginMedia Tivo box functionality I decided to get an Nvidia Shield TV and a HD Homerun Connect, together with a Plex Pass for the Live TV and DVR features.

I've been pretty dissapointed so far, I was having all kinds of issues at first, so I factory reset my Shield TV and started again, without installing any other apps, and after updating the Plex Server app I was able to setup the Live TV and DVR features.

I also found the setup less than ideal for UK HD Freeview channels, but I just disabled all but the HD channels.

It appears to be working better than it did, but still feels like it could stop working or stutter/glitch at any moment.

I also keep getting an error message popup saying "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry."

Using the Live TV and DVR need to be rock solid to be usable, and at the moment it's not :(

• henrooohenrooo Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JohnnieWalkerPlexServer said:
    I also keep getting an error message popup saying "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry."

Using the Live TV and DVR need to be rock solid to be usable, and at the moment it's not :(

Hi @JohnnieWalkerPlexServer,

I have been experiencing the same error message amongst other bugs. I uninstalled the client last app(Plex, not plex server) and reinstalled it again.

That fixed the error message "Playback has stopped because the connection to the Plex Media Server has been lost. Please ensure the server is available and retry."

However, with that solved, I now have an audio lag/sync issue while watching Live TV. The audio lag issue went away with the last server update, however, it has come back again.

IMO, Plex is just not stable enough at the moment.

• JohnnieWalkerPlexServerJohnnieWalkerPlexServer Posts: 13Members ✭✭
    edited September 19

@henrooo good to know it's not just me!

Also, I find that playing back recorded tv shows is horrible via the Plex TV interface, the file takes ages to load, with the spinning orange circle icon, and then when it starts it's frozen on the same image but the audio is playing in the background.

I installed Kodi with the Plex for Kodi addon, and set it to launch at startup, as the Plex for Kodi interface is just so much better and works properly.

Previously, before I reset the Shield TV, I had tried the HDhomerun app but it just looks so ugly and clunky I couldn't live with it, and what's with the secret menu thing, having to press the Play/Pause button 12 times or something stupid before the record engine can be enabled!

I also tried Google Live Channels and the Channels app, even paid for a month's subscription to see if it would work better than the other options, I do think the traditional style TV Guide is better, but the Android version of the app is very basic, unlike the AppleTV version which seems to have much better features, it also costs $8 per month for the guide.

So far I've paid $35 for the HDhomerun DVR service which I used for a couple of hours, $8 for a months subscription to the Channels service and $5 for my first month of PlexPass. :s

• HTPC-14HTPC-14 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For anyone having this issue on Windows, I managed to fix mine. There are newer drivers but they are bundled in the WinTV8.5 application just start that install and cancel after it does the driver install (as you don't want to install the application).