Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Nvidia Shield with 7.1, atmos and other HD Audio formats?

KOP007KOP007 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a Samsung KS8000. Along with a Yamaha atmos receiver. I was really shocked to find that I couldn't play atmos files through PLEX, or worse...even 7.1 files. I didn't realise the limitation of the optical cable. Combine this with the Samsung DTS issue, and I've started to look at other options. Which brought me to the Shield.

I have searched the NVIDIA Shield section of these forums but only get conflicting information. I would hope just to get a simple answer...

Q: Using my local home network (with my PC acting as a server), can the NVIDIA Shield TV play atmos, 7.1 and more via plex - when directly connected to my AV Receiver (which supports all those formats) via a HDMI cable? Are there currently any bugs or issues to know about.

Thank you!

Answers

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 132 Plex Pass

Shield TV Pro (2017) --HDMI--> Denon 4300H --HDMI --> Samsung 55F7100 (1080p)

No issues playing any Dolby or DTS formats, 5.1 & 7.1, including TrueHD/Atmos and DTS-HD, -HD MA, :X (anything you would find on a DVD or Blu-ray).

PMS 1.8.0 on Windows 10 and Shield TV Pro.
    Plex 6.4 client on Shield TV Pro.
    Denon configured for 5.1.2.

Note that I'm running Plex Pass versions. However, I had no problems when running what are now the public versions. I've had my Shield TV for about six months. Never had issues bitstreaming audio from a movie ripped from a DVD or Blu-ray disc. I've a couple of downloaded videos with Vorbis audio. Those transcode, but the CPU hit is minimal.

• mshemshe Members, Plex Pass Posts: 235 Plex Pass

Yes, nVidia Shield w/ HDMI supports passthrough audio. TrueHD 7.1, Atmos, and DTS-HD MA all play properly on my nVidia Shield w/ Plex and Kodi.

• mshemshe Members, Plex Pass Posts: 235 Plex Pass

Yes, nVidia Shield w/ HDMI supports passthrough audio. TrueHD 7.1, Atmos, and DTS-HD MA all play properly on my nVidia Shield w/ Plex and Kodi.

• KOP007KOP007 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

Thanks guys,

• thruster999thruster999 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 60 Plex Pass

I experienced the same as you. It wasn't the Shield, it was my receiver.

I adjusted my audio settings and set my renderer to legacy.

I also had to adjust my video setting to chroma output 4:4:4 to be able to setup my Shield settings to 4:4:4. My receiver's default setting was 4:2:2.