Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex showing my songs as random movies

abdullahsebaabdullahseba Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Hi
I have 4 Arabic songs in my library and plex is showing them as movies!!!!!!
How can I stop this? When I open it plays the song not the movie.
Thanks In advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 14,893 Plex Team Member

How are you structuring and naming these?

Can you show an example please? Perhaps Star Trek?

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements | Linux Tips

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• abdullahsebaabdullahseba Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

@ChuckPA said:
    How are you structuring and naming these?

Can you show an example please? Perhaps Star Trek?

I have the example in the screenshot!!! first one in my file explorer second is in plex.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 14,893 Plex Team Member

I am sorry, I will clarify.

I see 4 arabic named files as a screen shot and not as printed text characters.
    I do not see any directory structure to guide diagnosis.

May I have your log files and the text-based names? (Log files are available Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs. Attach the ZIP file it gives you here please)

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements | Linux Tips

@ChuckPA said:
    I am sorry, I will clarify.

I see 4 arabic named files as a screen shot and not as printed text characters.
    I do not see any directory structure to guide diagnosis.

May I have your log files and the text-based names? (Log files are available Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs. Attach the ZIP file it gives you here please)

No Problem :)

File structure is in the top left hand corner C:\Plex

Thank you for the logs, I am starting to understand.

For the 4 files you show in your screen shots, will you please post the names as text so I may translate them with Google translate?

I ask this because, while examining your scanner logs, I see PMS attempting to make matches for things I do not understand.

YES, we are having significant language difficulties :D

This is why I am getting confused. The text from your logs looks like a description and not a formal name. Can you help me please?

Useful links

edited August 9

@ChuckPA said:
    Thank you for the logs, I am starting to understand.

For the 4 files you show in your screen shots, will you please post the names as text so I may translate them with Google translate?

I ask this because, while examining your scanner logs, I see PMS attempting to make matches for things I do not understand.

YES, we are having significant language difficulties :D

This is why I am getting confused. The text from your logs looks like a description and not a formal name. Can you help me please?

XD :D :D :D :D
    Google translate makes it awful :o
    These names are from an older library that I got rid of and currently I have just these four:
    شيلة الفاتنه كلمات عبدالله بن خواش اداء خالد الشليه
    شيلة سلفي اداء المنشدين علي البريكي و خالد الشيله
    شيلة رعد الشمال 2016 كلمات عبدالعزيز عوض العدواني العنزي اداء عبدالله السلما
    شيلة اللي يبي الطولات كلمات بندر برجس الدويش اداء عبدالله البرازي

LOL looks like the translation for these are wrong too.

Any fix for this??

• drinehartdrinehart Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,129 Plex Pass

I suspect the issue is that you probably have mixed media within the same directory. If you have some .mp4 files that are songs, and some that are movies, they will need to be in separate directories and you will need your libraries to use those sub-directories instead of point Plex at c:\Plex and expecting it to separate them itself. @ChuckPA has a link in his signature you should probably refer to:
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

Any fix for this??> @drinehart said:

I suspect the issue is that you probably have mixed media within the same directory. If you have some .mp4 files that are songs, and some that are movies, they will need to be in separate directories and you will need your libraries to use those sub-directories instead of point Plex at c:\Plex and expecting it to separate them itself. @ChuckPA has a link in his signature you should probably refer to:
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

I don't have any movies whats so ever and never did. Those 4 files are the only vids on the whole PC.
    Plus when I open them it plays the correct files.

Videos count. The trigger is the MP4 extension . MP4 files are VIDEO files.. M4A are AUDIO files.

Useful links

@ChuckPA said:
    Videos count. The trigger is the MP4 extension . MP4 files are VIDEO files.. M4A are AUDIO files.

I know... these are .MP4 files. By movies I meant movies not videos.

@abdullahseba said:
    Hi

>

If the 4 songs you have shown above are the four files with .mp4 extension, PMS is deeming these video / movie files.

What is being misunderstood? MP4 = video/movie/tv episode, M4A = audio/song

You say "Arabic songs". PMS understands the concept of "Song" to be a pure audio file (.flac, .mp3, .wav, .alac, .m4a) PMS assumes mp4, mov, mkv are video / movie files.

If they are Music Videos, I suggest you create a "Other videos" section and place them in there. When classified this way, Whatever title and structure you give to your media will show.

Useful links

@ChuckPA said:

@abdullahseba said:
    Hi

>

If the 4 songs you have shown above are the four files with .mp4 extension, PMS is deeming these video / movie files.

What is being misunderstood? MP4 = video/movie/tv episode, M4A = audio/song

You say "Arabic songs". PMS understands the concept of "Song" to be a pure audio file (.flac, .mp3, .wav, .alac, .m4a) PMS assumes mp4, mov, mkv are video / movie files.

If they are Music Videos, I suggest you create a "Other videos" section and place them in there. When classified this way, Whatever title and structure you give to your media will show.

Its just a song. The video is is static as its from YouTube . When I say movie I mean like a film such as Star wars etc.
    Regardless is showing the wrong info completely and that's what I want to fix. These 4 videos (as In file type .MP4) are not the films/movie (as in content type) that Plex says it is. I cannot, with the screenshots explain it more clearly. I dont expect Plex to know they are songs, but I dont expect it to say there are specific films. Why can't it show it like any other player or file explorer, or even YouTube.

@ChuckPA said:

Place these songs in a directory not associated with any movies.
    Then please create a library type of "Other Videos" and point it to the new directory.

When this is done, PMS will no long attempt to associate them as movies.

Thanks took longer than I thought..