Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Samsung app and screen refresh rates

Hi Orca (and everyone), random question. Is there any way I can get my 2013 Samsung TV to display the on screen overlay showing resolution and refresh rate while the plex app is running? This is normally done with the info button, but in the app this brings up the plex overlay instead of the TV one.

I ask because I noticed that the plex media player on my HTPC has an option to force a change in display rate based on content, and when playing back using this the TV displays the correct rate for the sample file (eg it displays the menus at 60p then switches to 24p when playback starts). I'm interested in whether the Samsung plex app forces the same change, as this is preferential for best pq, but can't find any way to confirm it...

Anyone know?

Comments

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,267 Plex Ninja

The app is always in 720P, only when you start a movie it will switch to the resolution of that movie.
    The real resolution depends on your TV set. If it can do 4K, the TV will try to upscale the movie so the full screen is used.
    If you have a 4K movie but only an 1080P TV set, Transcoding will reduce the resolution to 1080p.(based on your quality setting). The refresh rate is different across models too. So if you have a 200Hz model, the TV will try to fit the 24 fps into it a good as it can. It's nothing the app has control over. The more expensive a model is, the better it can handle all the abnormalities. There is no API inside a Samsung that will enable me to get the refresh rate. The resolution for a movie is already shown inside the app.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation