Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How do you get plex to show video on tv thru alexa voice control ?

GKLhomeGKLhome Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Okay, I've had plex and Roku for quite a while and it works great with the roku hand held remote, but I just a few minutes ago activated the plex skill on my amazon echo dot and when I ask it to play a certain video, it will play, but only on my computer instead of appearing on the tv screen thru the Roku like it would if I used the roku hand held remote. Is there another step to do after activating the skill on alexa ? Thanks !

Answers

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,174 Plex Pass

From what I remember I think you have to tell your Echo which Plex app to use and that app must be active before the command is called.
    The command is something like: "Alexa, tell Plex to switch players."
    The app will then list your players and you can choose the one you want to use.

I hope you have better luck than I did with the Plex skill. I finally abandoned using it because it was so unreliable and apparently poorly designed. As example if I had a video paused and I say "Alexa, tell Plex play." The chances are that Plex will jump out of what is playing and play some random video or audio file. I have no such problem with any other app.

"We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming." Wernher von Braun
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children." Ancient Indian Proverb
    "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr
    "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm beginning to believe it." Clarence Darrow
    "Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away." Robert Orben
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
    "Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have."
    "Televangelists: The Pro Wrestlers of religion."
    "I do not want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality by not dying." Woody Allen
    "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." Oscar Wilde

• GKLhomeGKLhome Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

okay, I can't try it right now as we are watching something, but I found this possible solution in another thread and hopefully it will be my solution also -

(quote) What I did was opened Plex on my Roku, logged out and then restarted my Roku. I then logged back into Plex on my Roku and my Echo immediately found my Roku Plex Player (end quote

if that solves it then I'll have found my solution, I probably should have searched the forum more first before adding another question, sorry !

• GKLhomeGKLhome Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

@Elijah_Baley said:
    From what I remember I think you have to tell your Echo which Plex app to use and that app must be active before the command is called.
    The command is something like: "Alexa, tell Plex to switch players."
    The app will then list your players and you can choose the one you want to use.

I hope you have better luck than I did with the Plex skill. I finally abandoned using it because it was so unreliable and apparently poorly designed. As example if I had a video paused and I say "Alexa, tell Plex play." The chances are that Plex will jump out of what is playing and play some random video or audio file. I have no such problem with any other app.

Thanks for the idea Elijah, I'll keep that in mind after I get the echo to recognize my Roku as being in the network, right now it only seems to be seeing my computer, hopefully after I try what I said in my previous reply I'll just need to use your advice to switch from my computer to the Roku. Thanks again !