If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex app for Panasonic Smart Viera Working DNS Method Python 4k and HD

ClosestStormClosestStorm Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've made a python script to redirect lifeshow to Prex I've included instuections in zip please note you need python and lifeshow installed it includes rc start up

Pleaase Note that this us for 4k TV for HD/3D reffer to my other git https://github.com/ClosestStorm/panasonic-plex-dns.git
Video Proof I Can Confirm it works on MaxOS and Synology Nas please test anyone who get it working on another platform let me know

Best Answer

Answers

• harrogukharroguk Posts: 179Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey,

I am interested in this however I run a Windows Server (With Python and apache) Any chance you could assist me with getting this set up on there? It seems that your set up is all for linux.

all-thin-banner.jpg

• ClosestStormClosestStorm Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@harroguk Just need try get it work on bsd doesn’t seem to like it don’t know why works in every other platform

Yeah, I'm not a BSD magician so someone else will have to pick that one up.

all-thin-banner.jpg

• KyaniteKyanite Posts: 1Members

@ClosestStorm & @harroguk It's really great. I will try it on my 49EX600W.

• Phoebus01Phoebus01 Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Thanks for this. I followed Harroguk's instructions but when running dns.conf I get

"Could not start server -- is another program on udp:53?"

Is this normal?

• ClosestStormClosestStorm Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Phoebus01 said:
    Thanks for this. I followed Harroguk's instructions but when running dns.conf I get

"Could not start server -- is another program on udp:53?"

Is this normal?

what system do you have???

Sorry, basic things I should have included.

Plex is on Ubuntu desktop 16.04.
    My TV is Panasonic TX40EX700B 40 inch 4K Ultra HD

It looks like Plex runs on port 53 on my ubuntu.

When changing my DNS server on the Panasonic to my Apache IP (same as my machine IP) I can't connect to the internet on the Panasonic. During an internet test it sees the local network but can't connect to the internet.

I tried running Plex through the Panasonic web browser but get stuck signing in, just keeps spinning around.

Thanks for working on a workaround for this by the way, can't believe Panasonic don't do this. Was sorely tempted to get another TV but this had the best picture quality. We are keeping the box in case we need to return it though.

edited December 2017

Stopping Plex server to test this still gave the same error. I signed in to Plex on the Panasonic web app but the navigation bar won't go away.

EDIT: DNSMASQ not Plex is on port 53

Yeah, Port 53 is the standard port for DNS.

If it cant start up on port 53 its more than likely because you have some other DNS service running on it (I had the same problem with my proxy server that was trying to service proxyd DNS requests).

all-thin-banner.jpg

edited December 2017

I tried disabling DNSMASQ but then my PC couldn't connect to the internet. Did little good anyway as I still couldn't start dns.conf.

I looked at the file and tried 853 and 5353 as well with the same result, any other suggestions?

Okay, steps taken:

• downloaded zip from https://github.com/ClosestStorm/panasonic-plex-dns.git and extracted zip
    • installed Apache2 and checked it is working
    • run install.sh and checked that the files were created in /usr/local/dns
    • updated dns.conf to use my local IP (192.168.0.39)
    • rebooted to make sure it installed
    • gone into my TV and entered Manual for DNS on my connection and selected 192.168.0.39
    • can connect to router but not the internet

That didn't work so I tried adapting harroguk's Windows method and manually ran the files using his Python code

• instead of running install.sh I extracted the files and put into another test directory
    • updated dns.conf
    • run ~/usr/test/fakedns.py -c ~/usr/test/dns.conf
    • get the error message "Could not start server -- is another program on udp:53?"

Finally I changed the port in the test directory from 53 to 49152. I didn't get the error message and 1 rule parsed and Terminal just seems to hang.

There is no simpler way to say it than the error message you are already getting.

YOU ALREADY HAVE SOMETHING RUNNING ON PORT 53

you need to identify what it is, and, if it is not being used, stop it. If it is being used then you need to come up with your own solution as to how to proceed.

Port 53 is almost exclusively used for DNS, so you may already have a DNS server running which is stopping the DNS intercept that fakedns.py manipulates. Your TV REQUIRES to talk to port 53 so fakedns.py MUST be configured to run on it.

all-thin-banner.jpg

For others finding this thread, this is how I got it working. It wasn't that something was running on port 53 (although DNSMASQ did play a part) but I needed admin rights to run the python command. Luckily I had a Pi I could test this on as it too gave the same error at first even with no traffic on 53 until I realised I needed to run the command as admin and that was the problem.

The Pi now runs as the DNS server as it is on more often than the Ubuntu machine:

1. downloaded zip from https://github.com/ClosestStorm/panasonic-plex-dns.git and extracted zip
    2. installed Apache2 and checked it is working
    3. run install.sh and checked that the files were created in /usr/local/dns
    4. updated dns.conf to use my local IP (192.168.0.37, or whatever yours is)
    5. I had pihole installed but as my router can't use a DNS server I uninstalled it - as part of that I uninstalled DNSMASQ when prompted
    6. sudo lsof -i udp:53 to check nothing is running on port 53 (it'll be a blank return if there is nothing)
    7. sudo ~/usr/test/fakedns.py -c ~/usr/test/dns.conf
    8. went into my TV and entered Manual for DNS on my connection and entered 192.168.0.37
    9. it worked! Plex working, and other apps connect to the internet

However, install.sh is meant to make this run at boot - if you look at /etc/rc.local the python command is at the bottom and written there by install.sh so should mean that it will launch with admin privileges at boot. I've not been able to resolve this and have to run it manually, but the Pi is stable and rarely rebooted so will do for now. I'll post back if I find a solution

It may be that I didn't need to do all these steps but I'm leaving it here for others in a similar situation. Obligatory XKCD image.

Okay I had some time and got it running on boot, many thanks to this page on how to create a self-launching Python program on a Pi. Lots of Sudo commands here you may not need them if you run as admin (apart from the sudo in step 3 that you create in launcher.sh).

1. cd /usr/local/dns
    2. sudo nano launcher.sh
    3. enter the following:

#!/bin/sh
    # launcher.sh
    # navigate to home directory, then to this directory, then execute python script, then back home

cd /
    cd /usr/local/dns
    sudo python fakedns.py -c dns.conf
    cd /

1. Crtl-X and Yes to save
    2. make it executable:

sudo chmod 755 launcher.sh
    sudo sh launcher.sh

1. cd
    2. mkdir logs
    3. this will make a logs directory
    4. sudo crontab -e
    5. Enter the line: @reboot sh /usr/local/dns/launcher.sh >/home/pi/logs/cronlog 2>&1
    6. test with Sudo reboot
    7. if that doesn't work go to cd logs
    8. cat cronlog
  • sonik75sonik75 Posts: 1Members

Hey, I have a basic knowledge of IT and am very interested in getting this working on my Panasonic 4k 65in TV. I have a windows 10 PC. I have experience with python and programming but have no clue what you guys are talking about. Could i please get a guide on how to do this, it would be much-appretiated thx.

@sonik75 said:
    Hey, I have a basic knowledge of IT and am very interested in getting this working on my Panasonic 4k 65in TV. I have a windows 10 PC. I have experience with python and programming but have no clue what you guys are talking about. Could i please get a guide on how to do this, it would be much-appretiated thx.

Pretty much says it all here...
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1512930/#Comment_1512930

all-thin-banner.jpg

• MikeinMadtownMikeinMadtown Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Any chance this procedure can be dummied down even further? I have a TC-P60ST60 plasma that I would like to get PLEX running on. My computer is running Windows 10. ZERO programming experience! However, I am willing to try. Downloaded Apache24 and Python, but have no clue HOW to use them as outlined above.

HELP!

Thanks!

As described above:

1. Edit dns.conf to include the ip address of your web server. How does one find this file and make edits? How do I find my IP address of my web server? I assume this would be my Apache web server?
    2. Run fakedns.py pointing to the config file (probably want to automate this so it always runs)...
      python I:\scripts\Python\fakedns.py -c I:\scripts\Python\dns.conf Is this script used in Python exactly as written? Will it run if my computer reboots?
    3. Place the following files in the root of your webserver... The root directory of my Apache web server, i.e., B:\Apache24?
      Main.js
      Main.html
      Init.json
    4. Configure your TV's Network connection so that it uses the server running fakedns.py for DNS How?
      Download the Liveshow Player on your TV. Done
      Start Liveshow Player on your TV, it should be redirected to Plex.

Thanks!

Another Question:

Run fakedns.py pointing to the config file (probably want to automate this so it always runs)...
    python I:\scripts\Python\fakedns.py -c I:\scripts\Python\dns.conf Where do I get FakeDNS.py?