If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

HDR showing incorrect brightness/contrast levels on recent builds

GhostmGhostm Posts: 243Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was on 1.3.4 and then moved to 2.0.7 and originally hdr titles appeared as they should, to dark unless you have windows 10 hdr mode turned on.

Now they appear like they are trying to be normal brightness and contrast levels even when hdr is turned off.

I am concerned @vlang has not been around here in awhile as I have posted two serious playback issues.

I have attached a picture of the unfortunate side effect of this new hdr implementation. I suspect some sort of hdr to sdr mapping was changed, but in dark scenes it has serious consequences.

Picture is attached.

Answers

• GhostmGhostm Posts: 243Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You may have to turn up your monitor brightness to see it, but in dark scenes you see noise and smearing.

I guess the correct term for this would be very bad macroblocking.

SDR blu ray content is fine yet, but hdr files on recent builds is now very bright and i assume contributing to the very bad macroblocking.

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If video is shown with stronger contrast, then you'll see compression artifacts better (even if they are normally close to invisible).

Do you use any specific configuration options?

HDR handling was changed again (and I think the tone mapping algorithm too), so I've put a new test build here:

https://nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/plexmediaplayer/public-testing/2.0.7.691-7aa127f0/

Could you try it? A playback log would be great too.

I am concerned @vlang has not been around here in awhile as I have posted two serious playback issues.

Sorry, vacation, and then post-vacation catching up.

edited August 20

@vlang

Tried the new builld, same issue.

It worked as it should with build 1.3.4. It was to dark when played without hdr mode on my tv, now it seems blown out contrast wise creating artifacts.

I attached a log.

The way HDR is converted was changed. There are various mpv.conf options which influence this, starting with the tone mapping algorithm:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-tone-mapping

Since none of us developers even possesses a HDR displays, and most available HDR material are demos (some of them broken), and HDR in general being chaotic and not many people understanding it correctly, it's hard to arrive at something that makes everyone happy.

@vlang said:
    The way HDR is converted was changed. There are various mpv.conf options which influence this, starting with the tone mapping algorithm:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-tone-mapping

Since none of us developers even possesses a HDR displays, and most available HDR material are demos (some of them broken), and HDR in general being chaotic and not many people understanding it correctly, it's hard to arrive at something that makes everyone happy.

Do you know i could get it back to the way it was in 1.3.4 with settings in the mpv.conf? That to me looked as it should. IT just doesnt seem proper in its current form.

What mpv version did 1.3.4 use? (The PMP log would show this.)

• ced0072ced0072 Posts: 61Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Happy to find this thread.
    I thought I was going crazy ;)
    HDR files are now more bright than before without enabling the Windows 10 HDR mode! And so HDR mode is not working properly.
    I am going to try to play a little bit with the tone-mapping option i to see if I can improve things.

Windows 10 64bits
    Core i7 4770K, 16G RAM, Asus GTX1060
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

edited August 24

@vlang said:
    What mpv version did 1.3.4 use? (The PMP log would show this.)

Hmm not sure if there is anyway for me to roll back to that version without a full uninstall, i could try on my desktop and report back today or tomorrow though with a log.

Essentially you had things right before imo.

edited August 24

Not sure where to get the final 1.3.4 release build though.

Found a version on my pc that says may 24th 1.3.1 i believe and this displayed hdr properly. You will have to ignore the 1.3.5 reference removing old package at the beginning when i uninstalled it i didnt reboot my pc.

I dont know if this helps.

2017-08-23 21:13:57 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 505 - cplayer: mpv git-c0caea6 (C) 2000-2017 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
    2017-08-23 21:13:57 [ DEBUG ] PlayerComponent.cpp @ 505 - cplayer: built on Wed Apr 19 20:42:32 PDT 2017

Attached is a log.

Yes, that was what I was looking for. That version is pretty old, and was before all the recent changes. Be sure to try tone-mapping=hable in mpv.conf with the new build - that was apparently the old default. Also, I'm assuming this is with HDR mode is off on your TV and in the Windows settings. It would be helpful to post a playback log with this as well - then I can check whether anything is amiss.

@vlang

The log does have a little bit of playback with no hdr mode enabled on the tv or computer if thats what you were looking for, i can get a longer log if you need. I assume when you say playback a log thats all you mean.

It does look like that setting helped the blown out contrast, i just looked quick but I think im still seeing those odd macroblocking artificats though, i am going to try on my desktop though and see if i notice them with the old version and then perhaps try the new version on the desktop as well to rule out a display issue.

edited August 25

Will run more tests but the old version on my desktop does not display the weird smearing/blocking in dark scenes like the new version, even with tone-mapping=hable in mpv.

Will try 2.0.7 on my desktop tomorrow as well to rule out any variances but I think its the new version causing these weird artificats with hdr titles.

Also try with hardware decoding disabled, just in case.

@vlang said:
    Also try with hardware decoding disabled, just in case.

I did try with hardware decoding disabled same issue.

However on my desktop running windows 10 I dont have the issue that i can see, so now i am stumped, and i am also thinking back perhaps this issue existed on older builds to i just didnt watch enough hdr content.

The difference between my desktop is windows 10 and intel, and my htpc is windows 7 and amd rx 460 but with hardware decoding disabled it also appears but i have an a10 amd apu as well.

Not sure how to proceed, i should probably uninstall and try an older version and perhaps try a different player as well. I have hdr retail movies like the revenant i can play on my xbox one so i cant imagine its a tv issue either.

edited August 27

So its definitely happening on older builds to, not sure what this points to or how we could diagnose it if it is a windows 7 issue or something else.

Not sure why I cant see it on my desktop running intel and windows 10 but with hdr titles the artifiacts are unbearable in dark scenes with the smearing and such on my windows htpc.

I tried on the problematic htpc with kodi and plex addon, it was choppy and the brightness/contrast levels were totally out of wack for some reason so I dont know if that affected anything, but i did not see the artifacts on the same scene using kodi on the windows 7 machine.

So just to update this thread and I mentioned this elsewhere I did try this out with windows 10 and using windows built in media player whatever they are calling it these days.

Windows 10 media player does play hdr files in hdr mode and hdr files in sdr mode both fine without any issue.

PMP i cant get hdr to display quite right these artifacts/macroblocking? Not sure what to call it is the main issue. Not sure why I am seeing this on an AMD rx 460 in PMP but not in windows player.

Basically any bright or dark scenes show massive macroblocking or digital noise whatever it should be called such as my picture in the first post. I have played around with the settings recommended in another thread to get hdr files working but no luck.

PMP playing an hdr file in Standard definition color and without windows 10 hdr mode enabled actually does a really good job even compared to windows media player in standard color, but i still get the macroblocking artifacts, if i could get rid of those i would still at least get the resolution increase from 4k and again in general pmp does a good job playing hdr files back outside of windows 10 hdr mode. The macroblocking does get worse in hdr mode though and we have a few additional issues such as the picture looking washed out.

I wonder if its a target brightness issue i should set in mpv.conf maybe its to bright? Or if vlang has any ideas. I do have it outputting ycbcr 4:4:4 at 10 bits @ 24hz. This occurs in angle or non angle and with hardware decoding off or on last i checked.The artifacts do not appear in windows media player though.

The banding could come from outputting at 8 bit, for which PMP (and its dependencies) are mostly hardcoded. That is one thing that needs to be solved. I'm mostly guessing, though.

• WarmongerxWarmongerx Posts: 199Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:
    The banding could come from outputting at 8 bit, for which PMP (and its dependencies) are mostly hardcoded. That is one thing that needs to be solved. I'm mostly guessing, though.

and how do you go about doing that?

i7-980, 12GB RAM, Windows 7 x 64, 33TB Plex Media Server in Coolermaster HAF 945 Stacker
    HTPC - Core i5, 8GB RAM, GTX 1050 Ti, SSD
    Denon X6200W Receiver
    Sony 75" XBR75X940D TV
    7.2 Definitive Technology and SVS Subwoofers