Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Access Plex from outside via app

stokbaekstokbaek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Hello,

I have a plex setup that involves a HAProxy that forwards requests to the plex server (and other services on my network) and everything works fine as long as you use a browser.
When you try and use the app from outside can it not connect unless you activate the remote access on the server. I do not like having this on though.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

Answers

• mdnitoilmdnitoil Members, Plex Pass Posts: 358 Plex Pass

Haven't figured it out. I've got remote access turned on and 32400 redirected and open on the firewall.

• stokbaekstokbaek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

I have all that too, but I dont want to go over plex.tv. If anyone gets their hands on their database will my custom port sudden be known.

• mdnitoilmdnitoil Members, Plex Pass Posts: 358 Plex Pass

Frankly, I couldn't say. Not for nothing, but if anyone port scans you (and it happens all the time), "they" know anyway.

• stokbaekstokbaek Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

A port scan is normally done on a known service. If I use a port in the free range with no relation to plex is the detection of plex very slim.

• sabbathlivessabbathlives Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1

@stokbaek said:
    If I use a port in the free range with no relation to plex is the detection of plex very slim.

The problem is once you scan and see the open ports then you can open them in a webpage and the Plex sign in will show up. Will it stop some script kiddies and have I done it? Yes! will it stop someone that has targeted you? no!

Your best security is to make sure you are on top of updating your software. Patch your crap!