Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Hangs during playback of DVR recordings on Apple TV 4-Plays fine with VLC

WillParWillPar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Like others, I get hangs during playback of my DVR content on AppleTV4. I also get the message that my server is not powerful enough. Task Manager shows CPU usage of 80-90+ due to transcoding during playback. Finally I decided to download the Apple TV video player app VLC. VLC will link to my Plex library and play the same content. Recordings that snag/hang in Plex play perfectly fine in VLC. Also when playing in VLC Task Manager shows little or no increase in CPU usage with usage staying below 10-15%.

So, why will VLC play the same Plex recording with little CPU usage as opposed to playing the same content in Plex with high CPU usage??? I don't want to have to resort to playing my all Plex DVR recordings with VLC. I've tried to adjust every imaginable setting in Plex, Apple TV and windows 10 without any progress. Please advise. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• WillParWillPar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Thanks mschlotz. I had waded through several other threads on this problem but hadn't found that thread yet. It's extremely discouraging to learn that Plex has been aware of the problem for such a long time without providing a solution. I became a Plex Pass customer for the DVR capability. I like the Plex interface otherwise, but playback is worthless as is. (Live TV is pretty clunky as well compared to Channels). I'll quit searching for a solution and just use VLC to play my recordings. Apple TV will always be my choice for streaming media, so Plex best get on board soon. Otherwise they will lose me as a Plex Pass customer. I know of several other DVR solutions and it looks like I need to start searching for another media server solution as well. At least I now won't have to waste any more of my time trying to fix this problem.