Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Live TV - HD Homerun / CableCard

jpstephensjpstephens Members Posts: 3

Good Evening,

I recently signed a lease for an office space where I plan on mounting a TV with an Apple TV. I only paid for Internet service for my office and not a TV package. I plan on trying to find a way to add live TV to the Apple TV if possible.

At my house (a few miles away from my office), I have a Verizon FiOS cable package. I was wondering if it was possible to use Plex Live TV and an HD Home Run with a Cable Card to stream the Live TV from my house to my office. If I understand correctly, I can order a cable card, install the HD HomeRun, install the cable card and then stream to my Plex setup in my office Is this correct?

If so, what equipment would I need and what would the setup look like?

Answers

• darciliciousdarcilicious Members, Plex Pass Posts: 586 Plex Pass

@jpstephens said:
    If so, what equipment would I need and what would the setup look like?

You've already outlined the equipment you need:

order a cable card, install the HD HomeRun, install the cable card and then stream to my Plex setup in my office

And you would pretty much set it up like you described. This assumes you already have a Plex server up and running at your home residence and that you can add the DVR tuner, set up recordings using the web or other client.

At your office, you install the Plex client on your Apple TV, sign in with your Plex account, select your Plex server and you should be good to go.

If you have questions/issues about the DVR set-up, you should post them in the DVR section: http://forums.plex.tv/categories/dvr-live-tv

Additional questions specific to the Apple TV can be posted here.

• jpstephensjpstephens Members Posts: 3

If I plan taking my iMac to my office, and all I have in the house are laptops....how do I get an always on Plex Server running?

What is the most cost effective way to do so?

• rsavarsava Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,687 Plex Pass

Mac Mini - quiet, small, low power usage when idle.

R Sava

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Members Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

It really depends on your needs - Especially transcoding.
    Rasberry Pi or Mac Mini.

• rsavarsava Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,687 Plex Pass

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:
    It really depends on your needs - Especially transcoding.

Very good point ^^^^^^^^

Rasberry Pi or Mac Mini.

Raspberry Pi is a good choice (I love mine) but he is using an ATV so ... most everything Live will need to be transcoded.

R Sava

• jpstephensjpstephens Members Posts: 3

So can you outline what an ideal Mac Mini Plex setup would look like?

Here is my requirements:
    1. Ability to stream movies to an Apple TV in the house
    2. Work to function with Plex Live TV and my HD Home Run Cable Card to my office
    3. Store Photos / Video

I am new to this, so I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get started.