If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Error 503 returned on version 1.8.0 and 1.8.1

SystemSystem Posts: 241 Plex Employee
This discussion was created from comments split from: Server that has been working for years keeps crashing - win 7 x64.

Comments

• anhtuan99anhtuan99 Posts: 45Members ✭✭

I got this error again on 1.8.0 (Linux Ubuntu). It occurred again once I enabled Sync and transcoding was occurring. Wasn't able to capture the log because I had to restart the plexmediaserver urgently. I didn't get to save the log then and looks like that timeframe has already been overwritten. I'll try to capture it again next time.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,173Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited August 6

@anhtuan99 said:
    I got this error again on 1.8.0 (Linux Ubuntu). It occurred again once I enabled Sync and transcoding was occurring. Wasn't able to capture the log because I had to restart the plexmediaserver urgently. I didn't get to save the log then and looks like that timeframe has already been overwritten. I'll try to capture it again next time.

For the deadlocks and eventual error 503 there are various bit of diagnostics needed

• debug logging to be enabled in advance on the server
    • server token to be found and saved for use later when problem arises
    • When the problem arises, open browser and get the output from http://127.0.0.1:32400/connections?X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • Capture the server logs (copy out the logs directory)
    • force a process dump (different actions for different platforms)
    • Attach output from /connections request and zipped logs and upload zipped crash dump to dropbox or google drive and send link to me by private message. If dmp is automatically uploaded - eg on Linux then get zip of all the Plex Crash Uploader logs after the restart later

These steps are mentioned in earlier posts

Forcing a process dump

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• grappergrapper Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 10

Well... I got two crashes again. :smile: 503 and plex wouldn't close unless through task manager. I got a log straight after the last crash and its attached here. I am plexpass user and have the latest server version 1.8.0.4109. Thanks for looking at it!

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,173Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited August 10

@grapper said:
    Well... I got two crashes again. :smile: 503 and plex wouldn't close unless through task manager. I got a log straight after the last crash and its attached here. I am plexpass user and have the latest server version 1.8.0.4109. Thanks for looking at it!

Error 503 occurs some time after a deadlock - a deadlock is when one thread in Plex Media Server process locks out others. Eventually requests stack up to a level that response codes 503 start to get returned

A cause for such a problem has already been fixed in dash transcoding in version 1.8.0. There must be another bug leading to this.

I am going to split this into a new forum topic and outline what diagnostics are needed to help isolate the cause

It would be similar diagnostics to what was done for the previous deadlock / error 503 issue outlined here
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1492135/#Comment_1492135

Please have a look at the linked post and try to get these diagnostics at the next lockout

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• grappergrapper Posts: 87Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks, will do! Where do you want me to post it? In this or another thread? Thanks again

This is the new thread for deadlocks in 1.8.0.4109

For the process dump upload zip externally and send me link by private message
    The rest can be uploaded here (output of /connections and the logs zip)

Finally got another 503 deadlock on 1.8.0 (linux ubuntu). I've attached the log here. Also triggered a process dump.

• phenianphenian Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anybody has any old version of plex without this problem? It is extremely annoying.
    If you do please upload it somewhere

@anhtuan99 said:
    Finally got another 503 deadlock on 1.8.0 (linux ubuntu). I've attached the log here. Also triggered a process dump.

Thank you - i will look for the crash report and logs.
    After you restarted the server, i expect a Plex Crash Uploader.log to be produced for uploading the dump you invoked. Could you look for all the crash uploading logs and zip and attach

I also need to know if there were any external factors - eg manually run command line scanner jobs at the time?
    The logs for scanner command line processes may go to different directory

I am going to move the posts relating to 1.8.0 to a new thread i started for 1.8.0

@sa2000 said:
    I am going to move the posts relating to 1.8.0 to a new thread i started for 1.8.0

It does not let me !
    So will have to stay here.
    The other thread is https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/282840/error-503-returned-on-version-1-8-0

• SystemSystem Posts: 241 Plex Employee
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 503 Service Unavailable.

@anhtuan99 - i split the 1.8.0 posts in this topic (will see if i can merge with the other 1.8.0 deadlock/error 503 thread)

Please see my post above - i need the crash uploader log to see the upload GUID

@grapper @anhtuan99 in case the links to these threads changed - i got the 1.8.0 posts split and then merged into this consolidated thread

@sa2000 said:
    @anhtuan99 - i split the 1.8.0 posts in this topic (will see if i can merge with the other 1.8.0 deadlock/error 503 thread)

Please see my post above - i need the crash uploader log to see the upload GUID

PM'ed you with the Crash Uploader log.

edited August 13

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

After you restarted the server, i expect a Plex Crash Uploader.log to be produced for uploading the dump you invoked. Could you look for all the crash uploading logs and zip and attach

I also need to know if there were any external factors - eg manually run command line scanner jobs at the time?

I wasn't using any manual scan. I just have a scheduled library scan every 1hr. I also have Sync disable for all users.

And don't know if this makes a difference but I use nginx as a reverse proxy to the Plex Server.

@anhtuan99 said:

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

I wasn't using any manual scan. I just have a scheduled library scan every 1hr. I also have Sync disable for all users.

And don't know if this makes a difference but I use nginx as a reverse proxy to the Plex Server.

Thanks. The reverse proxy i don't think is a factor - but i will mention it. We would be treating them differently as we identify the real IP Address the requests are forwarded on behalf of, I am guessing that lines like this in logs is to do with the nginx Proxy DEBUG - Using X-Forwarded-For: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as remote address

I have not been able to find the ;rocessed crash dmp - so i am afraid we need another go at getting the diagnostics. I have sent you a message on this

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

@sa2000 said:

@anhtuan99 said:

Thanks. The reverse proxy i don't think is a factor - but i will mention it. We would be treating them differently as we identify the real IP Address the requests are forwarded on behalf of, I am guessing that lines like this in logs is to do with the nginx Proxy DEBUG - Using X-Forwarded-For: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as remote address

I have not been able to find the ;rocessed crash dmp - so i am afraid we need another go at getting the diagnostics. I have sent you a message on this

Will try to get the data again. The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is just my IP, I'm trying to hide it for privacy reasons. I can PM you my original log.

Asking again : any of you have a precedent release without this bug ??

@grapper said:
    Thanks, will do! Where do you want me to post it? In this or another thread? Thanks again

Hi - have you had the deadlock and error 503s again ? Would love to get a process dump and /connections and logs from a windows system -

Asking again : any of you have a precedent release without this bug ??
    Updated to version Version 1.8.1.4139 and seems to crush more often....