If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No sound on Roku Premiere+ unless Roku restarted

jamiewardjamieward Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Recently, after I turn on my entertainment system, launch Plex and start playing a video, the video will play, but there is no sound. I must restart my Roku and the sound then returns with no problems. There is sound effects like scrolling sounds and the background show music bed, but when a show is played there is no audio unless the Roku is rebooted.

I don't have issues with any other app. Just Plex. There are no updates available for my Roku. It is up to date.

I'm running Plex Media Server on a Windows 10 box. Version 1.8.0.4109.

Tagged:

Answers

• steveh11284steveh11284 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think it's the Roku. I have the same issue on Vudu for movies that have Dolby Digital Plus audio as well. I have to reboot in order for that and Plex to play correctly. Or I have to change my sound settings to Stereo.

• interconnectinterconnect Posts: 196Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • BillyPrefectBillyPrefect Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Part of this group as well. The movie in question shows this under INFO
    The movie is supposed to have commentary audio in stereo, 5.1 audio for normal, and then

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 1:27:42
    Bitrate 3293 kbps
    Width 1920
    Height 1088
    Aspect Ratio 1.78
    Container MKV
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    Audio Profile dts
    Video Profile high

Part

Duration 1:27:42
    File (some file name for the media).mkv
    Size 2.02 GB
    Audio Profile dts
    Container MKV
    Video Profile high

Codec H264
    Bitrate 3069 kbps
    Bit Depth 8
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Range tv
    Color Space bt709
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Height 1088
    Level 4.1
    Profile high
    Ref Frames 4
    Scan Type progressive
    Width 1920

Codec AAC
    Channels Stereo
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout stereo
    Profile lc
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Title Stereo

Codec AC3
    Channels 5.1
    Bitrate 224 kbps
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Title Surround

Plex Media Server Plex-Pass.

• hereisoblivionhereisoblivion Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here.
    I have a new 2017 Vizio and a new Yamaha sound bar.
    The roku menus audio and all other apps work fine.
    Plex has no audio after a short distorted sound at the start of any video.
    Rebooting the roku fixes it.
    I have to reboot 3 times per day.
    It seems most consistent when playing a video that was recently watched.

No problems on any other device in my home (Android, Windows, web based, etc.)

So is there a bug posting that can be placed somewhere ?

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,782Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

Are you using the latest version of the Plex Pass version of the Plex app for Roku (It has a orange banner in the upper right hand corner that says Preview)?

There was a fix for "No audio during video playback containing a 7.1 channel audio stream (Roku Ultra)" and that may also address the issues you are having. And it appears that the Roku store has still not updated the official channel with these updated yet.

See https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1433874/#Comment_1433874 and https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1424192/#Comment_1424192

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

I am. Double checked myself last night when I checked on power cycling being a fix.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,782Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@BillyPrefect said:
    I am. Double checked myself last night when I checked on power cycling being a fix.

Does this only occur when playing the media on the Plex app for Roku or does it occur on other Plex player apps? (If you do not have another Plex device, you can use the Plex Web from the browser on any computer, tablet of phone.)

Is the video transcoding? If so, does changing the Transcode Format under the Plex app for Roku Settings > Video > Transcode Format make any difference?

Attaching the Roku log would also help along with information about your Plex setup like PMS operating system and version. And your Roku audio settings.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First

via Email
    Only the Plex app on Roku. I checked on my iPhone, iPad, MacBook app, and web browser versions. They all play audio.

I don’t recall right off hand if it was transcoding video or direct streaming video. I will have to get back to you on that tomorrow.

Where do I get Roku logs. I will grab those as well when checking on the video transcoding.

Also, thank you for your time with this, it is very appreciated !

• rfischer1984rfischer1984 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 16

I have the same issue. I have a Yamaha AVR and I noticed someone had a yamaha sound bar. I wonder if it is connected. My AVR will show decoder off because no sound is being sent to the receiver. I can restart the roku but that gets annoying. we usually have to do it ever other day.
    I want to add that it works fine with the firetv and never had issue with the apple tv. I just didnt like the apple tv and that is why im using my roku. I am about tempted to switch back to the firetv, but that is not a solution thats a work around.

Plex Media Server:OpenMediaVault 3, Intel i7 920 3.6 ghz, 8 GB Ram

Storage:8 TB Hitachi

Clients: FireTV 2, Roku Premier+,  Roku 3, AppleTV 4, Huawei Mate 9, IPad, and Web. 

I’m connected to a Marantz

• rfischer1984rfischer1984 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 16

@BillyPrefect said:
    I’m connected to a Marantz

I think it is some type of HDMI issue. I wished i had the Roku Ultra now so i could try the optical port and see if sound still acts up. It only does it with surround sound. It could also just be the fact that the roku audio is passed through but still doesnt explain why i never have issues with netflix, or HBONOW and so on.

Plex Media Server:OpenMediaVault 3, Intel i7 920 3.6 ghz, 8 GB Ram

Storage:8 TB Hitachi

Clients: FireTV 2, Roku Premier+,  Roku 3, AppleTV 4, Huawei Mate 9, IPad, and Web. 

As for Roku log, see https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201377603-Roku-Logs (FYI I made the words Roku log a link to those instructions.)

@rfischer1984 said:

I think it is some type of HDMI issue. I wished i had the Roku Ultra now so i could try the optical port and see if sound still acts up. It only does it with surround sound. It could also just be the fact that the roku audio is passed through but still doesnt explain why i never have issues with netflix, or HBONOW and so on.

I did a Google search and did see that some were able to address sound issues on the Roku with unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in or changing HDMI inputs and then returning to that HDMI port. So it could be a HDMI issue that is specific to the Roku. EX https://nhlifefree.com/2015/03/01/roku-3-easily-fixing-the-no-sound-problem-with-hdmi-connection/

See Log Files

• jamestomaslongjamestomaslong Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can confirm this problem exists for me using both the standard Plex app and the Plex Pass Preview app on a Roku Premiere+. All latest versions of the app and servers installed. Doesn't matter if I play something off my PC server or Synology server, audio playback doesn't start with the videos I choose. There is a very brief static noise and then no sound. A restart of the Roku fixes this but has to be done regularly when watching Plex content. HDMI cable changes and adjustments don't make a difference for me.

There was something in the Roku forums where users said something about the 4K video settings on the newer Rokus causing an issue with sound. Sorry I do not have one, but you may want to do a search in the Roku forum. Example post - https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96826&hilit=sound+hdr

See Log Files

• jamestomaslongjamestomaslong Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for that but I don't have a 4k display or hdr on my TV and the settings are set for 1080p. The sound issue only occurs on video playback in the Plex app (both Plex preview and normal Plex app). The menu movements and sounds across the Roku, as well as sound from all other apps and sources is fine. It's just the sound on playback of any video in Plex. The only fix is a restart if Roku

I figured I would mention it, just in case.

And also understand that, because the Roku channel for Plex accesses a much wider variety of media from a much wider variety of sources than other Roku channels, sometimes you will only see issues in the Plex channel on the Roku, even if it is related to the Roku firmware.

For example, many users having the reboot error with the latest Roku firmware are only seeing that issue in the Plex channel. But rolling back the Roku firmware fixes the issue.

That is why it can be so difficult to isolate the cause of playback issues.

See Log Files

Since it is not affecting all users, and everyone's Plex setup is different, it can be difficult for others to recreate this sound issue and diagnose the cause. So, the best thing to do is post as much data as possible about your specific setup, system and media.

You should first review the Read First: Posting Media Playback Issues on Roku thread pinned to the top of the Plex App for Roku forum. That thread provides instructions for determining if your media playback issue is a Plex app for Roku issue, as well as the information to include in your posts to ensure others can help you resolve the issue.

Providing the answers and data listed in the "Include Information About Your Setup, Media and Issue" section of that thread is the best way for someone to isolate the cause of your issue.

See Log Files

• LilMiss_N_DemonLilMiss_N_Demon Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jamestomaslong i had same problem with premiere the only workaround ive found is set roku audio to stereo...that fixed my issue for now at least

• PsuhammerPsuhammer Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for a user with Roku Premiere+, Ethernet connection and random sound issues with the app. Exactly as described above, there are times when I start a movie and the audio is gone. The menu sounds are there. Other apps like HBO and Netflix are fine. The only resolve I have found is to power cycle the Roku.