Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Question on NAS and using Shield TV Pro

jsc1205jsc1205 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

I'm fairly new to Plex and starting to rip all my bluray and UHD 4K discs and looking into getting a NAS. Wanted to ask which way to to based on how I will be using Plex and the NAS. The Shield TV Pro is in our dedicated home theater room and our boys want to watch the movies on their ipad/iphone/kindle fire devices. I have the Shield TV Pro set as the server. We are not going to be watching anything remotely away from the house.
Question is do I really need to get a NAS with Plex installed on it? Or can I just get away with getting a NAS just for the storage capability?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Answers

• spikemixturespikemixture Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,128 Plex Pass
    edited August 12

NO
    All u need is any ole NAS on your network
    or DAS plugged into the Shield.

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 16GB and Pro + lotsa clients
    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• jsc1205jsc1205 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@spikemixture said:
    NO
    All u need is any ole NAS on your network
    or DAS plugged into the Shield.

Thanks for your input! I'm looking at either the Synology DiskStation DS1817+ or something from QNAP

I have the 1815+ and just bought the 1817+

They are virtually the same and for what u plan get the older 1815+ and save a few hundred dollars to put into bigger hard drives!

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 16GB and Pro + lotsa clients

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• jsc1205jsc1205 Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

@spikemixture said:

They are virtually the same and for what u plan get the older 1815+ and save a few hundred dollars to put into bigger hard drives!

So are you using the 1817+ with a Shield TV? Thinking of going this route and wanted to know how it would perform. Since I can use my Shield TV Pro as a server and just use the 1817+ as a storage device for my MKV files.

@jsc1205 said:

@spikemixture said:

So are you using the 1817+ with a Shield TV? Thinking of going this route and wanted to know how it would perform. Since I can use my Shield TV Pro as a server and just use the 1817+ as a storage device for my MKV files.

I use a NUC Skull as my #1 server and The Shield Pro as my #2 server and yes both use the 1817+ as storage.

I have a couple of years of watched shows and Plex on Shield has no way for me to move my DB from the Win10 NUC to the Shield!!
    So until I can do that my Shield pro will not be my main PMS

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 132 Plex Pass

@jsc1205
    I'm using a Shield Pro 2017 as PMS server & client and a Synology DS414 for storage and it works great. No problems playing DVD/Blu-ray rips made with MakeMKV. No problems playing MP4/M4V files originally in my iTunes library (DVD/Blu-ray rips processed with Handbrake before I started using Plex).

I'm using Plex just for movies. No music, DVR, photos, remote access, etc. The highest bitrate files I have are 40 - 42 Mbps Blu-ray rips (1080p, I've no 4K media). Everything is connected via wired gigabit Ethernet.

Given that a DS414 can serve up files at 1 Gbps via SMB, you should have no problem using a 1815+/1817+/etc for the same purposes.