If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Android TV (Shield) v6.3.2.1332 breaks 4K playback completely

AnnieTheEagleAnnieTheEagle Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

It seems that the latest version of the Plex App available for Android TVs (particularly the Shield TV 2017 -- which is the box I have) breaks 4K playback (and removes various useful options like being able to force direct play).

If you uninstall all updates and use the built in version available on the Shield TV then everything works fine again. I was trying to play 4K file and they would say things like:

"Transcode Reason: Bitrate or resolution exceeds the maximum allowed", even if you have the settings set to Maximum (for both local and remote).

Anyone else have this experience?

Comments

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

6.3.4 is the most current version of Plex for Android TV. Have you tried that one? Also, have you searched the forums for 4k playback issues? I only ask because I know I've read threads about this issue.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• khisayruoukhisayruou Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Its a known issue. Stay downgraded until the fix is pushed out of beta.

• azgulazgul Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Had the same issue last night. 4K HECV in mkv container with TrueHD Atmos 7.1 would get transcoded on latest version of the app. On 5.6.1.505 it works fine.

• fecaleaglefecaleagle Posts: 115Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is addressed in the latest two betas. It should be addressed in the next public update.