If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sync getting stuck at 50%

SystemSystem Posts: 224 Plex Employee

Comments

• ataribabyataribaby Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I restarted a couple of times, and suddenly Plex is playable again in realtime, and so no more transcoder failed messages. But still won't sync. Always stops at 50%. Looking at the Transcoder directory, there's a folder in there, and inside it continues to add "chunks" every few seconds, but the syncs always stay stuck at 50%

I hope this helps

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,835Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@ataribaby said:
    So I restarted a couple of times, and suddenly Plex is playable again in realtime, and so no more transcoder failed messages. But still won't sync. Always stops at 50%. Looking at the Transcoder directory, there's a folder in there, and inside it continues to add "chunks" every few seconds, but the syncs always stay stuck at 50%

Thank you for the logs and screenshots

I have actually come across case where it says it is waiting for server but if you do not touch and the connection to the server remains available, the sync would actually complete and download within 20 minutes or so

The screenshots were taken at 20:13
    But at 20:13 the server actually just finished the transcode and got to a point where the Plex for iOS can when next interrogating plex.tv and the server can start the download - which would not be instantaneous

Server log entries

Aug 04, 2017 20:13:29.979 [40908] DEBUG - Sync: processed item 6924 for sync list 17667298, sync item 20918216: success/good
    Aug 04, 2017 20:13:29.979 [40908] DEBUG - BPQ: generator 148 changed state: pending -> complete

Aug 04, 2017 20:13:29.980 [40908] DEBUG - Sync: sync list 17667298, sync item 20918216 changed state from pending to complete

Aug 04, 2017 20:13:29.980 [40908] DEBUG - Sync: sync list 17667298, sync item 20918216: complete/good with 1/1/1/213062239/1/0 item(s)

Aug 04, 2017 20:13:29.980 [38676] DEBUG - HTTP requesting PUT https://plex.tv/devices/A1B54F2F-8DA7-40C4-BE30-B63608C9E6B5/sync_items/20918216/status?auth_token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&itemsCompleteCount=1&itemsCount=1&itemsDownloadedCount=0&itemsReadyCount=1&itemsSuccessfulCount=1&state=complete&totalSize=213062239

Aug 04, 2017 20:13:29.980 [38836] DEBUG - HTTP requesting POST https://plex.tv/devices/A1B54F2F-8DA7-40C4-BE30-B63608C9E6B5/notifications?Notification[collapseKey]=syncItemCompleted&Notification[data]=action%3DsyncItemCompleted%26syncItemID%3D20918216%26syncListID%3D17667298&X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Aug 04, 2017 20:13:30.759 [38676] DEBUG - HTTP 200 response from PUT https://plex.tv/devices/A1B54F2F-8DA7-40C4-BE30-B63608C9E6B5/sync_items/20918216/status?auth_token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&itemsCompleteCount=1&itemsCount=1&itemsDownloadedCount=0&itemsReadyCount=1&itemsSuccessfulCount=1&state=complete&totalSize=213062239

Aug 04, 2017 20:13:30.930 [38836] DEBUG - HTTP 200 response from POST https://plex.tv/devices/A1B54F2F-8DA7-40C4-BE30-B63608C9E6B5/notifications?Notification[collapseKey]=syncItemCompleted&Notification[data]=action%3DsyncItemCompleted%26syncItemID%3D20918216%26syncListID%3D17667298&X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So at 20:13:30 Plex Media Server notified plex.tv that this sync is complete and ready

Now need to wait for the Plex for iOS to detect that and start the download

Did the sync complete after 20:13 on the iOS device ? Did you wait without cancelling it ?

For sync issues i have always said one needs to see logs from both sides - the server and the device plex app -

If you can reproduce the problem with another new sync and it gets stuck, suggest getting screens again and logs from both sides and then waiting 30 minutes and taking another set of screenshots and logs - without cancelling or restarting the sync

May be the issue is that Plex for iOs is not detecting the completion of the conversion soon enough

I am sorry i did not mention the iOS logs in my earlier post to you

See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

edited August 7

Hi

I'm certain it never finishes. It used to finish fine, and in fact, from the example above, it's been days and that sync is still at 50% and "waiting for server", the exact same behavior of all sync jobs of late.

I will reproduce, but I guess the question is how long should I log it stuck at 50%? Know what I mean?

No need to apologize. I'm very grateful for the help.

I went went with about ten minutes after it gets stuck. I also turned on "network logging". Attached are server and iOS logs.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,835Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

I thought I said 20 minutes - and suggested two sets of logs with one additional set after 30 minutes

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

@ataribaby said:
    I went went with about ten minutes after it gets stuck. I also turned on "network logging". Attached are server and iOS logs.

I have passed the diagnostics to the development team

Hi

I guess it's a sign of how busy I am right now with work that I am not following instructions well Lol. Very sorry and I'm going to do the thing again today as requested. Thank you for having patience with me

I have passed on what you submitted. It showed the sync did not get downloaded to the iOS device but it was ready to be downloaded.

I have seen syncs get downloaded and become available about 20 minutes later - hence my request.
    I am not sure if re displaying the sync page on the iOS device helps

We are actually in the wrong forum thread. I will try and split it if possible. Your problem has no relation to the topic of this thread and that does not help you

edited August 12

The problem is that you continued with your original thread for an unrelated issue - so every one scanning forum thinks you have a transcoder failure issue - but you do not

Edit: The sync issue is now a separate thread - here.

• fokusnikfokusnik Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello, i seem to have similar issue

• trying to sync to iOS iPad (10.3.3), Plex app 4.16, Server 1.7.5.4035
    • Initiating sync from iPad, selected a bunch of movies - most show 50% progress with 2 actually finished downloading but none of the others
    • when going under Activity : Status : Sync - under iPad i don't see any entries
    • also nothing under Conversions

Debug logs were disabled, just enabled them

• Chiller61Chiller61 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also experiencing this sync issue - following....

• gmonroygmonroy Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So Mine sits at 50% or 51%

I have waited hours and no progress.

• gmonroygmonroy Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also you can see the activity circle at the top and it just blinks and blinks

@gmonroy said:
    Also you can see the activity circle at the top and it just blinks and blinks

Does it ever complete?

The more diagnostics we get the better chance at getting the problem understood and to establish if it is just one issue or different underlying issues giving the same end result

Please try to get server and plex client app logs the next time this arises. Do allow 30 minutes after it appears to be stuck before collecting the screenshots and the logs from both ends

See
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs

Hi
    Still happening, several versions later. I'm going to do the timing as you previously requested now.

Okay, still happening several versions and updates later. iOS updated also. Here is a log that is about 40 minutes long. Takes longer than it used to to start syncing, gets to 50% on iOS and just stays there, "waiting".

I used the new feature in the settings/help menu. I also sent logs to developer in iOS.

Today I will try the most recent server update and reinstall iOS.

edited September 9

My problem is fixed! Deleting and reinstalling the iOS app appears to have solved it. Why didn't I try that two months ago? I've been using iPad syncing for a lonnnnnnnnng time, so maybe I just needed a fresh iOS app install.