If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Android Live TV from differnt IP (location)

mooney101mooney101 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm looking into setting up a nivida shield for live TV and recording but I have one question. Can another andoird TV device like a Mi Box for example stream live tv from my home server (shield) if its different IP? I have an elderly friend who use my antenna to watch her local shows but is on Roku. I had a simple.tv set up which worked great until they went out of business. I want her to be able to watch live TV as well as the recorded shows. Can an android TV box do this for her? Thank You

Answers

• rwhaphamrwhapham Posts: 259Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The short answer is "yes, but...". An Android TV device can play live TV from a remote server, but with a couple of caveats. The biggest is that, currently, only the admin account supports live TV. So if your friend has their own Plex account and you are sharing libraries with them, then they will not be able to view live TV. I fully expect this will be implemented at some point, but when is anyone's guess. Second, and you're probably already aware of this, you'll be at the mercy of your upstream and their downstream bandwidth, which will most likely cause the stream to be transcoded. So be sure your Plex server has the CPU to handle this.

You might also want to look into direct tuner support on the Android TV box itself. I know a Shield TV is a pricey option, but it supports USB tuner sticks. I don't recall if the Nexus Player or Mi Box do, though. Just a possible alternative solution.

nuVue for Plex - your media server sidekick

• theperformanceonetheperformanceone Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 15

If you plan on possibly doing this in the near future you might want to stick with the PLEX supported devices. If you look at the release notes you will notice their priority for updates follow those devices. Google Nexus , Razor Forge & NVIDIA Shield and of course the Apple TV as well.

https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/android-tv/

Especially considering you want to minimize the down time and frustration for your elderly friend.

The Mi box is not currently supported, several forum members have posted their results/attempts.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,887Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Technically Plex should work on all Android TV devices. Most Mi boxes are not Android TV, just Android running a TV UI. There is 1 Mi box that is Android TV, so if you have this box, then it should just work.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 867Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mooney101 said:
    I'm looking into setting up a nivida shield for live TV and recording but I have one question. Can another andoird TV device like a Mi Box for example stream live tv from my home server (shield) if its different IP? I have an elderly friend who use my antenna to watch her local shows but is on Roku. I had a simple.tv set up which worked great until they went out of business. I want her to be able to watch live TV as well as the recorded shows. Can an android TV box do this for her? Thank You

If you use a silicondust tuner, use this plex channel for your elderly friend for the time being. This channel will run on the same plex server install as the new plex DVR:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/101755/rel-hdhomerun-viewer/p1

Grant her access to the newly created channel section.
    Boooya Live tv for your elderly friend, web client and roku!