If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server crash

microfichemicrofiche Posts: 16Members ✭✭

Running Version 1.7.5.4035 on Windows 10 Home. Server crashing over the last number of weeks, never had a problem before.
May be crashing when it does library scans?
Is there a fix?
I saw a related thread, but it seemed to be tied to a preview build of Windows. My Windows version is 1703 OS build 15063.483 (not beta / preview)
Seems to be related to ntdll.dll?

Best Answer

• microfichemicrofiche Posts: 16Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Well it crashed again this AM before I got a chance to get a second look at memory status. It was fine yesterday.
    I uninstalled BitDefender and put Avast Free on instead to see if that will help.
    Then I opened Plex and it updated itself to 1.8.1.4139, so now I will have no idea what fixed the issue if it stops crashing.
    When was the last update for free users released? Was it in late June when mine started crashing? I can't seem to find version history. The DLNA server started crashing around 6/24 and then I eventually stopped the service - which is when the Plex media server started crashing more regularly.
    I have a snapshot of the task manager memory status and process details, so I will try to record again every 12 hours or so.
    If I was to make a data collector set and run perfmon, what counter(s) would be helpful?

Answers

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,173Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,173Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@microfiche said:
    Running Version 1.7.5.4035 on Windows 10 Home. Server crashing over the last number of weeks, never had a problem before.
    May be crashing when it does library scans?
    Is there a fix?
    I saw a related thread, but it seemed to be tied to a preview build of Windows. My Windows version is 1703 OS build 15063.483 (not beta / preview)
    Seems to be related to ntdll.dll?

@microfiche said:
    Thanks - attached.

Thanks for the log. I can see it crashed around this time

Aug 09, 2017 04:44:19.052 [8856] ERROR - WinPreferences::getBoolValueWithDefault - GetRegistryValue for logDebug failed: 0x3e6
    Aug 09, 2017 04:44:19.052 [8968] DEBUG - EventSource: Failure in IdleTimeout (0 - Unknown error).
    Aug 09, 2017 04:44:19.052 [8856] ERROR - WinPreferences::getBoolValueWithDefault - GetRegistryValue for logDebug failed: 0x3e6
    Aug 09, 2017 04:44:19.052 [8968] DEBUG - MyPlex: We appear to have lost Internet connectivity, resetting device URL cache.

I am not sure if there error 998 s (0x3e6) Invalid access to memory location. are knock off effect of the crash you saw an event for at 04:44:19 or it is actually part of the problem

There are no Plex Crash Uploader log files since 19th July - so for some reason the crash was not detectable to the crash reporting process

Are you aware of any system change since then ?

Are there any dmp files in this folder C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\CrashDumps
    Any within C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Crash Reports\1.7.5.4035-313f93718\PLEX MEDIA SERVER ?

Could you run some system checks
    Do an integrity run on windows

Start command line window with Run As Administrator
    and then type command
    sfc /scannow
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Thanks for the help!
    No system changes other then Windows updates - all this computer does is Plex Server
    Nothing in:

• C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\CrashDumps, or
    • C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Crash Reports\1.7.5.4035-313f93718\PLEX MEDIA SERVER

No violations running sfc /scannow...

Need to wait for a crash when we have a Plex Crash Uploader log file generated after - without a dump we are clueless

In that event log what was the application error earlier - at 04:44:00

> In that event log what was the application error earlier - at 04:44:00
    The same error - exactly.

> Need to wait for a crash when we have a Plex Crash Uploader log file generated after
    Is there some way to make that happen? This crash has happened a number of times without that log being generated from what I can see...

edited August 14

There are some registry settings that may result in the dumps being handled by windows
    See
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb787181(v=vs.85).aspx

you could look for malware like LavasoftTCPService.dll - checking C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows \SysWow64

You could send me by Private Message export from the windows system and application event logs

Is the Plex Crash Uploader.log still from July?

Attach more logs after the most recent crash

edited August 14

Sent PM with logs. No signs of that malware, I am using free Bitdefender on that computer - will put an anti-malware app on and scan tomorrow.
    Not sure what you mean by "Is the Plex Crash Uploader.log still from July? Attach more logs after the most recent crash"

@microfiche said:
    Sent PM with logs. No signs of that malware, I am using free Bitdefender on that computer - will put an anti-malware app on and scan tomorrow.
    Not sure what you mean by "Is the Plex Crash Uploader.log still from July? Attach more logs after the most recent crash"

Thanks for the event logs - nothing stands out. You are right it started in June. The plex crashes follow a couple Bitfender crashes in june and they go back to PMS 1.5.7

@microfiche said:

I meant if you look in folder
    C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs and examine the contents of the files with names starting Plex Crash Uploader - are there any ones since the ones in your last zipped logs - which showed latest being from July

And with regards to the 'attach more logs' - there may be some extra info in the new logs - collected after restart following a crash

Installed a free trial of Malwarebytes 3 - scan indicates no malware.
    No more recent Plex Crash Uploader logs - last one dated July 19.

edited August 16

Crashed again this evening.
    No new Plex Crash Uploader. logs
    Same crash report in the Application log.

@microfiche said:
    Crashed again this evening.
    No new Plex Crash Uploader. logs
    Same crash report in the Application log.

Could you look into available memory on the PC. Does it go down significantly

The last set of logs shows the server running from Aug 12, 2017 20:42:30 until we had failure at Aug 15, 2017 17:48:47

The errors logged are ones seen before when we run out of memory and cannot allocate resources

Aug 15, 2017 17:48:47.477 [5988] ERROR - Couldn't add a new thread to the pool of size 4: boost::thread_resource_error: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format

Check windows task manager detail view and also Resouce Monitor to see if the free memory is low or gets low after a number of days

edited August 22

It crashed again last night - checking memory this AM I did not see any drop in free memory over the last few days. However, I was unable to access the server locally after I restarted following the crash. I could access from another computer - but could not see the server settings? Had to reboot again.

As I mentioned - this Windows 10 computer was built to host Plex Server only - no other apps other than Bitdefender AV and Teamviewer (for remote access) are running on it. Plex was not being accessed last night when it crashed. I am not sure what to do - this is very frustrating. Would I get better access to support if I paid for a subscription?

@microfiche said:
    It crashed again last night - checking memory this AM I did not see any drop in free memory over the last few days. However, I was unable to access the server locally after I restarted following the crash. I could access from another computer - but could not see the server settings? Had to reboot again.

As I mentioned - this Windows 10 computer was built to host Plex Server only - no other apps other than Bitdefender AV and Teamviewer (for remote access) are running on it. Plex was not being accessed last night when it crashed. I am not sure what to do - this is very frustrating. Would I get better access to support if I paid for a subscription?

These errors led to the crash. The errors are indicative of system resources issue - perhaps a memory leak by an application

Aug 21, 2017 22:26:32.035 [9404] ERROR - Couldn't add a new thread to the pool of size 2: boost::thread_resource_error: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format
    Aug 21, 2017 22:26:41.511 [9404] ERROR - Couldn't add a new thread to the pool of size 2: boost::thread_resource_error: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format
    Aug 21, 2017 22:27:32.046 [9404] ERROR - Couldn't add a new thread to the pool of size 2: boost::thread_resource_error: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format

The problem arose at 22:26:32 on August 21. The errors continued until 22:48 when it crashed
    and you restarted the server at 06:28 August 22

Did you look at memory usage on the system in windows task manager when you noticed the problem?
    Windows Task Manager / Resource Monitor?
    How much free memory ?
    The Plex Media Server.exe process would have gone by then but an indication of memory usage overall would help

Anything abnormal in the windows event log - System and Application event logs between 22:00 and 22:27 August 21and up to the crash point at 22:48?

You could save the system and application event logs and zip and send to me by Private Message

The logs for periods after restart show some external requests not succeeding - may be it is your security software -- or it could be that windows ran out of system resources and could not recover without a reboot

These 3 external requests timed out

Aug 22, 2017 06:36:28.348 [3132] DEBUG - HTTP requesting GET http://ocspx.digicert.com/MFEwTzBNMEswSTAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBSnVdbEyh8T3xvVlkPGHNCJxnqCPgQUlIuJ90hyifJRStmIe%2BVhtaqc1QECEAFokCvS2THrlHhcvbRZIbo%3D
    Aug 22, 2017 06:37:58.497 [3132] ERROR - Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 28
    Aug 22, 2017 06:37:58.497 [3132] DEBUG - HTTP simulating 408 after curl timeout

Aug 22, 2017 06:36:30.349 [5180] DEBUG - HTTP requesting GET http://plex.tv/pms/:/ip
    Aug 22, 2017 06:38:00.573 [5180] ERROR - Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 28
    Aug 22, 2017 06:38:00.573 [5180] DEBUG - HTTP simulating 408 after curl timeout

Aug 22, 2017 06:36:33.537 [0956] DEBUG - HTTP requesting POST http://www.google-analytics.com/collect
    Aug 22, 2017 06:38:03.704 [0956] ERROR - Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 28
    Aug 22, 2017 06:38:03.705 [0956] DEBUG - HTTP simulating 408 after curl timeout

I was checking free memory up until it crashed and after it crashed - it was about 50% free - always seems to be sitting around there. I see nothing in the system or app logs - sent to you by PM.
    From what I recall, nothing has changed on this computer. I believe it started crashing just after that last update? Before that I had never had a crash. the Bitdefender AV program was always installed.

edited August 23

Thank you for sending me the application and system event logs

The recent Plex Media Server crashes appear to arise after 3 days of running after each reboot. I have ignored the PlexDlnaServer.exe crashes that were occurring before in July. Info on application crashes and reboots
    I have put dates in UK format - sorry

29/07/2017 22:27:04 Reboot          *****
    01/08/2017 22:01:06 Plex Media Server.exe

06/08/2017 07:33:38 Reboot          *****
    09/08/2017 04:44:00 Plex Media Server.exe
    09/08/2017 04:44:19 Plex Media Server.exe
    15/08/2017 18:09:42 Plex Media Server.exe

18/08/2017 20:19:41 Reboot          *****
    18/08/2017 20:20:09 svchost.exe_AppReadiness
    21/08/2017 22:48:49 Plex Media Server.exe

So have a look at memory information after 3 days from the time of the last reboot which was
    22/08/2017 06:40:58 Reboot *****
    So look at memory info late in the evening on 24th August and if it does not crash overnight, look at memory early morning on the 25th August. Available memory and also windows task manager memory usage for Plex Media Server.exe process

There were also a few other failures for other programs flagged in the event log

06/08/2017 18:13:54 vsserv.exe      event:RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
    14/08/2017 06:56:03 MBAMService.exe event:RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
    18/08/2017 20:39:50 TiWorker.exe            event:RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
    19/08/2017 06:54:57 TeamViewer_Desktop.exe   event:RADAR_PRE_LEAK_WOW64
    19/08/2017 07:57:32 WindowsUpdateFailure3    

Accepted Answer

Well it crashed again this AM before I got a chance to get a second look at memory status. It was fine yesterday.
    I uninstalled BitDefender and put Avast Free on instead to see if that will help.
    Then I opened Plex and it updated itself to 1.8.1.4139, so now I will have no idea what fixed the issue if it stops crashing.
    When was the last update for free users released? Was it in late June when mine started crashing? I can't seem to find version history. The DLNA server started crashing around 6/24 and then I eventually stopped the service - which is when the Plex media server started crashing more regularly.
    I have a snapshot of the task manager memory status and process details, so I will try to record again every 12 hours or so.
    If I was to make a data collector set and run perfmon, what counter(s) would be helpful?

6 days now with no more crashes, so it was either version 1.8.1.4139 that fixed it (my guess - as BitDefender had been installed since day 1 without issues), or replacing Bitdefender with Avast.
    Thanks for your efforts, sa2000! :)

Well, glad the crashes stopped. Will remain a mystery. May be was a bad install corrected by the upgrade.