If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex to Chromecast into cheap garden projector

robmcmrobmcm Posts: 9Members ✭✭
edited August 14 in Google Chromecast

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use Plex to cast to my Chromecast while it's plugged into the HDMI in of a cheap projector I bought to use in the garden. Video works fine but I get no sound. The projector doesn't accept AC3 or DTS audio, so I need plex to transcode it to something the projector does understand. I've used the web interface on PMS to tell me what the chromecast is receiving: when sending a file with AC3 audio, PMS direct streams (and I get no sound). When playing a file with DTS audio, PMS trascodes the audio into AC3 (and I get no sound). How can I force my PMS to transcode ALL audio into AAC or, second choice, mp3 (which the projector apparently can understand) when streaming to the Chromecast, but to carry on direct playing everything when watching on my Samsung?

Answers

• jmisolajmisola Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,
    I am in the same boat !
    Did you find a solution ?
    Thanks

• robmcmrobmcm Posts: 9Members ✭✭

No, I never solved it. In the end I abandoned trying to use the Chromecast and instead used Plex Media Player from a laptop via HDMI to the projector. Frustrating, but when there's so many variables I guess it's not a surprise when some odd combination doesn't quite work.