Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is HEVC already in the Apple TV 4 profile?

root_42root_42 Posts: 7Members ✭✭

The current public tvOS 11 beta and the upcoming stable release of tvOS 11 have HEVC support. Is this already in the plex profiles for the atv4? Can I enable this manually, if this is not the case?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• bananafrancobananafranco Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Cool - I didn't know that the ATV will support hevc.

I just edited the profile on the server (hosted on Ubuntu 16.04 Server located at /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles/tvOS.xml) and the ATV tried to DirectPlay hevc content encoded in 8Bit but no picture was shown. I only could listen to the audio, screen stayed black. 10bit encoded hevc still transcoded.

Does it matter on which platform the server resides?

• trudgetrudge Posts: 2,258Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bananafranco said:

Does it matter on which platform the server resides?

No, but you need to be running the new tvOS 11 beta on your ATV4

ATV is running the latest tvOS beta. Think I'll try again with more time at hand

• tsheleytsheley Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I tried the changes to both the tvOS and the iOS profiles. I am running iOS 11 on both. With the changes in the iOS profile my iPad with Plex did Direct Play my h.265 file. With the changes in the tvOS profile the same file was transcoded. Any thoughts?

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 599Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@talkthewog

what are you using to do your hevc encoding... handbrake? What settings are you using..? Are you guessing or do you know what apple is planning to publish as far as appletv / iOS / tvos hevc maximum profiles supported?

• root_42root_42 Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I've tried it with some videos and I can only see black. However VLC on the Apple TV using the Plex UPnP server works just fine and is really fast, also while seeking. So maybe I just use VLC as the client. Although I like the Plex client better...

• talkthewogtalkthewog Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@dragonmel ... The only thing you need to do to get HEVC (H.265) files with Handbrake is to select "H.265 (x265)" in the "Video Encoder" dropdown list on the "Video" tab. You can store it all in a standard MP4/M4V or MKV container as you prefer. (I use M4V.) Other settings should be just the same as always. Some of the standard presets encode to H.265, but I always set things according to my own tastes.

As I mentioned above, though, remember that you need get the more recent (nightly) builds of Handbrake for the files to play back on macOS 10.3 / tvOS 11. I don't know what the story is if you run Handbrake on another platform, but I imagine it's the same.

@root_42... Did you download the nightly build for Handbrake? If you don't, you'll get the wrong codec identifier ("fourcc" code) in your file, and it won't play on either the Mac or the Apple TV. (It seems that there are actually two different valid identifiers for variants of the H.265 codec, and the current official release of Handbrake (1.07) does not use the right one. Apple requires "hvc1", and this has now been included in the more recent builds of Handbrake. You can use "Get Info" in Finder or QuickTime Player to display the video code identifier. It should say either "hvc1" or "HEVC", depending on the application.)

@tsheley... I can't see what the problem would be if you've got the syntax right. See above. Is your ATV4 running tvOS 11 beta?

Yep. Running the newest beta as of last night. I will try again. Like I said it worked great on iOS 11 after changing the iOS xml file.

Must have done something wrong. It works now.

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 377Members ✭✭✭

What are peoples experiences with regard to Handbrake encoding times of the same material, if you are comparing h264 to h265?

• root_42root_42 Posts: 7Members ✭✭

@talkthewog said:

@root_42... Did you download the nightly build for Handbrake? If you don't, you'll get the wrong codec identifier ("fourcc" code) in your file, and it won't play on either the Mac or the Apple TV. (It seems that there are actually two different valid identifiers for variants of the H.265 codec, and the current official release of Handbrake (1.07) does not use the right one. Apple requires "hvc1", and this has now been included in the more recent builds of Handbrake. You can use "Get Info" in Finder or QuickTime Player to display the video code identifier. It should say either "hvc1" or "HEVC", depending on the application.)

I tried remuxing with MP4Box. Now file has hvc1 fourcc. However, Plex still does not like the file. It won't play at all anymore. VLC still plays it though...

I will try to find a reference file which is supposed to work, or create my own with Handbrake...

@root_42 ... I guess if MP4Box sets the right fourcc code, then that should work too. Actually, before I found out that the recent builds of Handbrake would do the trick, I actually manually edited this code using a hex editor, and it worked. The video stream itself doesn't seem to be a problem... just the code, if it's not the Apple wants.

• bigd2337bigd2337 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have made the changes to my iOS.xml and tvOS.xml files and I can't get either to direct play my h265....any suggestions? do I need a beta version of the server or the app istself on my client device ?

After changing the fourcc with an hex editor (from hev1 to hvc1) I was instantly able to Quicklook the video in macOS High Sierra - horray!

Made the changes on the PlexServer again - restarted server and sure enough it's working. h265 direct streams

Just one file which I encoded a long time ago on a windows machine refuses to play. Don't know what settings I used. Has Apple released the maximum profile/settings it will support on their hardware?

off to changing lots of fourcc codes

• bigd2337bigd2337 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok I got it to work after downloading the nightly release of handbrake. Is there a program that will repackage mkv h265 files to mp4 without doing uneccesary encoding

edited August 24

@bigd2337 said:
    Ok I got it to work after downloading the nightly release of handbrake. Is there a program that will repackage mkv h265 files to mp4 without doing uneccesary encoding

I believe Subler should be able to remux it.

Subler is great, but it only handles the MP4/M4V container. For MKV, you can use MKVToolNix. Have a look here: https://fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html

To be honest, though, if you can do with MP4 instead of MKV, I'd go with Subler. It's excellent for both remuxing and for metadata.

edited August 25

@talkthewog said:
    Subler is great, but it only handles the MP4/M4V container. For MKV, you can use MKVToolNix. Have a look here: https://fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html

I use Subler with MKVs on a daily basis and it works fine for remuxing to MP4.
    When I wrote 'believe' I specifically meant h.265 support, which I do believe it supports. It has no issues with everything else, including MKV.

• lisanetlisanet Posts: 14Members ✭✭

@talkthewog

YMMD :smiley:

I was struggling with Plex on Fire TV 4K not playing DD 5.1 on h265 videos. So I decided to use my Apple TV4 and Plex to play them but noticed that although it's running tvOS 11 beta, all h265 videos were transcoded to h264.

With the above changes in tvOS.xml and change of the fourcc to hvc1 now all works perfectly. h265 plays fine without transcoding and DD 5.1 works too.

Thanks a lot!