If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

metadata location and performance

cyriltracyriltra Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

I have a NAS for my media storage and I plan to purchase an intel nuc to act as my media server. My client will be an odroid c2, connected to my TV.

On my server, I will use docker and install the plex container from linuxserver.io.

In their guide, they suggested to mount he volume for plex metadata outside of the container. Now, should I put this metadata volume on my NAS (HDD) or on the SSD drive of my NUC ?
What i'm looking for is when I browse my library (on the odroid c2), i want the posters to load as quick as possible (instantly would be great, as in the video of ByteMyBits' guy). Will this be the case ? Also, for a library of around 8To, how big would be the metadata folder ?

Thank you

Tagged:

Answers

• 11notes11notes Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Use your NAS as storage, active NFS on your NAS. Install vSphere Free on your intel NUC. Create a linux VM (doesn't matter which one). Install docker in the linux VM. Setup storage mapping from your linux VM to your NAS (NFS, CIFS, etc) with docker-volume-netshare (https://github.com/11notes/alpine-docker-netshare). Pull plexpass docker and set -v to your NFS targets. DONE.

I would virtualize the intel NUC, so that you can use it for other VMs as well, not just as plex server.

• cyriltracyriltra Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So i assume the intel nuc needs to run win10 for better hardware support over linux ?
    And what about the thumbnails display performance when browsing my movie database ? Should the thumbnails be displayed "instantly" despite being stored on the NAS ?