If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4k with subtitles on Samsung tizen tv starts transcoding.

Hi All...

I hope someone can help me out with my 4K issue on mu Samsung 55KS7005 from 2016.
It's running Tizen OS.

When ever i try playing 4k content without subtitles enabled, it plays just fine.
When i activate the subtitles (srt), it starts buffering all the time, so i guess that transcoding kicks in. An even though i run PMS on a Intel NUC Skull Canyon with an i7 CPU, it not enough to handle the 4k transcoding :( )

In the Plex Tizen App on my tv, i set the subtitle to only burn image format. I know that the same file can direct play perfectly fine if i use Emby as media server and Emby app on the TV and with subtitles enabled.

So what the issue with the Plex app? I have also sometime see a green screen (artifacts) when trying to playback 4k content.

As a bonus info, i tried the same 4k file on an older Samsung 4k tv running on their old OS (Orsay) with the plex app for Orsay, and it also works perfectly fine.

I hope to get some input on why this happens, and hopefully a solution :)

Comments

• aakx87aakx87 Posts: 2Members

Hi,

Apparantly, Samsung TIzen TV's do not support Direct Playing with subtitles using Direct Play over HTTP, this means that Plex decides to Direct Streaming using HLS - Effectively transcoding.

I have been struggling with this aswell, but they say it is not possible. Other applications however can direct play with SRT support, maybe plex will some day figure it out.

Best regards,
    AAK

• tjalfe85tjalfe85 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I seems odd that a competing media solution developer are able to achieve this, while Plex developers can't :neutral:

• mbze430mbze430 Posts: 129Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

yes, now if they can only do a work around with the subtitles. I was pleasantly surprised using my KS8000 to play a 10bit 4K HDR video over this weekend and it actually played via DirectPlay. However once subtitles is turned on, it uses Direct Stream.

I hope this goes for the same with the Plex app on the LG WebOS 3.5+

I really think they should put some effort in this! especially since Emby is able to make it work

Any new og getting direct play/direct stream with subtitles enabled?

• MALmenMALmen Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 14

I would also like to get this working. When I enable subtitles it says "converting" throttles even though is says that both video and audio stream is direct play. the picture is full with artifacts. This works on non 4k material.

• vincezzvincezz Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 17

This is a known issue.
    Plex TV Client developers have decided, that this is a low priority issue.

For me, this is a blocking issue, since it prohibited me from using Plex on my NAS for 16 months, now. I have since employed emby.

Plex Enthusiast

• adhocadhocadhocadhoc Posts: 11Members ✭✭

@vincezz said:
    This is a known issue.
    Plex TV Client developers have decided, that this is a low priority issue.

For me, this is a blocking issue, since it prohibited me from using Plex on my NAS for 16 months, now. I have since employed emby.

Wow I haven't heard of Emby. I can't for the life of me get Plex to work on my Samsung TV without buffering and see that Emby is available to download on the Samsung app store. I'm going to give it a shot