If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

subtitles in ripped blu-ray video (pgs format) crashes Plex playback

dkuhl0904dkuhl0904 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I am using the Plex server on my Nvidia Shield TV and it works OK. Not really well, compared to Kodi direct play I used before, but normally it runs.
But, I archived a lot of my movies and TV shows from my Blu-rays, in 1080p and including the subtitles.
If I play a video without subtitle, everything is OK - even it takes a while before the film or show starts.
As soon, I chose a subtitle included in the .mkv file (in pgs graphic format), the playback stops or crash. It shows "server isn´t able to transcode"... But why transcoding? Shield itself and also my LG smart TV is able to handle the .mkv with the pgs subtitles!

Interesting thing: If I do have text subtitles in i.e. srt format separat from the video file and chose this - everything is fine.

In my honest opinion, it can only be a configuration issue - as no transcoding seems necessary. Can anybody help to find the correct setting?!

many thanks for your help.

Dietmar

Best Answer

• dkuhl0904dkuhl0904 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

So, anyhow it is a client duty whether or not being able to display directly or request transcoding?

Answers

• FordGuy61FordGuy61 Posts: 222Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Support for PGS subtitles varies by client.

I've a Shield TV and Amazon Fire TV Gen 2.

Plex client on Shield TV direct plays PGS subtitles.

Plex client on Amazon Fire TV Gen 2 transcodes video when PGS subtitles are selected.

• dkuhl0904dkuhl0904 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

So, anyhow it is a client duty whether or not being able to display directly or request transcoding?