If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Live TV for Roku

gbaborgbabor Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I understand Live TV is still in Beta and it is available on Apple TV. I also know many Plex users are eager to get it on Roku, but seeing that Plex does not like to give ETAs on such developments will there be an official announcement or email if/when Plex Live TV does come to Roku?

I, like many others, will gladly pay for a premium account when and ONLY when Live TV comes to Roku. I am a big Plex fan, but it's such a shame Apple TV gets this and not Roku.

Will an email be sent alerting people when/if they can get Plex TV on Roku?

Thanks.

Answers

• asagarraasagarra Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How about you go premium first so you support the development?
    There'll be always new features coming and so potentially 'reasons' to wait.
    If you are a big Plex fan, going premium is the best way to support plex.
    The reason why Plex went that far is because it got premium subscribers.
    I can't tell you what to do, your call, but.. I'd gladly continue to pay my subscription even if there was no difference at all between the Plex Pass and the free subscription.
    To me, Plex is adding real value to all my A/V infrastructure, much more than a lot of the HW I paid for.

Please don't take this the wrong way. This just tries to be an encouraging message for users sitting on the free/premium edge. The more we get premium, the better Plex will be.

PMS: Home made NAS. Xeon E3-1230v2. 8Gb on Ubuntu 16.04.03

• Patrick_Patrick_ Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Development takes time, I'm waiting for this functionality as well. Live TV on the Roku likely will take on the fly transcoding at a minimum which is going to up the CPU requirements of the PMS significantly.

As asagarra already mentioned, Plex is constantly changing and has been worth every penny to me as well.

PMS: Supermicro L5640, 48GB ram, 12TB, FreeBSD jail
    PMSC: Roku3's

• mwarcurimwarcuri Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also a paid user. I am also waiting for Live TV on the Roku but don't see why it would be so hard on the CPU... I can watch the .TS file now as a recording with no issues which I assume is also trans-code on the fly... I can use the same machine running MythTV that sends a live TV to a Kodi box over Wi-Fi with no issues and the Kodi box is a RPI3 so its also being trans-coded on the fly and works flawlessly... I'd just like to get rid of MythTV and be able to use Plex for all of my needs. I'm guessing that it's not an issue of taxing out CPU's it's more of an issue getting Roku to accept the way Plex wants to do it.

MSI - Gamer 5 MB
    i5-4460 CPU
    16 gb of PNY 1866 DDR3 Memory
    128 gig PNY SSD drive for the OS (Linux Mint 18.2)
    480 gig SanDisk Ultra II SSD program disk
    1 tb Seagate Barracuda 5400 HDD
    LG Blu-Ray RW 16x Drive
    Hauppauge WinTV quad
    WD My Cloud 2tb NAS with an 8tb WD Red drive in separate enclosure (USB 3.0) for 10 tb Storage

• soonerbrewsoonerbrew Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am a supporter, and i really want this.

• avmasalaavmasala Posts: 5Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ditto. We need live TV and DVR for roku. Roku is a more stable platform than Android TV (which I also have and hate).

• TecMunkyTecMunky Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From what I am reading, I think I have to get another nVidia Shield (Android TV) for my second TV. I can view Live TV and set up and watch recordings from my Shield, but not my Roku. So now my Roku is basically useless. Anyone want a Roku box? And Android TV is very stable in my experience. Plus it is much more flexible than Roku.

• SmithFamAZSmithFamAZ Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok - So sometimes all it takes is to, well ask... With the same humor and sarcasm that comes from our friends at Plex.. In a response from the Plex Pass team:

I quote: "Live TV in Roku is coming, though as you mentioned we can't really provide an ETA you can expect it... maybe... oh I don't know.. soon ;) Ok well before the new year. It's actively being worked on."

Now, I will never hold a development company to a date as I know that timelines can shift due to unforeseen issues that arise, but this does make me feel much better!

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,284Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@SmithFamAZ, that looks an awful lot like something I might write ;)

In the voice of Professor Farnsworth... Good news, everyone! That quote is true.

@gbaborm, we are actively working on bringing Live TV to all platforms, so that includes Roku! You'll see some sort of marketing push to promote the feature landing on Roku.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• mwarcurimwarcuri Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just saw the FireTV and Web player now have LIVE TV... Hoping that Roku is next in line!!!!! That would help me out greatly!

MSI - Gamer 5 MB
    i5-4460 CPU
    16 gb of PNY 1866 DDR3 Memory
    128 gig PNY SSD drive for the OS (Linux Mint 18.2)
    480 gig SanDisk Ultra II SSD program disk
    1 tb Seagate Barracuda 5400 HDD
    LG Blu-Ray RW 16x Drive
    Hauppauge WinTV quad
    WD My Cloud 2tb NAS with an 8tb WD Red drive in separate enclosure (USB 3.0) for 10 tb Storage

• Crashin-KCCrashin-KC Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm hoping this is soon as well. I have three Rokus that I was using with Simple.tv devices for OTA. Since Simple.tv died I had my boxes converted to HD homerun Extends and I bought the Plex Pass. However Live TV is only working on my iPhone and iPad at this time. I need to do some work to figure out why my recordings aren't working. Most of all I was disappointed to find that the Live streaming didn't work to my Roku or Windows computers.

• theuser86theuser86 Posts: 575Members ✭✭✭
    edited September 8

Live TV streaming works on the Roku and Windows with a Tablo DVR. Not in the Plex channel obviously, separate Tablo channnel on the Roku.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,284Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Live TV on Roku is coming soon :)

• Boehmer82Boehmer82 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I hope it comes before the Plexpass sale ends..! I need to test it out before I buy, and live TV is the only reason I'd get a plexpass. But unfortunately it seems all live TV is garbage so not sure it's worth it.

• RollemIraRollemIra Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kinoCharlino said:

This is what I like to see :smile:

@RollemIra said:

@kinoCharlino said:

This is what I like to see :smile:

oh then I hope soon you will be happy :)

• rcurtiswarfieldrcurtiswarfield Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 21

Everyone's definition of coming soon is different. It could still be 2 or 3 months out :-(

I still don't know how Emby beat Plex to the punch. I love Plex but come on already. If your competition can do it, so can you !!!

• jbaconbitsjbaconbits Posts: 177Members ✭✭

@rcurtiswarfield said:
    Everyone's definition of coming soon is different. It could still be 2 or 3 months out :-(

I still don't know how Emby beat Plex to the punch. I love Plex but come on already. If your competition can do it, so can you !!!

Updated to 5.0 today.

• rcurtiswarfieldrcurtiswarfield Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What is updated to 5.0?

@rcurtiswarfield said:

There's a bit more going on with the Roku app than just adding Live TV, and unfortunately I can't elaborate on release dates.

• DFuryDFury Posts: 223Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kinoCharlino said:

@rcurtiswarfield said:

There's a bit more going on with the Roku app than just adding Live TV, and unfortunately I can't elaborate on release dates

@kinoCharlino, can you confirm whether or not ljunkie is still on the Plex team?