If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Windows app not able to access plex server on the same local network

This is a bit strange. I've got my desktop, with the Windows 10 app, on the same LAN network as my Plex server. I can access the server web interface directly by the IP address, ect. My phone can access it as well. But the Windows 10 app won't get on the server! It always reverts to local content and I'm very confused. It doesn't give any kind of error message it just...refuses to connect to the server.

Any ideas guys?

Answers

• missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 223Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You may have a problem with remote access. Did you set up port forwarding correctly? Don't know why it affects that, but had the exact same issue until i fixed the forwarding.

• TheMooDudeTheMooDude Posts: 204Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had a similar issue when I moved. I didn't have the internet activated yet so was limited to LAN only (with one device online tethered to my mobile). What I found was without the server being online I was only able to connect via the web player using the local IP, or using PMP on certain devices (notably worked on my Pi).

Is your server connected to the internet?

i5-2500K | 20GB DDR3 | 4x3TB WD Red RAID1 | Windows Server 2012 R2 | Plex Media Server
    i7-6700 | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 980TI | Windows 10 Pro | Plex Media Player
    Samsung UE40K5500 | Plex SmartTV App
    Raspberry Pi 3-B | Plex Media Player Embedded
    LG V30 | Android 7.1.2 | Plex for Android

• missionspartamissionsparta Posts: 223Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

To be honest, I feel bad for everyone posting their problems on here. It is obvious the dev working on this app quit or was let go. It is also obvious the "this app is being worked on" is utter B.S. This is the biggest slow roll I have ever seen from a pretty reputable developer. Damn shame.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,656Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What have you got set for secure connections in server and app?

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It is likely that either your plexserver or you desktop have some firewall rules that are stopping it from connecting directly. Make sure you double check those :smile: (because you can connect from other devices I presume it is your desktop computer that is currently having some firewall rules for the plex app)

• RedSocks157RedSocks157 Posts: 164Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey guys thanks for the responses! I fixed it by allowing UPnP automatic port forwarding on my router, I haven't had the issue since I did that.

• johnfuller5johnfuller5 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the exact same issue. Checked my routher and UPnP is enabled. I have no issue connected via chrome or my iPad and iPhone apps. I turned off the firewall to see what affect that had - still no connection. Anyone have any other suggestions?