If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Streaming Radio Channel: How To Update Program Title Periodically

fecaleaglefecaleagle Posts: 124Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I made a channel for personal use that pulls in a local NPR station's stream. Basically, I consume the program metadadata for the station from NPR and pull the program logos from Google Image Search (and cache them in the resource directory for future use the first time a new program is pulled in). It works fine, but how would I go about triggering an event periodically to continue playing the stream but update the metadata associated with the track, i.e., Artist, Track Name, and Album Art, which are the three fields I utilize. As it functions now, I am setting that info on the initial playback, but when the program changes (same stream), I can't manage to update it.

Thanks, and sorry for such a general question which may already be answered. In summary, is there any way to update an audio track's metadata and on-screen display while it's playing, without stopping the stream and restarting it?

Best Answer

Answers

• fecaleaglefecaleagle Posts: 124Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 21

@shopgirl284, so are you saying that I can read say, 24 hours worth of schedule at the beginning of playback and establish the playback time signatures for each program over that period with the appropriate metadata in advance via "parts"?

I'm not familiar with the Plex Channel playback APIs, but if I can in fact divide a single stream into parts relative to the start time, then that will be sufficient and I'll mark this as the answer. Since it's only for personal use, 24 hours of program metadata will be more than sufficient.

Just to be clear about terminology, parts represent essentially arbitrary divisions of the playback timeline, and I can assign them with their own metadata at the beginning of playback?

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,754Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

I may have spoken incorrectly about the parts.

The only attribute I ever add for a part is the duration. I will have to look back at the Framework and see what attributes there are for parts.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• fecaleaglefecaleagle Posts: 124Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@shopgirl284 said:
    I may have spoken incorrectly about the parts.

The only attribute I ever add for a part is the duration. I will have to look back at the Framework and see what attributes there are for parts.

That's okay. I think I'm going to roll it as a separate Android TV app instead. I flipped through the Framework documentation without seeing anything promising, and I found some similar attempts to accomplish the same thing without success on the forum. Slightly more work up front, but much better documentation and control in the long run... :/