If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

IP Lan setup between Samsung TV Plex app and Server directly (No modem/router)

Hi Orca

Hope you are feeling better :)
Sorry to bother you, but I need your assistance and expertise...

I hope you can guide or help me in the following:
I setup the PMS on my server (HP Server) and connected to my Samsung Smart TV.

Currently i am using the PMS itself as the player, but would rather like to use the Samsung Plex app for a player. So i installed the app and can connect through WiFi and is connecting (linking).
The problem is that the WiFi setup from phone was a temporary setup to get it linked. I then connected the LAN cable directly from the HP server to the Samsung TV (without modem), but it is not seeing IP's addresses correctly.

Could you perhaps assist me with the correct setup (IP's setup) so the Samsung TV Plex can see my HP server LAN cable?

Sorry IT not my expertise :)

Hope you can assist in setup and hope you recover soon :)

Regards

Best Answers

• anaglyptaanaglypta Posts: 48Members ✭✭
    edited August 23 Accepted Answer

@Pbear12

There is no guarantee that a PMS and client will work in this way. I have never tried it, but if you want to you will first need to get crossover RJ45 Ethernet cable. Something like this (NB other market sites are available :))

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-CAT5e-Crossover-Patch-Cable/dp/B004X625R8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1503438479&sr=8-7&keywords=rj45+crossover+cable

You will then need to configure your server and TV to use fixed IP addresses.
    On a Windows PC you can do this from "Network and Sharing Centre" and then click on "change adaptor settings" to find your Local Area Connection.

You will need to use a fixed IP such as 192.168.1.1, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and default gateway 192.168.1.1 (although the gateway will make little difference in this configuration)

Then on the TV in Network Settings, turn off "Obtain Automatically" and enter 192.168.1.2 in the IP address field. Use the same subnet mask and gateway as you did on the Server.

In the Plex app on the TV enter the server address as 192.168.1.1

The TV and server should now see each other, but you won't have any internet connection on either, and the TV will probably sulk about that!

Good luck, and don't forget to report back

John.

Answers

• umiq88umiq88 Posts: 146Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Connect your TV to your home network through your Ethernet switch and also connect your PC to your home network through your Ethernet switch

A couple of reasons why
    1. Your TV and PC are probably setup for DHCP
    2. Your TV may not have an autosense port
    3. Plex app on TV needs an internet connection for token

• Pbear12Pbear12 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Hi Umiq88

Thanks for the reply :) The thing is i would like to cut out any switches/modems/routers...just a straight cable from PC to TV (with LAN).
    1. Your TV and PC are probably setup for DHCP - How do i change it?
    2. Your TV may not have an autosense port - How do i check?

Again thanks for the assistance :)

Regards

• anaglyptaanaglypta Posts: 48Members ✭✭
    edited August 23 Accepted Answer

@Pbear12

There is no guarantee that a PMS and client will work in this way. I have never tried it, but if you want to you will first need to get crossover RJ45 Ethernet cable. Something like this (NB other market sites are available :))

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-CAT5e-Crossover-Patch-Cable/dp/B004X625R8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1503438479&sr=8-7&keywords=rj45+crossover+cable

You will then need to configure your server and TV to use fixed IP addresses.
    On a Windows PC you can do this from "Network and Sharing Centre" and then click on "change adaptor settings" to find your Local Area Connection.

You will need to use a fixed IP such as 192.168.1.1, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and default gateway 192.168.1.1 (although the gateway will make little difference in this configuration)

Then on the TV in Network Settings, turn off "Obtain Automatically" and enter 192.168.1.2 in the IP address field. Use the same subnet mask and gateway as you did on the Server.

In the Plex app on the TV enter the server address as 192.168.1.1

The TV and server should now see each other, but you won't have any internet connection on either, and the TV will probably sulk about that!

Good luck, and don't forget to report back

John.

• Pbear12Pbear12 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@ anaglypta

Thanks so much for the detailed information...excactly what i needed to know :smile:

Really appreciate yours guys input and help :smiley:

Regards
    Manuel