Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No DVR functionality from the LG Plex app?

jimhongjimhong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

Hi there,

I can load up the program guide and watch TV from my iOS device. I had been hoping to be able to do the same from the Plex app on my LG 4k TV. Is that not possible? How do you cut the cord with Plex/HDHomeRun on a TV if the TV app doesn't have the DVR functionality?

Thanks,
Jim

Best Answers

• nokdimnokdim Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,375 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

So the DVR or "setup recordings" just schedules stuff so in the web you can search for any show or upcoming sports event that is in your program guide and schedule it to record new episodes or repeats and after the recording is done that item will be added to your plex library. So to answer your question yes you can schedule a recording in the web console and your recorded shows will automagically show up on your TV. Recorded items you can obviously rewind or pause or fast forward.

As far as "Live TV" until the LG TV is supported for Live TV which there is no defined date at this time you can install the HDHR V2 plugin I mentioned above and you will get a basic EPG or Electronic Programing Guide that shows you what is on right now and allows you to watch Live TV as well, you can pause using this plugin and resume! (See Shot below)

This HDHR V2 thing has been around for years way before DVR so right now its kind of disjoined where recordings are done inside Plex and Live TV is done via a 3rd party plugin.

I hope that answers your questions.

• nokdimnokdim Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Posts: 1,375 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

Yeah any Apple IOS based devices has live TV support.

Unfortunately the recording does not appear until after the recording is completed so no you can't wait 5 minutes and watch it "live" but it sounds like you can do that with the AppleTV with its Live TV working already.

Answers

edited August 2017

patience! its coming but yes its frustrating...

Until it is supported check out the HDHR 2 Viewer plugin which will let you watch live tv and see current listings...
    https://github.com/zynine-/HDHRViewerV2.bundle

But no you cant mess with the DVR functions from your TV yet and honestly for me it seems easier to manage DVR in the web console just my 2 cents.

• jimhongjimhong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

Sorry for being such a noob, but I just got the HDHomeRun EXTEND today and my NAS is en route, so I've temporarily installed the Plex Server on my Windows box (which I don't want it on long term).

So if I set up a recording using the Web console, will I be able to see it on the LG Plex client? I don't want to set up a bunch of shares on my PC, so I haven't done any of that yet.

I don't often want to watch "Live TV" but I do occasionally. And I was really hoping to have the Plex DVR functionality for football season so that I can pause the game and resume when I want. But it looks like I'm not going to be able to watch the game at all now?

Accepted Answer

So the DVR or "setup recordings" just schedules stuff so in the web you can search for any show or upcoming sports event that is in your program guide and schedule it to record new episodes or repeats and after the recording is done that item will be added to your plex library. So to answer your question yes you can schedule a recording in the web console and your recorded shows will automagically show up on your TV. Recorded items you can obviously rewind or pause or fast forward.

As far as "Live TV" until the LG TV is supported for Live TV which there is no defined date at this time you can install the HDHR V2 plugin I mentioned above and you will get a basic EPG or Electronic Programing Guide that shows you what is on right now and allows you to watch Live TV as well, you can pause using this plugin and resume! (See Shot below)

This HDHR V2 thing has been around for years way before DVR so right now its kind of disjoined where recordings are done inside Plex and Live TV is done via a 3rd party plugin.

• jimhongjimhong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

@nokdim said:

Yes, that helps. It's a little disappointing, but I think I can work around it. I really only have 2 primary use cases for the Plex/HDhomeRun: DVR CBS shows & pause "live" events like sports.

I can get almost every show I want with a combination of Sling/Hulu/Netflix. CBS doesn't play nice with them, which is where Plex comes in handy. Pausing "iive" TV is what I'm going to miss most about not having true DVR in the native LG Plex client. Although, it turns out that you can pause live TV when watching the Apple TV Plex client, which all of a sudden makes the Apple TV the primary box, I think.

One question, though. If I schedule a game to record, will it only appear in the "Recorded Items" after it's complete or when it starts to record? If the latter, then I can just wait 5 minutes and effectively watch it "live."

Accepted Answer

Yeah any Apple IOS based devices has live TV support.

Unfortunately the recording does not appear until after the recording is completed so no you can't wait 5 minutes and watch it "live" but it sounds like you can do that with the AppleTV with its Live TV working already.

• ataboyx1ataboyx1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

@nokdim said:
    patience! its coming but yes its frustrating...

OK have been patient for another 6 months now. Can we get something more specific than "...its coming".

The main reason I upgraded to plex pass was for the Live TV capability. But if my Samsung TV cannot access Plex Program Guide and Recording Schedule it greatly complicates having Plex as the hub for cutting the cord.

I see that the Samsung app has finally received an update 3.2.2 from 3.1.0 on Tizen. I was all excited, BUT nothing in it for DVR functionality.

• mbcplexservermbcplexserver Members, Plex Pass Posts: 108 Plex Pass
    edited April 29

Still nothing? Why is there not a single response/update from the devs in nearly 9 months! My Brand New LG 4K is 6 Months old and I still can't use DVR on it....

• stevie.stevie. Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

@mbcplexserver said:
    Still nothing? Why is there not a single response/update from the devs in nearly 9 months! My Brand New LG 4K is 6 Months old and I still can't use DVR on it....

this was pretty much the reason i canceled my plex pass about a year ago because dvr isn't in the samsung tv app either. it's not a very useful app if i still have to rely on another device to schedule/manage recordings while i am sitting in front of the tv.

in my opinion, the developers put too much time trying to get a plex app on anything that uses electricity that they just don't seem to focused on streamlining the apps through all the devices.

• SE56SE56 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,290 Plex Pass

@stevie. said:

@mbcplexserver said:

this was pretty much the reason i canceled my plex pass about a year ago because dvr isn't in the samsung tv app either. it's not a very useful app if i still have to rely on another device to schedule/manage recordings while i am sitting in front of the tv.

in my opinion, the developers put too much time trying to get a plex app on anything that uses electricity that they just don't seem to focused on streamlining the apps through all the devices.

I'm in the same boat with an LG 4k TV but I just use my ipad to start a recording or my iMac depending on where I'm in my house. So at this point no issue but would welcome the DVR function on the TV.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• mbcplexservermbcplexserver Members, Plex Pass Posts: 108 Plex Pass

The problem I had on Sunday (Like before) was I wanted to watch the F1 which had already started and without this "feature" I cannot start watching a program I have already started recording unless on Android/Apple etc...

• patrickt333patrickt333 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

This plugin still doesn't let me watch live TV over my LG TV. The only thing it does is let me watch live TV on my browser, which I could do already. I still don't understand why I can't cast live TV but at this point, my hdhomerun seems like a waste of money if all I can do is watch on a tablet. What am I missing here?

• htfishhtfish Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Wish it was made clear the LG webOS TV OLED55B7T plex app doesn't show live tv before I received the new hdhomerun quad tuner HDHR5-4DT(AU). Can't even cast from android app like i can with a chromecast I have hooked up to a dumb tv in the bedroom. Good job! Plex as a whole (android apps included which is slow & buggy) is not a good solution for live tv.