If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

1080p HEVC jittering Samsung 2014

DasMarxDasMarx Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,
I can play 4k HEVC streams without any jittering or stuttering and there is no transcoding or buffering present.
Using a 78HU8500 Samsung TV, I am seeing issues with 1080p HEVC material.

There is no buffering problem, nor is the video transcoded to H264, but the video is somehow jittering and not very smooth. Is this a problem of the TV or maybe Samsungs software?

When the video is transcoded to H264, when subtitles are burnt in, I don't see any jitter at all and the video is played smoothly.
I could just transcode all videos up front to H264 but it seems like more and more video files are in HEVC.

Additional information, the same files are playing fine on a Nvidia Shield TV with direct play connected to the same TV.

Answers

• DasMarxDasMarx Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Am I the only one seeing this issue? I don't want to reencode the 1080p rips, that I already have in HEVC and would like to know if this issue is caused by wrong encodes or if this is a general problem on 2014er Samsung models that just can't play HEVC 1080p material.

• mdnitoilmdnitoil Posts: 380Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Personally, I've been staying away from HEVC. That being said, it could be the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit. I'm not sure how well developed 10-bit support was in the Samsung in 2014.

• Frank LoganFrank Logan Posts: 82Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@felix.marx@gmail.com said:
    Am I the only one seeing this issue? I don't want to reencode the 1080p rips, that I already have in HEVC and would like to know if this issue is caused by wrong encodes or if this is a general problem on 2014er Samsung models that just can't play HEVC 1080p material.

2014 H-Series

HEVC codec is only available in MKV /MP4 / TS containers. Streaming and DLNA are not supported.

2012 Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater
    2012 Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, with attached 2014 Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-2000
    2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6
    Kangaroo PC Pro, Windows 10, Plex Media Server, with 2TB Seagate HDD

• DasMarxDasMarx Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, this is a 2014 H-series model. 4k HEVC works without jitter, I only see this issue when watching 1080p HEVC direct plays. I switched back to using h264 encoded movies or force the transcode on existing files.