If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Convert/Transcode EAC3 / DTS-HD to AC3 / DTS output for Optical

MontagoMontago Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm using my RasPLEX with a Samsung TV which is able to passthrough audio over TosLink/Optical to my Logitech surround sound.

EAC3 and DTS-HD are not supported - so it would be awesome if the RasPLEX client would transcode/convert the output before it sends it to the TV.

I've found a temporary solution, by setting the output to 2.0 channels and then convert everything - but i'm not sure if this is truly the best solution.

Answers

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 309Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Toslink doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to transport EAC. Of course you can downgrade it to PCM2.0 but you are loosing the surround support.

Im not sure a Rpi has the necessary power to live transcode to AC3 and evendently your tv isnt doing that work

You have 2 possible solutions for a true surround sound, you can transcode all your videos with something like handbrake or PopCorn Audio Converter to replace the EAC3 track for an AC3, or better add an aditional AC3 track if you want to keep both.

Or you could force your server to do the hard work by creating a custom profile for the rasplex player. This approach its already been used for chromecast and this guy its trying to do the same on reddit but its not working for him right now. Still its a valid approach

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,741Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • MontagoMontago Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Raspberry Pi 2 has plenty of CPU to transcode audio, it's using the GPU for video so the CPU is free for audio processing.

I've managed to find some settings that more or less work and sends Dolby / 5.1 to the speakers through the HDMI - but it's kind of hacky and i'm in doubt if it's the optimal solution.

I'll have a look at the Reddit thread - Thanks !